Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Strettie11 wrote: »
    From the actual report rental rates per Sq metre are the same in Cork and limerick for new build GOLD Standard.

Sadly the state of the 2 markets I hope are not reflected in the quality of the reports the Limerick report is a 1 pager, the Cork report report is a 6 page document more like a promo for Cork

Also of interest is new construction numbers
    Limerick
    completed in first half 5,100 sq metres all in Shannon !!!
    Under construction 9,850 sq m in Castletroy, zero in city

Cork
    completed in first half 10,650 sq m
    under construction 51,050 sq m ( not a typo) 90% of construction in city centre. 7,000 sq M of this will be complete by end 2019, rest end of 2020

The massive redevelopment in Cork is down by the docks on Albert Quay and across the river by the train station. Close to rather than the in city center. A bit like whats happening in Dublin but on a smaller scale.

Unless SFPC decide to move everything to Foynes, I don't think there's space for such large scale redevelopment close to the Limerick city center.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

The massive redevelopment in Cork is down by the docks on Albert Quay and across the river by the train station. Close to rather than the in city center. A bit like whats happening in Dublin but on a smaller scale.

Unless SFPC decide to move everything to Foynes, I don't think there's space for such large scale redevelopment close to the Limerick city center.

Opera center will be mainly office space.

knipex wrote: »
    Opera center will be mainly office space.

True, but I was referring to private sector investment like in Cork. Could've been a bit clearer I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

True, but I was referring to private sector investment like in Cork. Could've been a bit clearer I suppose.

They are not interested in the city.

Easier, cheaper and quicker to build out on a serviced site in Plassey or Shannon..
    Once you reach critical mass in the city and it can be proven to work \ demand then the developers will follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

i get what you are saying but i dont think the difference is the availability of space. There are plenty of empty sites of all sizes in Limerick lying idle, albeit not as big as some of those in cork. There are multiple projects in pre planning, planning or construction in cork - too many to keep track of.

true that the nearly all new builds are outside the center but its less than 15 minutes walk to patrick street, so i would still consider this the center. the area beyond ted russel docks is about the same distance from brown thomas on oconnel street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭source

Passed by the front of the old Dunnes earlier. Lights on upstairs and workers walking around in hard hats and high vis vests. Looks like some small bit of movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

source wrote: »
    Passed by the front of the old Dunnes earlier. Lights on upstairs and workers walking around in hard hats and high vis vests. Looks like some small bit of movement.

There's a lot of movement, they've emptied several huge skips already.

Mc Love wrote: »
    There's a lot of movement, they've emptied several huge skips already.

Very good, my first time down that way during the day in a while. Great to see movement.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

On a similar note, have LIT moved into the site at Coonagh yet? I know some fantastic work was done behind Tesco there over the last few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

On a similar note, have LIT moved into the site at Coonagh yet? I know some fantastic work was done behind Tesco there over the last few months.

baracades were still up on Sunday evening but doesnt look far off ready from the exterior anyway, although i'd imagine a lot of work is needed inside to kit it out

• Advertisement

Hoarding up around the old food fair unit on O'Connell St.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Hoarding up around the old food fair unit on O'Connell St.

Being converted to offices I think.

Being converted to offices I think.

Better occupied with offices than empty as retail.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Unfortunately this amendment was defeated.

"An amendment - submitted by Cllr Sean Hartigan - to permanently pedestrianise O'Connell Street, between its William Street and Cecil Street junctions, has been defeated by 11 votes to five with two abstentions"

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Giggsy19

15km speed limit is crazy even down the quays in dublin its 30km, who is proposing and approving this nonsense?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭HailSatan

Giggsy19 wrote: »
    15km speed limit is crazy even down the quays in dublin its 30km, who is proposing and approving this nonsense?

Somebody who got shown up by a mobility scooter I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Giggsy19 wrote: »

What’s crazy is having through traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Hopefully they end up applying that 15kph limit from Bishop's Quay up to Honan's Quay as well. That would be something at least.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Hopefully they end up applying that 15kph limit from Bishop's Quay up to Honan's Quay as well. That would be something at least.

The thing is though, unless I'm mistaken, that the lowest legislated for speed limit is 30kph. It would take a Dail amendment to the Road Traffic Act to apply a 15kph limit. So while the councilors voted for it, I doubt we'll see it being enforced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭geotrig

martyc5674 wrote: »
    What’s crazy is having through traffic.

Damn those non forward thinking Georgians.

The thing is though, unless I'm mistaken, that the lowest legislated for speed limit is 30kph. It would take a Dail amendment to the Road Traffic Act to apply a 15kph limit. So while the councilors voted for it, I doubt we'll see it being enforced.

I suppose even if it was legal it would probably be enforced as badly as the rest of the traffic/parking/etc rules around the place anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

mdmix wrote: »

No.1 reason the locals rejected it because of environmental factors my arse. They just didn't want students near there homes. Nimbism alive and well.

CosmicFool wrote: »
    No.1 reason the locals rejected it because of environmental factors my arse. They just didn't want students near there homes. Nimbism alive and well.

There are already hundreds of students living in the area, I live in the area and I objected based on the size of the development and the fact that it would add a significant amount of traffic to an already stressed intersection.

Oh and it was a horrible horrible design. The portion facing into the intersection was to be almost 7 storeys! Completely out of place in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

There are already hundreds of students living in the area, I live in the area and I objected based on the size of the development and the fact that it would add a significant amount of traffic to an already stressed intersection.

Oh and it was a horrible horrible design. The portion facing into the intersection was to be almost 7 storeys! Completely out of place in the area.

Well yes because there is a college up the road. 7 stories isn't exactly a tall building. People complain about housing shortages and then people reject proposals based on the size. What are we supposed to do? Keep buliding out onto farm land destroying even more of the environment? And your traffic concerns aren't major either. Most students wouldn't have a car and would rely mostly on public transport and either friends or family.

Sounds like typical nimbyness, it is predominantly student accommodation in a walkable location from the college. If students can’t live in a walkable distance they will most likely have to drive which creates more traffic so your argument is not logical.

CosmicFool wrote: »
    Well yes because there is a college up the road. 7 stories isn't exactly a tall building. People complain about housing shortages and then people reject proposals based on the size. What are we supposed to do? Keep buliding out onto farm land destroying even more of the environment? And your traffic concerns aren't major either. Most students wouldn't have a car and would rely mostly on public transport and either friends or family.

On traffic, if you believe that students don't have cars then you should have a look some day at the sheer volume of cars parked around Courtbrack/Ashbourne Ave, and the increase in traffic when the students are around vs when they are not.

On building high, if you look back over my posts in this very thread, you'll see that I am completely in favour of doing so in the city centre, but not in a residential area.

I would also say that while I agree that 7 storeys is not very high in theory, when all the other buildings around it are at most 2 storeys then it is completely out of place and unsuitable.

As a someone who lives in the area, I want that site built on. It's an eyesore as it is, but building a bigger eyesore on it to satisfy student housing requirements isn't the answer. A better design, that doesn't take over the area, would have been successful.

mdmix wrote: »
    Sounds like typical nimbyness, it is predominantly student accommodation in a walkable location from the college. If students can’t live in a walkable distance they will most likely have to drive which creates more traffic so your argument is not logical.

The last thing I am is a Nimby any my post history will attest to that, I'm not against student accommodation there, I'm not against a decent building there, but that building that was proposed was at a scale that was to large and was not suitable for the area.

• Advertisement

The last thing I am is a Nimby any my post history will attest to that, I'm not against student accommodation there, I'm not against a decent building there, but that building that was proposed was at a scale that was to large and was not suitable for the area.

What size of a building would be suitable out of interest?

Advertisement