Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

source wrote: »
    Door open on the Bishops house on Henry Street with 2 Connack construction vans outside. Could we finally be seeing some movement on the Bishop's Quay project?

Id say any involvement in this high profile development would be all over the media if they were due to start. Id be surprised if they started without even a mention to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

source wrote:
    Door open on the Bishops house on Henry Street with 2 Connack construction vans outside. Could we finally be seeing some movement on the Bishop's Quay project?

This job is stalled at the minute and won't be starting for a while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭apc

kilburn wrote: »
    This job is stalled at the minute and won't be starting for a while yet.
    Do you know why not or have you any info at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

apc wrote: »

I see on p71 of the post there is a whole page planning application for the opera centre. Movement in the right direction hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

Great news about UL. Limerick really needs it

• Advertisement

apc wrote:

I have information yes and it is commercially sensitive so can't post it here

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

Some photos from the website.

Canal-Bank-2.png
    Canal-Bank-5.png

They both remind me of a website i stumbled across that had old abandoned communists buildings:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gryff

Can you say that the project isnt dead ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Canal-Bank-2.png
    Canal-Bank-5.png

They both remind me of a website i stumbled across that had old abandoned communists buildings:D:D

Limerick Soviet!

gryff wrote:
    Can you say that the project isnt dead ?

Project is definitely not dead but the current plan will be changing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

Yawn. This is 2019.

Spit out your bit of rumour before somebody beats you to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

tweek84 wrote: »

Canal-Bank-2.png
    Canal-Bank-5.png

Can you share some examples of other styles of developments along the lines of what you'd rather see go there. I'm just curious, I think it should look pretty decent when finished but of course there are better looking apartments being made in the world so I'd like to see what you think would look better while being a realistic option instead

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

It’s not a public project so prob a overpriced hotel or bar/restaurant

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Someone on the Leader facebook comments section was saying it will be another Grenfell, christ some people are stupid

jasper100 wrote:
    Yawn. This is 2019.

jasper100 wrote:
    Spit out your bit of rumour before somebody beats you to it.

Not a rumour it's fact and you probably didn't see the "commercially sensitive" piece

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Not a rumour it's fact and you probably didn't see the "commercially sensitive" piece

So basically a private landlord?Didnt the Mayors uncle own this building?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

bigpink wrote: »
    So basically a private landlord?Didnt the Mayors uncle own this building?

WTF?????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

Anyone know what the plan is for Sarsfield house in the city?

I know it was earmarked for demolition, initially the staff were t be moved from there to the opera centre a couple of years ago when the plans were first raised, anyone have any more info on it?

I remember seeing an image of a big plaza square with a glass building i think supposed to be there, with the old dunnes being bought and starting to get redeveloped you would think arthurs quay park and this building would be a realistic contender for redevelopment, it would be an amazing space for the city

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Was walking past it and it was renovated into apartments, they'd have some view of the river/castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Mc Love wrote: »
    Was walking past it and it was renovated into apartments, they'd have some view of the river/castle.

I'd rather see it opened up, with smaller buildings beside the footpath for restaurants, bars and cafes and public park space beside the river.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gryff

source wrote: »
    I'd rather see it opened up, with smaller buildings beside the footpath for restaurants, bars and cafes and public park space beside the river.
    I think the plan is to knock it down once the new offices are ready in the Opera development

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The Curragower House development has been appealed to ABP by An Taisce. http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/304119.htm

Great let's just leave it fall down

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

The Curragower House development has been appealed to ABP by An Taisce. http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/304119.htm

Observations can be lodged with An Bord Pleanála before 1st May 2019.

For those who feel strongly about it, as many clearly do, a very easy to follow and informative guide on how to make an observation can be found here - http://www.pleanala.ie/guide/appeal_guide.htm#obv

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I plan on putting in an observation FWIW, if anyone lacks the means to put one in themselves and would like me to include something on their behalf I'm happy to consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

keane2097 wrote: »
    I plan on putting in an observation FWIW, if anyone lacks the means to put one in themselves and would like me to include something on their behalf I'm happy to consider it.

What's the issue with what they're doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

CosmicFool wrote: »

To paraphrase a recent ABP decision I saw I believe the proposal would "seriously detract from the setting and character of the area" and have a "significant and detrimental visual impact on views and vistas in the city".

Basically the yoke they're planning on building is as ugly as mortal sin and I think it would look terrible along what is a particularly beautiful riverfront stretch there.

I think it would be a pity to knock the house that's there already but if it's totally unsalvageable they could at least try to be somewhat sympathetic in design to the likes of the old barracks, Jackson's Turret and St Munchin's which are all within a few yards of it.

I mean honestly look at the state of it:

?width=630&version=4181031

EDIT:

In case anyone is unfamiliar with the location, right in the very centre of the image below is where they want to erect this broken thumb of a yoke:

panorama-of-clancy-strand-limericks-city-centre-picture-id517858956

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

keane2097 wrote: »
    To paraphrase a recent ABP decision I saw I believe the proposal would "seriously detract from the setting and character of the area" and have a "significant and detrimental visual impact on views and vistas in the city".

Basically the yoke they're planning on building is as ugly as mortal sin and I think it would look terrible along what is a particularly beautiful riverfront stretch there.

I think it would be a pity to knock the house that's there already but if it's totally unsalvageable they could at least try to be somewhat sympathetic in design to the likes of the old barracks, Jackson's Turret and St Munchin's which are all within a few yards of it.

I mean honestly look at the state of it:

?width=630&version=4181031

EDIT:

In case anyone is unfamiliar with the location, right in the very centre of the image below is where they want to erect this broken thumb of a yoke:

panorama-of-clancy-strand-limericks-city-centre-picture-id517858956

a building like that is fine in 90% of cases, however Limerick have already or planned to destroy much of its Georgian buildings, along Rutland/Patricks st, for Arthurs Quay and now Opera Centre. Its only as time passes that we realise the importance of old buidlings and their significance. When you look back at old photos of the North strand, Curragower house is prominent in each, so it would be sad to see it gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

CosmicFool wrote: »

Exactly, should it stay forever and ever?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭mart 23

The LCCC have a tender in E Tenders for the construction of 43 houses in Clonmacken.

Advertisement