Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Vanquished wrote:
    You should be writing for the Limerick Leader with a mindset like that.

Ridiculous comment extra jobs for the city are always good which was my point but this thread has now become more about some posters commenting on improvements quickly followed by others saying will it be electric, will it be biodegradable, it could be done better, lets save money and do nothing, lets make everyone walk and cycle.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I noticed that in the latest list of CPOs, the council have announced their intention to CPO 34-41 Catherine St and 43-46 Cecil St.

It will be interesting to see what (if any) plans they have for these buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

I noticed that in the latest list of CPOs, the council have announced their intention to CPO 34-41 Catherine St and 43-46 Cecil St.

It will be interesting to see what (if any) plans they have for these buildings.

That's fantastic news, both sites are in desperate need of some care, a tourist hostel in the city centre would be fantastic and either site would be good for that. Though the former Globe building would probably be the better of the 2 for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭sioda

Any news on those two sites is good news. Both have been empty and rotting for too long

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

This is the site of the proposed residential development block. Limerick 2030 are to refurbish/develope a small number of residential units to try spur private investment. It’s coming about 4 years too late and unlikely to be developed in the short to medium term

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Looking a t fresh road marking they must be a pedestrian crossing going into Cecil St, near the Taxi Rank and they seem to be extending the pavement out onto O'Connell St at the Cecil St junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

mdmix wrote: »
    This is the site of the proposed residential development block. Limerick 2030 are to refurbish/develope a small number of residential units to try spur private investment. It’s coming about 4 years too late and unlikely to be developed in the short to medium term
    Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭mart 23

According to the ABP site the decision date for the Opera Centre is the 12/09/2019

Why?

this is the least talked about 2030 project. there are no details available on it. i expect we wont hear any more about it for another 2-3 years before planning begins. i cant imagine limerick 2030 will be working on the opera site, mungret and this site at the same time so its likely a 5-6 years before this starts

this is the least talked about 2030 project. there are no details available on it. i expect we wont hear any more about it for another 2-3 years before planning begins. i cant imagine limerick 2030 will be working on the opera site, mungret and this site at the same time so its likely a 5-6 years before this starts

Have you a link for any of this? I'm aware of the plan to reinvigorate Georgian Limerick, but can't find any link to these buildings on Catherine St.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

If the Opera Centre is 2030 I’d say they may as may just scrap it at this stage

Have you a link for any of this? I'm aware of the plan to reinvigorate Georgian Limerick, but can't find any link to these buildings on Catherine St.

the demo block has been mention in the leader and possibly limerick.ie. i will try find a link. the timeline is my opinion

bigpink wrote: »
    If the Opera Centre is 2030 I’d say they may as may just scrap it at this stage

What are you on about? It's at ABP and financed. Construction will start next year as long as it gets planning permission.

The city is going backwards need infrastructure not the Opera centre

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

What infrastructure is needed, do you think?

zulutango wrote: »
    What infrastructure is needed, do you think?

Housing in City Centre and transport

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Was in town on Sunday evening around 6pm - the city is not dead

Mc Love wrote: »
    Was in town on Sunday evening around 6pm - the city is not dead

Yeah it was I agree I was in town that time too.Restaurants were packed with mother’s Day the amount of illegal parking was crazy on Sunday
    Pubs prob busy with hurling match

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

What are you on about? It's at ABP and financed. Construction will start next year as long as it gets planning permission.

As far as i know permission was granted, it just needs to go through the process which is only a couple of months. I thought construction/enabling works were to begin in june or something like that

dave 27 wrote: »
    As far as i know permission was granted, it just needs to go through the process which is only a couple of months. I thought construction/enabling works were to begin in june or something like that

No it went directly to ABP. Local part 8 planning was pulled. It will take at least 6 months and probably more with the ABP backlog. Enabling works can be done before planning has been received.

• Advertisement

Housing in City Centre and transport

Can you be more specific on transport?

No it went directly to ABP. Local part 8 planning was pulled. It will take at least 6 months and probably more with the ABP backlog. Enabling works can be done before planning has been received.

It's a strategic application, so won't be subject to the same backlogs as other projects. Enabling works require planning also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Yeah it was I agree I was in town that time too.Restaurants were packed with mother’s Day the amount of illegal parking was crazy on Sunday
    Pubs prob busy with hurling match

It’s out of control but has been for years. Hard to deal with the level of ignorance in Limerick. Posting pictures on twitter and Facebook is all well and good but we can’t have guards or traffic wardens on every street at all times.

zulutango wrote: »
    It's a strategic application, so won't be subject to the same backlogs as other projects. Enabling works require planning also.

Strategic planning is the reason for the delays at ABP now that every development over 100 housing units goes directly to them. They have seen a 10% staff reduction in the last decade, but have seen a 20% year on year increase in applications over the last two years.

And it's down for decision in September, so will still have taken 6 months if it's not delayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Town was mobbed on Saturday morning/early afternoon. I was struck by the amount of people with shopping bags too. Great to see.

Good weather definitely helped but they need traffic wardens on Saturdays and Sundays too. The blatant abandonment of cars is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Mc Love wrote: »
    Good weather definitely helped but they need traffic wardens on Saturdays and Sundays too. The blatant abandonment of cars is ridiculous.

People pulling up Outside Brown Thomas has to be the worst area. People parking at the bus stop outside St.Augustines Church and the bus has no other choice then but to stop on the street blocking traffic.

Are there any traffic wardens in limerick? Not too long ago i left my car parked on O'Connell street outside the texas steakout. Had a few pints and got a taxi home.

I had every intention of going in the next morning but i slept in and it was 12 when i got in to town. 2 months later and I haven't received any fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

CosmicFool wrote: »
    People pulling up Outside Brown Thomas has to be the worst area. People parking at the bus stop outside St.Augustines Church and the bus has no other choice then but to stop on the street blocking traffic.

Are there any traffic wardens in limerick? Not too long ago i left my car parked on O'Connell street outside the texas steakout. Had a few pints and got a taxi home.

I had every intention of going in the next morning but i slept in and it was 12 when i got in to town. 2 months later and I haven't received any fine.

Get your facts right, it's called the unofficial Chicken Hut parking spots :D

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Glenomra

the potential of Limerick is highlighted again today with the publication of the figures relating to average disposable income in the Republic. Limerick remarkably in second place after Dublin, higher than every other county. i don't expect to see this fact highlighted in the media which seems to prefer talking about the number of 'sink estates etc.

• Advertisement

Glenomra wrote: »
    the potential of Limerick is highlighted again today with the publication of the figures relating to average disposable income in the Republic. Limerick remarkably in second place after Dublin, higher than every other county. i don't expect to see this fact highlighted in the media which seems to prefer talking about the number of 'sink estates etc.

Yet our wages arent as high as dublin and are some way off what one would be paid in the same jobs in Dublin

Advertisement