Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭TheDiceMan2020

I'm not a fan of just knocking buildings for the sake of it but the GPO is a hideous eyesore. Total kip of a place.

You won't find many mourning that place being bulldozed

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I'm not a fan of just knocking buildings for the sake of it but the GPO is a hideous eyesore. Total kip of a place.

You won't find many mourning that place being bulldozed

It's not being bulldozed. The front ground floor facade is being replaced. The rest of the exterior will be untouched.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

https://www.limerick.ie/council/newsroom/public-notices/part-8-development-castletroy-urban-greenway

An Urban Greenway is proposed for Castletroy, linking the gaelscoil with the shopping centre, Castletroy College Road, and residential estates. No map unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

pigtown wrote: »
    https://www.limerick.ie/council/newsroom/public-notices/part-8-development-castletroy-urban-greenway

An Urban Greenway is proposed for Castletroy, linking the gaelscoil with the shopping centre, Castletroy College Road, and residential estates. No map unfortunately

Must have needed a lot of catering services to come up with that idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/417880/multi-million-euro-plan-to-develop-limericks-milk-market.html

Great to see the Milk Market are making plans to expand on their offering. Great as it is it needs to operate daily, when UL and the opera site are fully operational we might finally see this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

It's such a cold spot they should have gone with the original "tent" roof plan rather than the big top it would have offered more protection from the weather.

Either way it's a great spot and I support the stalls every weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭carbonceiling

pigtown wrote: »

Drawings have now been added, the application number is 198001

In the past, there have been a few calls on here for a new public park in limerick city. Peoples park is a fantastic resource but is not very large and not suited to leisurely running/cycling. There is plenty of land available near the city, for now, but no plans by the council unfortunately.

Cork city have today opened a new park 3km from the city with a 2.5k looped walk.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/newest-park-in-cork-city-could-become-concert-venue-926154.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

mdmix wrote: »
    In the past, there have been a few calls on here for a new public park in limerick city. Peoples park is a fantastic resource but is not very large and not suited to leisurely running/cycling. There is plenty of land available near the city, for now, but no plans by the council unfortunately.

Cork city have today opened a new park 3km from the city with a 2.5k looped walk.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/newest-park-in-cork-city-could-become-concert-venue-926154.html

There are plans afoot to extend the walking trails in Baggot Estate, increase CCTV etc. It is a fantastic spot as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

There are plans afoot to extend the walking trails in Baggot Estate, increase CCTV etc. It is a fantastic spot as is.

Baggot estate needs a vision. for starters i'd like to see a playground & picnic area similar to CurraghChase. This would at least bring a lot of families to the area. A plethora of eco trail routes would also be good.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the update, I didn’t know about this. While it is certainly welcome, it’s less than half the size of the new park in cork. I definitely feel the city deserves one large park.

Thanks for the update, I didn’t know about this. While it is certainly welcome, it’s less than half the size of the new park in cork. I definitely feel the city deserves one large park.

In fairness Cork is over twice the size of Limerick and to get a site that size Cork had to build on the old city dump at a cost of €40m to remediate the site. Does anyone know what the story is with the former Longpavement dump?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

damowill wrote: »
    Baggot estate needs a vision. for starters i'd like to see a playground & picnic area similar to CurraghChase. This would at least bring a lot of families to the area. A plethora of eco trail routes would also be good.

Mungret is a pretty good existing facility.

In fairness Cork is over twice the size of Limerick and to get a site that size Cork had to build on the old city dump at a cost of €40m to remediate the site. Does anyone know what the story is with the former Longpavement dump?

The immediate urban area of cork and limerick is similar, cork being 20-30% larger. Ideally a park should primarily serve the immediate urban area. Corks new metropolitan area has several small urban centers that are a good distance away front the city, ideally these areas would also have their own parks too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/417880/multi-million-euro-plan-to-develop-limericks-milk-market.html

Great to see the Milk Market are making plans to expand on their offering. Great as it is it needs to operate daily, when UL and the opera site are fully operational we might finally see this

But they are letting pizza and kebab shops open

I suppose a positive development would be the kings island flood Defence as they include a walkway/cycle path, any idea on a timeline for this? Still would be nice to have a large park accessible to the city

I suppose a positive development would be the kings island flood Defence as they include a walkway/cycle path, any idea on a timeline for this? Still would be nice to have a large park accessible to the city

As far as I know there a cycle and walkway around the Kings Island already but no one uses it

bigpink wrote: »

They have some empty units, they will need to fill them if they hope to have the finances to expand.

They have some empty units, they will need to fill them if they hope to have the finances to expand.

I agree but come on?A kebab and pizza shop

• Registered Users Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Probably the year 3000. That's if they even get around to repairing the bank. There's one part of the bank that's completely ****ed and we're lucky down here that it didn't bust the time of the flood.
    As far as I know there a cycle and walkway around the Kings Island already but no one uses it

Should come down one evening and we go for a stroll around the walkway or what's left of the walk. Lots of people, from all parts of the Northside of the city and even other parts would use that walkway before the flood destroyed it.

• Advertisement

Not exactly the safest to walk on now unfortunately.

My understanding is work begins 20/21 on all the city flood defences

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭sioda

It was meant to be a shop as well but the shop offering was one shelf of stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

i heard the Chamber were recently given a peak at the plans for O' Connell street upgrade. Anyone hear anything from it? I did hear that its even more underwhelming than the original plans! hope thats not true...

I was on daft earlier and spotted squire magic red is for sale. What’s interesting is that it’s listed as opposite a future development of 180 apartments, the development being bishops quay. Anyone with any knowledge of this?

https://touch.daft.ie/limerick/commercial-property-for-sale/restaurant-hotel-bar-for-sale/squire-mcguires-limerick-city-limerick-833676

Potential massive project in the pipeline there not Bishops quay

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I was on daft earlier and spotted squire magic red is for sale. What’s interesting is that it’s listed as opposite a future development of 180 apartments, the development being bishops quay. Anyone with any knowledge of this?

https://touch.daft.ie/limerick/commercial-property-for-sale/restaurant-hotel-bar-for-sale/squire-mcguires-limerick-city-limerick-833676

If ever there was a name for a bar it should be squire magic red!? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Old ESB and Bord na gCon space is up for development and iirc the owner of Squire McGuires was one of the objectors to the proposed development

kilburn wrote: »
    Potential massive project in the pipeline there not Bishops quay

If not at Bishops Quay, then where? There's aren't many sites in that area that could accommodate 180 apartments.

If not at Bishops Quay, then where? There's aren't many sites in that area that could accommodate 180 apartments.

I can't comment as I have commercially sensitive information but there are plans in place for a big development close to that site

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

Only places i could think of is

A - The development at dunnes with UL or

B - possibly something happening in the cleeves site?

Advertisement