Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

People love to exaggerate how bad traffic is, same when it comes to parking or the cost of parking. I also didn't notice much issue when Wickham St was closed except for rush hour but it's rush hour and you have to except bad traffic at rush hour. Plus even with Wickham St closed and at its worse the traffic was still better than the other Irish cities.

Wickam street was closed during an off peak travel time and yet it caused gridlock on Roches St.
    worse the traffic was still better than the other Irish cities.

why strive to be as bad?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

lazyman wrote: »

Thinking on it, when you strip out the M&S rubbish, this is the important bit.

The deal will involve a land swap and a remodelling of the current Arthur’s Quay structure. A new city square would be developed as part of the plans, as has been previously envisaged in the Limerick 2030 blueprint.
    Crucially, there will be no detrimental effect on the positions of the 300 staff who work in the shopping centre, which is anchored by Tesco Ireland.

That makes it sound like an extension over the road towards the park with the current shopping center being refurbished. I can't see any other way that the current jobs would be unaffected. It would also mean that the road would be realigned through the park as in the 2030 plan.

Still as I said a few post back, they need to release some renders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

That makes it sound like an extension over the road towards the park with the current shopping center being refurbished. I can't see any other way that the current jobs would be unaffected. It would also mean that the road would be realigned through the park as in the 2030 plan.

Agree that it's all very vague at the moment, but it is just in the proposal stage after all. The developer hasn't even engaged with LCCC yet from what I've read. Piece in todays paper states that the redevelopment/expansion will encompass the former tourist office (which was a cafe up until recently) across the road from the existing Arthurs Quay car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

In true Limerick style these "transformative" and "gamechanging" plans are still some distance from realisation. Despite working on the project for a number of years at this stage, it could be another 12 months before they apply for planning permission according to Mark Tiernan in an interview with the Leader.

No rush lads. It's not like the city centre badly needs a boost or anything!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Had occasion to drive around the city with a visitor over the last few days seeing some places that I hadn't seen in a some time. it strengthened my view that Limerick, Dooradoyle to Castletoy to Caherdavin, as a unit is improving rapidly. The River Shannon is some asset!!! The one area that needs dramatic intervention is of course the city centre. If the Opera Development and Arthur's Quay etc are completed then the improvements will become more evident. Also, the city still has plenty of space for further construction, the old racecourse site etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

If the plans for M&S and other retail companies come to pass it will bring more footfall and employment to the city. One way to manage the traffic impacts would be to focus on the existing rail line into the city. Birdhill Castleconnel, Nenagh etc or all growing areas and with the UL city centre plan councillors should be pushing for the existing rail line potential to be developed. Could even develop a park and ride facility along that line. However I cant see local representatives pushing this even though we are meant to be I the middle of an environmental emergency

It looks like we might finally be seeing UL actually occupying Park Point. Changes to the exterior have been given planning permission by the council.

Planning Ref 19579

elevational modifications to Units 1, 2 and 3. The proposed works comprise of additional cladding, a glazed entrance screen and signage to the south elevation of Unit 2 and 3, additional rooflights, doors and louvre to Unit 2 and an additional door to Unit 1 and associated site works

And as I was looking at the planning website, I see that an application has gone in for 26 x 1 bed and 8 x 2 bed apartments over 5 floors on the Dublin Rd. There are no docs up yet, but I think it's on the corner of the Dublin Rd and the Pennywell Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

And as I was looking at the planning website, I see that an application has gone in for 26 x 1 bed and 8 x 2 bed apartments over 5 floors on the Dublin Rd. There are no docs up yet, but I think it's on the corner of the Dublin Rd and the Pennywell Rd.

Where’s that? The old used car place? Maybe a taxi base at one point too?

I think so, but as I said there aren't any docs up yet, so I'm not 100% sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭manna452121

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Looking like that old car place so. Didn’t realize the site went back as far as Kilmurray Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

And sold a lot of dodgy diesel as well.

That doesn't really give extra details to what I posted above (as it's where I got the info from). Until the documents are uploaded we're none the wiser.

That apartment application is for the yard at the junction of Pennywell Road and Dublin Road. It was sold recently and is also listed on the Derelict Sites Register.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Are there any plans for the old revenue building beside the hunt museum. It's some eyesore.
    Just wondering. Thanks

juneg wrote: »
    Are there any plans for the old revenue building beside the hunt museum. It's some eyesore.
    Just wondering. Thanks

It's supposed to be demolished and replaced by a park when the Opera Center is built. Whether that actually happens or not is another question though.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭topcat72

That apartment application is for the yard at the junction of Pennywell Road and Dublin Road. It was sold recently and is also listed on the Derelict Sites Register.

Great location, on bus routes, walking distance to town and parkway, very close to Clare St LIT and not too far from UL either - an ideal dtudent housing location. The number of prime location sites like this that lie idle ( for years) always amazes me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Yawn green party rubbish comments again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Treepole wrote: »
    Current plans look very drab and uninspiring.

Aesthetics aren't part of ABPs remit, so that will have no bearing on the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

What is the apartment scheme in Bishop's Quay they mentioned? I presume it's a different thing to the long stalled office development that people speculated they wanted to have as apartments instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

June's County Council CEO report lists a 650metre road project with cycle lanes at Towlerton and Groody Road. I assume this is the mooted realignment of Bloodmill Road away from the Ballysimon Road. Did anybody see it advertised anywhere?

pigtown wrote: »
    June's County Council CEO report lists a 650metre road project with cycle lanes at Towlerton and Groody Road. I assume this is the mooted realignment of Bloodmill Road away from the Ballysimon Road. Did anybody see it advertised anywhere?

There's a planning application on this in front of the council at the moment. Kirkland Investments are behind it. They own the surrounding landbank. They've also submitted an hilarious masterplan that hasn't a hope in hell of ever being realised.

I don't believe the development company has ever completed a single project of any significance. Bishop's Quay is going nowhere and they're not in a rush to begin the extension of the Savoy Hotel either.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Yes, case 19546. A new connection from Northern Trust to the Bloodmill Road and the subsequent closure of the Bloodmill Road connection to the Garryglass Roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

Vanquished wrote: »
    There's a planning application on this in front of the council at the moment. Kirkland Investments are behind it. They own the surrounding landbank. They've also submitted an hilarious masterplan that hasn't a hope in hell of ever being realised.

I don't believe the development company has ever completed a single project of any significance. Bishop's Quay is going nowhere and they're not in a rush to begin the extension of the Savoy Hotel either.

It looks like a standard enough outline masterplan to me. The commercial element might take some time but once the school is open I could see housing going in soon enough afterwards

It looks like a standard enough outline masterplan to me. The commercial element might take some time but once the school is open I could see housing going in soon enough afterwards

Standard enough for Dublin landbanks or maybe back in "boomtime" Limerick but not in a climate where we've yet to see a single major project come to fruition since 2008. I'd be highly sceptical that any local developer has the means to bring a number of office blocks, a hotel, medical facility, nursing home, a neighbourhood centre, multiple apartment blocks and dozens of other residential units on stream. Not to mention a development entity that has no track record whatsoever of delivering projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Didn't the garden site come to fruition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Glenomra wrote: »
    Didn't the garden site come to fruition.

Kinda

Advertisement