Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭timesnewroman

I assume that this plan that was mooted last year never got out of the starting blocks? Chinese investors wasn't it? :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I assume that this plan that was mooted last year never got out of the starting blocks? Chinese investors wasn't it? :pac:

Read the article in the link "The owners are in discussions with Limerick City and County Council about their plans for the site." A project like that doesn't happen overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Oh great! Another announcement of another intention to formulate a plan that may or may not amount to something at some indeterminable point in the future.

This is indeed a very underutilised and unproductive part of the wider city centre. It badly needs to be rejuvenated but we need to see quick and tangible progress now not just endless rehashed waffle.

Vanquished wrote: »
    Oh great! Another announcement of another intention to formulate a plan that may or may not amount to something at some indeterminable point in the future.

This is indeed a very underutilised and unproductive part of the wider city centre. It badly needs to be rejuvenated but we need to see quick and tangible progress now not just endless rehashed waffle.

In fairness, this seems more the LDA and the CIE rather than LCCC. At least I hope so seeing as the red circled area in the LCCC press release is mostly not CIE owned land.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

In fairness, this seems more the LDA and the CIE rather than LCCC. At least I hope so seeing as the red circled area in the LCCC press release is mostly not CIE owned land.

The bulk of that land is St Josephs Hospital campus which I assume is owned by the HSE ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Plenty of privately owned homes circled too...

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭timesnewroman

Read the article in the link "The owners are in discussions with Limerick City and County Council about their plans for the site." A project like that doesn't happen overnight.

Yeah, I did read it. If the plan the owners are discussing with the council is the one I linked to then I'd be surprised. Its over a year since that article was published online and I can't recall hearing or seeing any about that plan since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

If it's anything like the CIE plan currently under development in Cork it should be a good thing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

knipex wrote: »
    The bulk of that land is St Josephs Hospital campus which I assume is owned by the HSE ??

And Limerick Prison :D

"high quality living" is the term used by Limerick council :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I did read it. If the plan the owners are discussing with the council is the one I linked to then I'd be surprised. Its over a year since that article was published online and I can't recall hearing or seeing any about that plan since.

It was mentioned at the time that it would be 2020 before anything happened and a project of this size would usually take longer than planned.

I've seen it mentioned elsewhere that the developers have been in contact with the council for a while. You generally won't hear about preplanning discussions in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

Should go without saying but hopefully in the case of any redevelopment around the station due care is given to future proofing the site for potential expansion of intercity and surburban railway services, particularly the Foynes/Tralee/Cork Direct line, the remnants of which are still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Looks like we might get an M24 instead of an M20. People from North Cork will obviously be unhappy.

Is it a strategic move by the powers in Limerick to become Irelands 2nd city? Limerick is a long way from ever getting close to Cork however and I think a rail link to Shannon airport and upgrading Limerick - Ballybrophy line (that would provide a direct faster service to Dublin) has more importance to Limerick's future economy, than either an M24/M20.

But in terms of the M24 decision, i wonder if the Ryder cup has anything to do with this? Motorway from Waterford/Rosslare to Limerick along with the Foynes-Limerick motorway, would provide good routes for lots of people travelling to Adare/Limerick, that arrive by boat and those that live in the south east.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/councillors-m24-motorway-would-spell-economic-disaster-for-cork-and-make-limerick-irelands-second-city-958951.html

damowill wrote: »
    Looks like we might get an M24 instead of an M20. People from North Cork will obviously be unhappy.

Is it a strategic move by the powers in Limerick to become Irelands 2nd city? Limerick is a long way from ever getting close to Cork however and I think a rail link to Shannon airport and upgrading Limerick - Ballybrophy line (that would provide a direct faster service to Dublin) has more importance to Limerick's future economy, than either an M24/M20.

But in terms of the M24 decision, i wonder if the Ryder cup has anything to do with this? Motorway from Waterford/Rosslare to Limerick along with the Foynes-Limerick motorway, would provide good routes for lots of people travelling to Adare/Limerick, that arrive by boat and those that live in the south east.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/councillors-m24-motorway-would-spell-economic-disaster-for-cork-and-make-limerick-irelands-second-city-958951.html

We won't. The N20 is over capacity along it's Northern and Southern sections due to commuters heading to Limerick and Cork. An M24 won't resolve this. Charleville, Buttevant and Mallow will still need bypasses if an M24 is built. TIi will decide on the N20 route because it's the obvious one, just as it was ten years ago.

And there's not a hope that the either M20 or M24 would be ready for 2026, so the Ryder cup has no relevance. We'll be lucky if the M21 Adare bypass is done by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭source

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/488809/revealed-plans-for-new-riverside-development-in-limerick-city-centre.html

Bishop's Quay development being reduced to 7 storeys! Very disappointing news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

source wrote: »

Nice to see something moving here but disappointing that it is halved in height, last bit of prime riverside land in the city really

Well that's disappointing, but I suppose even 7 storeys is better than whats there now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

Absolutely pathetic waste of very valuable land, that whole area is a letdown from what it could've been. Both sides of that river should be nice high rise developments, mixed accomodation and offices but mostly accommodation (and comfortable, high quality accomodation, not cheaply slapped together apartments), with the ground floors being retail units full of cafes and restaurants with the area pedestrianised. A nice pedestrian footbridge joining the two sides with mini parks along it with a couple of cycle lanes as well would be fantastic. This would've created a nice dense population in the area and made it a place people visit and spend time (and money) in. But of course we're too small minded and closed off to innovation to see it lives up to its potential, it's more important to bow down to individual NIMBYs.

Lost hope for this city, Limerick could've been the nicest city in this country but because of **** like this it'll always remain small and lacking, failed potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

7 storeys in this part of town alongside Riverpoint is very disappointing.

Big onus on the Council to ensure Cleeves is high rise Residential. Although this will also be met with NIMBYs

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

From the article it sounds as though they felt as though there simply wasn't the market for the 14 stories initially planned. Hard to argue with that - At least something is happening, as it looked like the development had completely stalled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭source

From the article it sounds as though they felt as though there simply wasn't the market for the 14 stories initially planned. Hard to argue with that - At least something is happening, as it looked like the development had completely stalled.

My reading of the comments in the article was that they had interest but it was an immediate interest which they couldn't satisfy because of build times, and everyone they spoke to wanted the floorspace but couldn't wait for it to be built.

They don't want the risk of building the whole project without a tenant already signed up so they're reducing the size to limit their risk.

In other words, the market is there for the full build, but it's there NOW, and the builder doesn't want to risk that it will still be there when the building is finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

damowill wrote: »

Limerick will never be bigger than Belfast. Will never be bigger than Cork either.

source wrote: »
    My reading of the comments in the article was that they had interest but it was an immediate interest which they couldn't satisfy because of build times, and everyone they spoke to wanted the floorspace but couldn't wait for it to be built.

They don't want the risk of building the whole project without a tenant already signed up so they're reducing the size to limit their risk.

In other words, the market is there for the full build, but it's there NOW, and the builder doesn't want to risk that it will still be there when the building is finished.

I think it's just a big pile of spoof from the developer that typically went entirely unquestioned by the Leader. Kirkland have never built anything. They were boasting about a January 2017 start to the original project and then that they would be ready to go within 2 months of the ABP approval in June 2017. I'm really dubious also about the claim that a company was ready to move 300 staff in to their office complex with immediate effect. I can't think of a single employer in Limerick who could have moved that number in to a city centre office. Northern Trust, the most likely candidate are committed to City East Plaza on a 35 year lease. It might have been Credit Suisse but their expansion plans were dropped anyhow.

The revised plans look like a major cost-cutting exercise. They're even removing the cafe/restaurant unit fronting Bishop's Quay. Street elevations are extremely important and the Council should not permit dead frontage along the Quayside. Healy Partners have been retained as the Architects which is also disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

They could've built whatever office space they felt was possible to fill and then the rest of the upper floors be apartments, even higher than 14 storeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

source wrote:
    Bishop's Quay development being reduced to 7 storeys! Very disappointing news.

Very surprised by this story as it's not what I have heard from people involved in the project the opposite in fact

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

kilburn wrote: »
    Very surprised by this story as it's not what I have heard from people involved in the project the opposite in fact

Wouldn't be like Limerick Leader to get things wrong :rolleyes::D

kilburn wrote: »

Your source is unfortunately wrong. The new plan is on the council site for pre-validation. Reduction of the tower from 15 to 7 storeys and reduction in floor space from around 15k sq m to around 6k sq m and the removal of one of the cafe/restaurants from Bishops Quay. http://eplan.limerick.ie/AppFileRefDetails/191060/0

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

I can’t tell from the application, does anyone know what will face the river on the ground floor? Would it be pedestrian entrance, retail or car park entrance?

mdmix wrote: »
    I can’t tell from the application, does anyone know what will face the river on the ground floor? Would it be pedestrian entrance, retail or car park entrance?

We'll have to wait and review the planning documentation. Car parking spaces or any type of blank, dead frontage would be entirely unacceptable. There was to be 2 cafe/restaurant units fronting Bishop's Quay in the initial application. They've pulled one but I assume the other remains. I'm unsure if the original plans for the Bishop's Palace Coach House remain unchanged. The text of the application isn't overly informative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

spotted this on twitter this morning. i dont think limerick is the worst in ireland for urban sprawl but we are certainly heading that way with projects like the NDR (which is being built to free up land for low density housing) and mungret development. i do think however that limerick is the most derelict city in Ireland, there is so much red in that graphic (including vacant sites), and thats before you consider that most of the city center is occupied at ground level only, and the upper floors are empty.

https://twitter.com/moranjohna1/status/1189836615771926528?s=20

Advertisement