Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Nice touch having a soprano bat roosting in the Opera centre

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The article is up now. There is no actual delay to the project. It's news that An Taisce have objected (shock horror) to ABP citing rare bats, the height of the buildings and the cost of the development.

They are quite a ridiculous organisation. They say that the buildings are too high try to compare the 15 storey office block to one of the Ballymun towers FFS. And they try to contradict the EIA with respect to the bats.

An Taisce really need their remit and government funding looked at.

Oh and it's only one of 34 submissions. Another Leader BS headline again. Hopefully just like with the Rugby Experience, Bishops Quay and multiple other Limerick developments ABP will again ignore An Taicse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

They are quite a ridiculous organisation. They say that the buildings are too high try to compare the 15 storey office block to one of the Ballymun towers FFS. And they try to contradict the EIA with respect to the bats.

They really are, delay so many worthwhile projects

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

With how much damage has been done to Dublin city centre due to the height restrictions I believe anyone who even mentions tall buildings as if they're a negative should be removed from their positions. It's a City, cities are supposed to have tall buildings in their cores which allow increased density. 15 storeys is nothing, anyone who thinks that's tall must have never left the country and lacks serious imagination and innovative ideas

I see a small project on Catherine St has been approved by ABP. 3 x 3 bed apartments on the first, second and third floors of 67/68 Catherine St. (Above Esquires Coffee shop).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭mart 23

The Opera project on ABP has a decision date not available on it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I see a small project on Catherine St has been approved by ABP. 3 x 3 bed apartments on the first, second and third floors of 67/68 Catherine St. (Above Esquires Coffee shop).
    Hopefully they are of a good standard, would be a nice part of town to live in if the conditions were right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

Planning application in for a 6 storey student apartment block at Hasset's Cross. 31 apartments. The pub will be knocked.

The demolition of of the old Mayes / McEnerys shop and it's replacement by apartments has finally been given permission by the council.

Does anyone know what's going on beside The Belltable on O'Connell St.? Construction work seems to be going on there for a while now

• Advertisement

Does anyone know what's going on beside The Belltable on O'Connell St.? Construction work seems to be going on there for a while now

This permission was granted for 68 O'Connell St.

renovation and extension of the existing, a protected structure. The following works are proposed (i) maintain the basement and ground floor as office use and facilitate internal modification, renovation and restoration; (ii) change of use of the first and second floor from residential to office use and facilitate internal modification, renovation and restoration; (iii)maintain the third floor for residential use and modify and renovate to provide for a 2 bedroom apartment; (iv) provide an extension to the existing office building to include a glazed courtyard area and additional office floorspace at lower ground and upper ground floor; (v) construct a separate two storey mews, commercial building, with independent access from the car parking area for use as a recording studio; (vi) provision of signage on the front elevation of 68 O'Connell Street and on the proposed new commercial mews building to rear; (vii) provision of on-site car parking, with access off Daly's Lane; and (viii) all associated ancillary site development works

pigtown wrote: »
    Planning application in for a 6 storey student apartment block at Hasset's Cross. 31 apartments. The pub will be knocked.

Invalid application so it will have to be resubmitted.
    https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/432172/oppositiongrowing-to-limerick-student-halls-plan.html

I do laugh at the Cllr Benson saying that it's too big and out of character with the area, while also mentioning that it will detract for the 50m tall Thomond Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Invalid application so it will have to be resubmitted.

Fairly poor from the architects

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

it would be a great addition to the area, if it went ahead you could see a similar development on the former woodwork site up the road. the increased density in the area might see improvements to the ballynanty and caherdavin bus schedule. is there parking included in the plan? i see there are houses right next to it on the thomondgate side, whats next to it on the shelbourn road side? is it just the school?

i cant see any merit in denying this planning, a lot of false claims in the article. unfortunately were not a progressive enough city to see something like this. seeing as it has to go through the local authority first as its not big enough to skip this its probably unlikely to go ahead, or if it does they will have to sacrifice 2-3 stories. does anyone know who Shelbourne Medical Properties are? the company is only 2 years old and i cant find any info on them. sounds like the might be looking for planning so they can sell the site on again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

mdmix wrote: »
    Shelbourne Medical Properties are? the company is only 2 years old and i cant find any info on them. sounds like the might be looking for planning so they can sell the site on again

The plans show the ground floor is to be a medical centre, so I would imagine the company will be operating the medical centre and increasing their rent roll with the student accommodation.

mdmix wrote: »
    it would be a great addition to the area, if it went ahead you could see a similar development on the former woodwork site up the road. the increased density in the area might see improvements to the ballynanty and caherdavin bus schedule. is there parking included in the plan? i see there are houses right next to it on the thomondgate side, whats next to it on the shelbourn road side? is it just the school?

i cant see any merit in denying this planning, a lot of false claims in the article. unfortunately were not a progressive enough city to see something like this. seeing as it has to go through the local authority first as its not big enough to skip this its probably unlikely to go ahead, or if it does they will have to sacrifice 2-3 stories. does anyone know who Shelbourne Medical Properties are? the company is only 2 years old and i cant find any info on them. sounds like the might be looking for planning so they can sell the site on again

Why would it be unlikely to go ahead or lose 2 - 3 stories? LCCC have no history or refusing taller developments or lopping off floors. Even if they did refuse it, it would go to ABP. I would be very surprised if this doesn't get planning permission.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Student villages aren’t wanted beside residents because of all the **** behavior out of them
    Ask anyone in Wolfe tone or Edward street how they feel about the City Campus

The Punches Cross student village now has its own website http://punchescrossstudentvillage.com

The Punches Cross student village now has its own website

Very impressive looking, appears to be of a high standard - particularly when compared to some other student villages around the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭madbeanman

Seems like Marks and Spencer’s is happening but I’m confused where it will be on Arthur’s Quay?

• Advertisement

madbeanman wrote: »
    Seems like Marks and Spencer’s is happening but I’m confused where it will be on Arthur’s Quay?

There's a thread on it (and it's been all over local media). Arthurs Quay SC is to undergo a £60m redevelopment with M&S as snchor tenant

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭madbeanman

https://www.limerickleader.ie/gallery/home/434058/revealed-brand-new-plans-for-9-1m-revitalisation-of-limericks-o-connell-street.html

Seems cool. Seems like it would be easy to pedestrianise in the future if necessary too

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Still not online https://mypoint.limerick.ie/

Mayor is getting an interactive water feature!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

It's up now, not what I was hoping for, and will still make some people very unhappy but I reckon it's actually a very good plan.

1 traffic lane, 1 bus lane and no parking from Denmark St to Cecil St.
    Wide pedestrian spaces
    Lots of useful and multifunctional street furniture

I like it, it doesn't go as far as full pedestrianisation but it's not far off.

source wrote: »
    It's up now, but what I was hoping for, and will still make some people very unhappy but I reckon it's actually a very good plan.

1 traffic lane, 1 bus lane and no parking from Denmark St to Cecil St.
    Wide pedestrian spaces
    Lots of useful and multifunctional street furniture

I like it, it doesn't go as far as full pedestrianisation but it's not far off.

Link to the plans

Having looked I'm wondering where are cyclists supposed to go? I'm not even a cyclist and it's seems an obvious omission to me. Shared bus/taxi/cyclist lanes are not a good idea. Can they ever do anything right?

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

Just thinking the same. I haven’t read it yet but see the design drawings. This is a much better plan but surely it could include cycle lane(s)

In the description of proposed works, It does mention the possibility of the vehicle lane potentially being replaced with a cycle lane if the limerick transport strategy makes a decision on this..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I wish to god they would stop this plan, they are pedestrianising the wrong street...the street will be dead after 6 pm just like it is now...they will always be offices and nothing but offices.

Catherine St has way more potential, much less impact on traffic, with a lot of trees up through the centre, it could become one of the finest urban living streets in the country, full of locally owned businesses from bars to butchers, cafes and little restaurants, it is a long street, and there are a lot of buildings that could be torn down, O'Connell St can't be touched.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

Its not bad i guess its better than whats there now. Id like to have seen a better inclusion of trees lining the streets on either side, do right can really do wonders to a streetscape

• Advertisement

I wish to god they would stop this plan, they are pedestrianising the wrong street...the street will be dead after 6 pm just like it is now...they will always be offices and nothing but offices.

Catherine St has way more potential, much less impact on traffic, with a lot of trees up through the centre, it could become one of the finest urban living streets in the country, full of locally owned businesses from bars to butchers, cafes and little restaurants, it is a long street, and there are a lot of buildings that could be torn down, O'Connell St can't be touched.

While not all high class eateries, that stretch has Boojum, Burger King, McDonalds, Starbucks, Subway, Abra, Texas Steakout, Findlater & Co., Woking, Marco Polo and the Jasmine that are all open after 6pm. Add that to Pennys, Debenhans, BT and many others and you'll see that there are actually very few offices along that stretch.

Catherine Street has three pubs and less eateries. It's not much busier than O'Connell St at night.

Advertisement