Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

330 new jobs announced as part of ambitious new University of Limerick plan
    UL president, Dr Des Fitzgerald has announced that the university expects to create over 330 additional jobs and recruit a further 4,000 students in the coming five years.

Dr Fitzgerald was speaking at the launch of UL@50, an ambitious Strategic Plan to guide the development of the institution over the coming five years. The Chancellor of the university, Ms Mary Harney and President Dr Fitzgerald, launched the plan today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

phog wrote: »

any design yet for what the replacement of that Dunnes will look like?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

dave 27 wrote: »
    any design yet for what the replacement of that Dunnes will look like?

The answer you're looking for is in the linked article if you actually read it
    (there's no design yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I was driving up through O'Connell St. today towards The Crescent and noticed that one of the Georgian buildings appears to have some really impressive restoration work completed. I didn't get a good look but I think it's the building next to The Belltable, it was previously surrounded in scaffolding+cladding. Looks like the brickwork has been re-done (pointed/faced) and new windows installed. I'm not sure how recent a development this is, but the work looks really good, and hopefully a sign of things to come on the Georgian front.

I was driving up through O'Connell St. today towards The Crescent and noticed that one of the Georgian buildings appears to have some really impressive restoration work completed. I didn't get a good look but I think it's the building next to The Belltable, it was previously surrounded in scaffolding+cladding. Looks like the brickwork has been re-done (pointed/faced) and new windows installed. I'm not sure how recent a development this is, but the work looks really good, and hopefully a sign of things to come on the Georgian front.

There are 4 buildings between O'Connell St, The Crescent and Mallow St that are currently or have recently been refurbished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

I saw the building last week. Really impressive job done. Makes the surrounding building look like ****e now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

There are 4 buildings between O'Connell St, The Crescent and Mallow St that are currently or have recently been refurbished.
    Good to know. I must admit that I haven't been up around that part of town much lately (apart from today), I must give a walk around some day next week - when biblical rain isn't forecast! :pac: As a matter of interest, do you know if these are privately funded restorations? Or some sort of public scheme for Georgian works?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Tefral

Good to know. I must admit that I haven't been up around that part of town much lately (apart from today), I must give a walk around some day next week - when biblical rain isn't forecast! As a matter of interest, do you know if these are privately funded restorations? Or some sort of public scheme for Georgian works?

The one alongside the belltable is private.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭73bc61lyohr0mu

About time..

• Advertisement

mdmix wrote: »

The developers are in conversation with the council about the redevelopment of the site. I'm surprised at the speed, but this was obviously part of those negotiations. It was never going to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

i noticed a lot of works going along Plassey road from Hamilton House to Vistakon. Seems like they are upgrading footpaths and adding cycle lanes. Also looks like they are working on a slip road from the roundabout at Vistakon

The Edwards Lifesciences building is flying up across the road from Vistakon. Can see it being completed some time next year...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

damowill wrote: »
    i noticed a lot of works going along Plassey road from Hamilton House to Vistakon. Seems like they are upgrading footpaths and adding cycle lanes. Also looks like they are working on a slip road from the roundabout at Vistakon

The Edwards Lifesciences building is flying up across the road from Vistakon. Can see it being completed some time next year...

I did notice that about the footpaths and cycle lanes. Great to see!

I thought that building was for eNet?

Mc Love wrote: »
    I did notice that about the footpaths and cycle lanes. Great to see!

I thought that building was for eNet?

Are you sure? I believed that new building across from Vistakon to be Edwards, they started work in April. This site is massive!!

Are you sure? I believed that new building across from Vistakon to be Edwards, they started work in April. This site is massive!!

That's not Edwards. I think J&J are using some of the floor space but not all of it. I'm not sure who actually owns it though. That building across from J&J has been going up since last year.

CosmicFool wrote: »
    That's not Edwards. I think J&J are using some of the floor space but not all of it. I'm not sure who actually owns it though. That building across from J&J has been going up since last year.

The one you are talking about is the IDA owned building closer to the roundabout. J&J EMEA Software Centre are using it. The new building is further down is only being constructed... nearly certain its Edwards.

The one you are talking about is the IDA owned building closer to the roundabout. J&J EMEA Software Centre are using it. The new building is further down is only being constructed... nearly certain its Edwards.

Ah ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MilfordBud

J&J is the one near the roundabout alright. Edwards further back. Edwards completion set for end of 2020.

The new sliproad by J&J started in July and was given a timespan of 45 weeks to completion. The latest update was that it would be done by end of February however this seems very far ahead of schedule so would take it with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭mart 23

Bus Eireann are looking for planning extension for their proposed new bus station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

Limerick74 wrote: »

Isn't that the fairytale project that has been talked about since I was in primary school? I'm doing a PhD now

I'm in favour of some sort of body that looks after the interests of out built heritage, but An Taisce needs to be dumped and reformed.

From the Oral Hearing.

The councils wildlife expert on their claims about the bats - An Taisce made a range of unfounded and easily refuted statements in relation to methods, equipment, surveyors and the importance of bats on site.

On the possibility of a new market in the new public square.
    An Taisce - You can't have a new market less than a mile from the Potato Market (when the last time it was used as anything other than a car park BTW?)
    Limerick Civic Trust - Nothing preventing there being a market in Project Opera

On the Hunt Museum
    An Taisce (and the Irish Georgian Society) - The development will negatively affect the Hunt Museum.
    The Hunt Museum - We are fully in favour of the development.

Even when I read their objection I found a load of factual errors, which are obviously being picked apart by the experts at the hearing. There were obviously other objections, but the biggest (and more than likely the cause of the delay and the oral hearing) was from An Taisce. It seems that they just object for the sake of it as every time they appealed to ABP in Limerick over the last number of years they've lost. And if those previous submissions were as badly written as this one, I can understand why.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

LoganRice wrote: »
    Isn't that the fairytale project that has been talked about since I was in primary school? I'm doing a PhD now

We need apartments not more retail right now

bigpink wrote: »
    We need apartments not more retail right now

We need both.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

We need both.

Apartments more important retail is very quiet in the city

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

the point of the site is office mainly, not retail. But on the point of retail, if you built one new unit, any size in any spot of the city, it would be months at best before it was let out. if you built 50 apartments, they would be let out in a week, with around 80-100 extra people living and shopping in the city.

its a no brainer, unfortunately the people running the city have no brains :(

bigpink wrote: »
    Apartments more important retail is very quiet in the city

Apartments bring footfall, which enables retail. We need both.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

We need batman.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Planning appeal over €180m Limerick Opera Centre

On a separate note, any news on the old gasworks site at the bottom of O'Curry Street? From their website:
    What Happens Next?
    Soil stabilisation works will continue throughout 2019 and are expected to be completed in Q1 2020.

Once the Limerick Gasworks site has been remediated, it will be suitable for development in accordance with the Limerick City Development Plan.

While there are currently no plans for its future use, this project will complete the cleanup of the site and facilitate its reintegration to Limerick City.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

peckerhead wrote: »
    Planning appeal over €180m Limerick Opera Centre

On a separate note, any news on the old gasworks site at the bottom of O'Curry Street? From their website:

I had heard it was sold, and not to Dolan's. Speaking of... Has Nuxer Ryan's closed again after its reincarnation as The Pub? Haven't seen it open in months

Advertisement