Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Mc Love wrote: »
    Yet our wages arent as high as dublin and are some way off what one would be paid in the same jobs in Dublin

I earn a standard wage for a standard gov job. My peers in Dublin pay more to rent a room in a house than my mortgage. That's why. Wages remain relatively constant yet living costs are totally disproportionate.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I've just seen this posted over on Skyscrapercity. A possible major apartment development on Pa Healy Road. It would be brilliant if it went ahead.

http://www.rwnowlan.ie/canal-bank-limerick/

Seven apartment blocks ranging in height between six and 16 storeys (283 apartments);
    Eight three storey duplex apartment units (20 apartments);
    30 no. three storey three and four bedroom dwelling units;
    One student accommodation block of three to six storeys with two retail units on the ground floor (280 sq. m) accommodating ca. 196 beds paces;
    One two storey childcare building plus café (369 sq. m);

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

great news but Im waiting to be told post haste why it is a terrible idea

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Great idea except the student village or it needs to be completely separate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭sioda

bigpink wrote: »
    Great idea except the student village or it needs to be completely separate
    Student Village works well as part of the grove. Island set up

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

sioda wrote: »
    Student Village works well as part of the grove. Island set up

Is it completely separate?
    Thought the Grove Island was all students

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Does anyone have an update on the Bishop's Quay development? Planning permission at least granted over a year ago and absolutely no sign of movement on site.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭sioda

No you've 3 blocks in the Grove island set up lock mills which is residential and fisherman's Quay which is the same its the block behind super valu which is the student one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

In other good news for the city, UL have purchased the Dunnes Stores site on Sarsfield Bridge.

The aim is to develop a city campus for 2000 students and over 100 staff. UL will purchase the site for €8milllion and hope to have the city campus completed for 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

In other good news for the city, UL have purchased the Dunnes Stores site on Sarsfield Bridge.

The aim is to develop a city campus for 2000 students and over 100 staff. UL will purchase the site for €8milllion and hope to have the city campus completed for 2022.

Link?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

source wrote: »
    Link?

The info I posted was circulated to UL staff. The Leader have the story now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

source wrote:
    Link?

Don't have a link, but UL staff just received an email from the president confirming the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭madbeanman

I've just seen this posted over on Skyscrapercity. A possible major apartment development on Pa Healy Road. It would be brilliant if it went ahead.

Seven apartment blocks ranging in height between six and 16 storeys (283 apartments);
    One student accommodation block of three to six storeys with two retail units on the ground floor (280 sq. m) accommodating ca. 196 beds paces;

I’m all for this just wondering how well the area is serviced by both public transport and services (besides childcare)?

Because such a development is like proper city urban density and therefore would deserve such services.

EDIT: Nevermind. Didn’t see that it was the Pa Healy Road. Chalk it up to Friday evening tiredness.

I do hope this goes ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

zulutango wrote: »

Finally. This is brilliant news for the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

Some photos from the website.

Canal-Bank-2.png
    Canal-Bank-5.png
    Canal-Bank-3.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

It won't be winning any awards for aesthetics anyway. Let's hope they're otherwise well designed.

I've noticed that this has already been submitted to ABP with a decision date of 29th May.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

That's just a consultation. An Bord Pleanala will appraise the suitability of the application before it can be formally submitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Glenomra

It fascinates me how the Dublin media continue to overlook the progress Limerick is making. Two further announcements of jobs today. While both will be noted in news reports the overall trend, of significant new development in city and environs, is continually missed. I am looking forward to the day when they notice the 'elephant in the room', the fact that Limerick is making significant progress.!!!!!

• Advertisement

Glenomra wrote: »
    It fascinates me how the Dublin media continue to overlook the progress Limerick is making. Two further announcements of jobs today. While both will be noted in news reports the overall trend, of significant new development in city and environs, is continually missed. I am looking forward to the day when they notice the 'elephant in the room', the fact that Limerick is making significant progress.!!!!!

In fairness the UL story was reported in both Newstalk and on Virgin Media with interviews with the President.

Those are two of the most Dublin-centric national outlets out there.

But I hear you. It’s the same all over the world but especially in the case of countries with primate cities, like Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

madbeanman wrote: »
    In fairness the UL story was reported in both Newstalk and on Virgin Media with interviews with the President.

Those are two of the most Dublin-centric national outlets out there.

But I hear you. It’s the same all over the world but especially in the case of countries with primate cities, like Ireland

It was also in the side bar of Morning Ireland on RTE News Now this morning. Must have been reported on at some point to be in the sidebar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭leakyboots

What's going on in Dublin at the moment with gangs seems to be far worse than what was going on in Limerick, I wonder will the media coin a new derogatory nickname for Dublin?

LIT just announced a new sponsorship/partnership deal with Limerick GAA

https://sportinglimerick.com/gaelic-grounds-to-be-renamed-as-limerick-gaa-lit-sign-exciting-partnership/?fbclid=IwAR3iSV7Ar62fIGij327ksapzdXy7YzZQLuUs0OOVR8yQ6B_DSCDErqgo46M

Limerick GAA and LIT have today signed a major 10-year partnership that will see range of community-focused initiatives flow during period of substantial redevelopment at the Gaelic Grounds.

The first partnership of its kind in Ireland, it is being positioned as a legacy of Limerick’s historic 2018 All-Ireland Senior Hurling title, and will include:

Dedicated scholarship scheme for Limerick GAA Club members to attend LIT;
    Limerick GAA internships and work experience for LIT students in sports coaching, event management, marketing and other areas;
    LIT support for Limerick GAA clubs;
    Use of LIT campus facilities by Limerick GAA teams and administration;
    Use of the grounds as a “Living Lab” for LIT students for educational and other purposes;
    Re-naming of the Gaelic Grounds to LIT Gaelic Grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

Great day for the parish!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Mc Love wrote: »

That's not one bit surprising..........

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/374872/revealed-university-of-limerick-s-design-concept-of-vacantdunnes-stores-site.html

This one image isn’t much to go off as regards the look of the place but it’s a substantial piece of investment in terms of size and scale. Should turn heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

On the canal bank apartment blocks good to see development like this in the area but i would be interested to see the flood mitigation works for the area though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

On the canal bank apartment blocks good to see development like this in the area but i would be interested to see the flood mitigation works for the area though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Door open on the Bishops house on Henry Street with 2 Connack construction vans outside. Could we finally be seeing some movement on the Bishop's Quay project?

Advertisement