Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

source wrote: »
    Read the thread, I've already covered this, what I think would be acceptable in the space and why it's not nimbyism. I'm not going to repeat myself anymore.

It’s pretty much the definition of nimby. As was mentioned early its immediately surrounded by commercial/ other units. It’s also on a busy main road which connect the city to the crescent and the hospital.

Living in an area does not qualify you to decide what is or is not acceptable. I’m going through something similar with neighbors of mine in castletroy. A few of them approached me on my way back home and tried to get me “ready to object”. They were all whipped up in a frenzy and were confused that I was not outraged at the 7 story building in pre planning about 300 meters from our estate.

I haven’t had a conversation with you so won’t presume to tell you how to feel, but having spoken to my neighbors and heard their “concerns” - I told them to get on with their lives. The building in castletroy may be built, and if it is, in 5 years time no one will care anymore.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

sioda wrote: »
    It also ignores the new apartment guidelines that all new apartments need terrace or balcony space.

Does that apply to student accommodation? I'm pretty sure student accommodation is treated differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭geotrig

this above x 10009(mdmix post) , people want improvement but as long as its somewhere else and get in a frenzy over some small things ,there are times to have concerns but most cases it mainly petty.

This type of building is all over Dublin and looks well for the most part and is exactly the type of location it should be built ,it's on main bus route is walkable to all location in limerick pretty much.
    I suppose you might need to get on to the church* close by in( scoil carmel ) as well to get them to knock that bell tower as its too tall.

progress in this city and most of Ireland is hindered by too much self interest of not near my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭source

The planning system has the ability to object built into it, without it there would be no ability for the public to voice their concerns about developments in their areas.

Objectors to the O'Connell Street plans are lauded as being correct in what they've done because they don't like the plans and think they're wrong for the area. They're great and wonderful people for objecting, rightly, to the inappropriate plans for the city centre, but I'm called the diminutive term NIMBY for expressing the same concerns about a building in my local area?

Aren't double standards great?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

source wrote:
    Aren't double standards great?

Par for the course in the Limerick forum unfortunately opinions change like the weather

• Advertisement

The planning system has the ability to object built into it, without it there would be no ability for the public to voice their concerns about developments in their areas.

Objectors to the O'Connell Street plans are lauded as being correct in what they've done because they don't like the plans and think they're wrong for the ?
    I'm fairly sure it was very mixed reaction to that as well and everyone was not happy at it being rejected .
    No one is saying that people cant object, people can and should object if there is a legitimate concern over something ,most of the objection seems to stem from "not on my doorstep" mindset, we need to move away from that, just because you "feel" there should be a smaller building isn't a legitimate reason really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭source

geotrig wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure it was very mixed reaction to that as well and everyone was not happy at it being rejected .
    No one is saying that people cant object, people can and should object if there is a legitimate concern over something ,most of the objection seems to stem from "not on my doorstep" mindset, we need to move away from that, just because you "feel" there should be a smaller building isn't a legitimate reason really.

There is cause for objection though, 7 storeys in an area that has a maximum of 2 storeys currently is completely out of scale for the area. That is a fair and reasonable gound for objecting.

There is cause for objection though, 7 storeys in an area that has a maximum of 2 storeys currently is completely out of scale for the area. That is a fair and reasonable gound for objecting.

It may well be a fair a reasonable ground to object but the planners obviously didn't think so as it wasn't cited in their rejection.

Its a large open site on a major road with buildings on varying elevations in the close vicinity , I cant think of a more apt location for this type of building.

The regional has been built up and up over years and is in a similar type location surrounded by mainly 2 story building.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Application submitted by Shannon Foynes Port Company for the conversion of Bannatyne Mill to office accommodation.

Hope they do a good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

Application submitted by Shannon Foynes Port Company for the conversion of Bannatyne Mill to office accommodation.

Hope they do a good job.

Is that the big concrete block in the port? i wonder how or if they are looking to re-clad it. That building was built like a bomb shelter supposidly, i knew a person who was involved in the demo of the silo across the road from it and they had an awful time bringing it down!

• Advertisement

dave 27 wrote: »
    Is that the big concrete block in the port? i wonder how or if they are looking to re-clad it. That building was built like a bomb shelter supposidly, i knew a person who was involved in the demo of the silo across the road from it and they had an awful time bringing it down!

They're not going to reclad it, it's a protected structure. There are no docs up yet but this is the description on the planning file.

(1) conservation, restoration and new works to Bannatyne Mill, a Protected Structure; and (2) change of use of Bannatyne Mill from a grain store to commercial office use. The proposed works include: (a) provision of 3 no. projecting glass windows on the northern, southern and eastern elevations; (b) internal modifications including limited removal of fixtures and fittings; (c) provision of associated signage; (d) demolition and removal of the redundant electrical room at the west end of the building; (e) demolition of the existing ESB substation at the east end of the building and replacement with a new ESB substation removed from the building; (f) provision of external plant; (g) widening of the existing eastern access; (h) removal of section of boundary wall to Dock Road; (I) provision of on-site car and bicycle parking; and (j) all associated site development works. Bannatyne Mill is a Protected Structure RPS Ref. 255 and is listed on the NIAH (National Inventory of Architectural Heritage) Schedule Ref. No. 21516002

No, it's the other one. The nicer building further out the Dock Road.

21516002_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

No, it's the other one. The nicer building further out the Dock Road.

21516002_1.jpg

I dont think ive ever noticed that building, some amount of space inside there id say!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Thats an amazing looking building!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Not wanting something built near where you live because you don't like it is the definition of NIMBYism.

By that definition if you object to anything for any reason its NIMBYism...

to my mind NIMBYism is wanting something built but anywhere but where it affects you personally.

Shouting for traveler accommodation, but not on your road. NIMBYism
    Shouting for public housing, but not in your estate.NIMBYism,
    The health service needs restructuring, but don't touch my local hospital. NIMBYism
    enforce the law. But don't give me a speeding ticket. NIMBYism
    Generate waste but against incineration, waste to energy, built in your locality or in your country.. NIMBYism

Objecting against a constriction project for a valid reason that you can argue and support. Not NIMBYism

Personally I have no skin in the game. Don't live in the area, or pass the area in any frequency.

BUT the plan did always strike me as strange.

The drawings actually dont look bad, the site is an eyesore and something needs to be done with the site.

However

Its a huge student accommodation block that suits Mary I reasonably well but is the wrong side of the city for UL and far from ideal for LIT. Admittedly I have no personal knowledge of the area but I haven't heard of a chronic shortage of student accommodation for Mary I, certainly not of the level to fill the proposed development.

What little looking into the situation I did do suggested that there are currently about 160 student accommodation places available within or very near the Mary I campus. This adds 400 spaces, virtually overnight.. That's about 10% of the student body in the limerick Campus.

And they will stand empty for 25% of the year ??

I dont think ive ever noticed that building, some amount of space inside there id say!

I'd say that's because that photo was taken from inside the Docks. From the Dock Road it looks like this.

21516002_21.jpg

As you can see it's just down the road from the silo. More pics here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I think they do plan to knock that silo though?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Mc Love wrote: »

Who?

Afaik, Irish Cement/CRH/Roadstone own it rather than the Port Company.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

phog wrote: »
    Who?

Afaik, Irish Cement/CRH/Roadstone own it rather than the Port Company.

When/why did they purchase it? It was a flour silo.

Mc Love wrote: »

The sfpc plan stated it was to be kept for sporting/ recreational purpose. They did some mock ups for an indoor skydiving center and climbing wall but think they were just concepts rather than a set plan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭mart 23

Would that former flour silo be suitable for conversion to apartments or offices.?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭sioda

mart 23 wrote: »
    Would that former flour silo be suitable for conversion to apartments or offices.?
    Floors are too low and the cost ton retro those old silo is immense. Remember getting a day off school when they tried to blow them up never knew a building could jump

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

When/why did they purchase it? It was a flour silo.

They own it for years I assume they purchased it because that silo is directly connected by something like a conveyor belt to a pit in the docks that would aid the importation of loose materials if they so required. Or perhaps to stop a competitor from importing loose cement.

sioda wrote: »
    Floors are too low and the cost ton retro those old silo is immense. Remember getting a day off school when they tried to blow them up never knew a building could jump

Plenty of silo conversions, King’s cross is one example, but others in France/ Sweden would have converted similar silos to ranks. But there is prob no appetiite in limerick for something like that

mdmix wrote: »
    Plenty of silo conversions, King’s cross is one example, but others in France/ Sweden would have converted similar silos to ranks. But there is prob no appetiite in limerick for something like that

Where in King's Cross? All I can think of is the converted Gasometers.

Where in King's Cross? All I can think of is the converted Gasometers.

Yes, you are right, the project I was thinking of was a gasometer

ABP are holding an Oral Hearing for the Opera Project on Nov 26th in the Strand Hotel. https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/487134/date-confirmed-for-oral-hearing-on-limericks-project-opera.html

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

ABP are holding an Oral Hearing for the Opera Project on Nov 26th in the Strand Hotel. https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/487134/date-confirmed-for-oral-hearing-on-limericks-project-opera.html

Hopefully it will get the go ahead. It's taken far too long and much needed for the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

CosmicFool wrote: »
    Hopefully it will get the go ahead. It's taken far too long and much needed for the city centre.

Its a bit like Brexit, its not what everyone will want or like, but as its taking forever i just want to see cranes up to see some sign of Progress...

Obviously its lacking a lot in terms of residential space but if the office spaces do get filled, it will have a positive impact on bringing people into the City Centre and the increased footfall will have an in-direct positive affect on retail in the city.

• Advertisement

Limerick City and County Council has served the owners of the Horizon Mall with an order to demolish the partially built structure at the Parkway Valley site on the Dublin Road. Using its powers under the Derelict Sites Act 1990, the Council is ordering the owners, Novelty ICAV, to raze the building to the ground, with work to be completed within six months.

https://www.limerick.ie/council/newsroom/news/limerick-city-and-county-council-orders-demolition-horizon-mall

Advertisement