Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Hoarding is up around the Punches Cross site.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Haha must have missed that this morning, got a lucky break in the lights

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Leader saying that M&S are going to open in the general vicinity of the old dunnes stores, Arthur Quay area. Anyone have any idea where exactly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Glenomra wrote: »
    Leader saying that M&S are going to open in the general vicinity of the old dunnes stores, Arthur Quay area. Anyone have any idea where exactly.

There isn't anywhere in that area for them to go, unless Debenhams is closing. But they recently said that their Irish stores were safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/377612/suburban-limerick-homes-plan-beyond-comprehension.html

This nimbyism is much of what is holding this country back as a whole. The only way is up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/377612/suburban-limerick-homes-plan-beyond-comprehension.html

This nimbyism is much of what is holding this country back as a whole. The only way is up!

It's complete nimbyism. I really hope it gets the go ahead. It's badly needed for limerick. 7 stories high is nothing. God these people would piss you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

A plan for a retail complex in the general Arthur's Quay park/Liddy Street area has been floating around for about 15 years at this point. It must be progressing behind the scenes if Marks & Spencer has confirmed they will be opening a new store in this location.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

More solid journalism from the Leader then!

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭hobie14

Any idea what the new construction is, over the road from Homebase ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

hobie14 wrote: »
    Any idea what the new construction is, over the road from Homebase ?

By the parkway ? A petrol station by the looks of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭hobie14

dashoonage wrote: »
    By the parkway ? A petrol station by the looks of it.

Yes ....Parkway roundabout ... it does look a bit petrol station ...

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭madbeanman

Is this in Annacotty or in the National Technology Park?

If it’s in the National Technology Park or very very close then build away I’d say. (Id imagine there is no residential zoning in the Tenchology Park?)

madbeanman wrote: »
    Is this in Annacotty or in the National Technology Park?

If it’s in the National Technology Park or very very close then build away I’d say. (Id imagine there is no residential zoning in the Tenchology Park?)

Looks to be in the land on the opposite side of the roundabout from the tech park.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

source wrote: »
    Looks to be in the land on the opposite side of the roundabout from the tech park.

It’s across from newtown, directly beside castletroy college. I live in the area, once that field is gone it’s gone, I don’t care what goes in. Maybe once the new apartments go in it might add a bit of supply relief and my rent won’t go up 10% every year.

mdmix wrote: »
    It’s across from newtown, directly beside castletroy college. I live in the area, once that field is gone it’s gone, I don’t care what goes in. Maybe once the new apartments go in it might add a bit of supply relief and my rent won’t go up 10% every year.

I thought that space was being earmarked for a housing estate, and this was to be closer to the Dublin Road?

Edit: reading the article it states the site is "off the Annacotty Roundabout" so not the site you're thinking of.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

source wrote: »
    I thought that space was being earmarked for a housing estate, and this was to be closer to the Dublin Road?

Edit: reading the article it states the site is "off the Annacotty Roundabout" so not the site you're thinking of.

Ah yes, you are correct, now that I look at the photo I know where it is. Not too far away

Off the Annacotty roundabout? Who’s nose is that putting out of joint really?
    The privilege of home ownership is leaving people to pay sky rocketing rents.....again

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/light-rail-system-part-of-35bn-cork-transport-plan-923762.html

The National Transport Authority launches a €3.5 bn transport plan for Cork tomorrow, with the highlight being a €1bn light rail system between Ballincollig and Mahon Point via the city centre. And the Bus Connects plan will add 100km of new bus lanes, detail of which is limited but i guess that will be available tomorrow.

Two things in the report that stood out for me, construction of the 17km light rail system wont likely start until 2031 so even the more optimistic person would be skeptic. And of the 3.5bn, €1.4bn will be spent on road projects!!

So here's hoping Limerick can can do better, if ever we can draft up some plans!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Meanwhile in Limerick, Bus Éireann have amended timetables on all routes with little change.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Meanwhile in Limerick, Bus Éireann have amended timetables on all routes with little change.

And notified users of which on bus stops! Would have been better if they put the timetable on the bus stops

• Advertisement

I don’t think that regional development needs to have cities playing against each other. Galway, Limerick and Cork all need development.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

I see An Post have submitted plans to remove the black times from in front of the PO on Cecil St, there's a bit of an outcry on social media over it. I think it's long overdue, imho, it's terrible looking building.

As an aside I wonder what happened the large painting that was inside the PO for many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭sioda

phog wrote: »
    I see An Post have submitted plans to remove the black times from in front of the PO on Cecil St, there's a bit of an outcry on social media over it. I think it's long overdue, imho, it's terrible looking building.

As an aside I wonder what happened the large painting that was inside the PO for many years.

I'm very against this. The frontage is unique and just needs better maintenance. They are also removing the post boxes as part of the refurbishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Kenny B

sioda wrote: »
    I'm very against this. The frontage is unique and just needs better maintenance. They are also removing the post boxes as part of the refurbishment.

Nonsense, better maintenance = more costs,

Modify, move on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The frontage is horrible and can't be changed fast enough.

It's not just the facade though. By removing the post boxes they are creating more space in the public area and doing a realignment of the customer facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

damowill wrote: »
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/light-rail-system-part-of-35bn-cork-transport-plan-923762.html

The National Transport Authority launches a €3.5 bn transport plan for Cork tomorrow, with the highlight being a €1bn light rail system between Ballincollig and Mahon Point via the city centre. And the Bus Connects plan will add 100km of new bus lanes, detail of which is limited but i guess that will be available tomorrow.

Two things in the report that stood out for me, construction of the 17km light rail system wont likely start until 2031 so even the more optimistic person would be skeptic. And of the 3.5bn, €1.4bn will be spent on road projects!!

So here's hoping Limerick can can do better, if ever we can draft up some plans!!!

That announcement is nothing only a election stunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Treepole wrote:
    That announcement is nothing only a election stunt.

The timing is related to the elections, but the Strategy has been drafted over a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭sioda

Kenny B wrote: »
    Nonsense, better maintenance = more costs,

Modify, move on.
    People here harp on all the time about preserving the city. This is the one of the only tiled frontage buildings left in the city its not in very bad knick and imo adds to the street.
    Another faceless modern upgrade is not needed.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

zulutango wrote: »
    The timing is related to the elections, but the Strategy has been drafted over a few years.
    The timing isn't even directly related to the elections, it was to be announced in February but some councillors weren't happy at the exclusion of the North Ring Road project.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Kenny B

People here harp on all the time about preserving the city. This is the one of the only tiled frontage buildings left in the city its not in very bad knick and imo adds to the street.
    Another faceless modern upgrade is not needed.

People moan about a lot of things, when it hits their pocket it's a different thing altogether, areas of this city are a disgrace for a modern city but progress is blocked by people living in the past,

It's ugly and ugly. Modern upgrades don't have to be faceless,

Advertisement