Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I had heard it was sold, and not to Dolan's. Speaking of... Has Nuxer Ryan's closed again after its reincarnation as The Pub? Haven't seen it open in months

Who would buy a site where the remediation works aren't finished on? Any why would anyone think that Dolans would be buy a huge empty site like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Who would buy a site where the remediation works aren't finished on? Any why would anyone think that Dolans would be buy a huge empty site like that?

Subject to such ongoing works being completed obviously. So they wouldn't have to pay the Castle or the Milk Market (or indeed the docks after this year) anymore.

ABP have confirmed the councils CPOs for 34-41 Catherine St and 43-46 Cecil St. Hopefully the council won't now sit on them for years..........

• Registered Users Posts: 14,696 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I see demolition is going on at the old ghost shopping centre beside Parkway. Any ideas what's going there if anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

ABP have confirmed the councils CPOs for 34-41 Catherine St and 43-46 Cecil St. Hopefully the council won't now sit on them for years..........

Of course they will.

• Advertisement

callaway92 wrote: »
    I see demolition is going on at the old ghost shopping centre beside Parkway. Any ideas what's going there if anything?

That was in the papers a few weeks back. The council served a demolition order on the owners of the site. They have 6 months (5 now) to completely demolish it. The owners are in negotiations with the council as to what will replace it apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 limez

Nothing concrete (!) At this stage. The owners were given six months to clean it up as a derelict site, I think.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/video/home/491763/demolition-of-horizon-mall-begins-following-limerick-council-orders.html

• Registered Users Posts: 16 limez

In other news, the National Transport Authority looking at a Limerick-Shannon rail link. To see that really work, I think it needs good onward connection to Ennis and Galway, and perhaps sneak a rail corridor alongside the M20 to Mallow...

http://www.clare.fm/news/shannon-airport/hopes-rail-link-shannon-airport-limerick-boost-passenger-numbers/

limez wrote: »
    In other news, the National Transport Authority looking at a Limerick-Shannon rail link. To see that really work, I think it needs good onward connection to Ennis and Galway, and perhaps sneak a rail corridor alongside the M20 to Mallow...

http://www.clare.fm/news/shannon-airport/hopes-rail-link-shannon-airport-limerick-boost-passenger-numbers/

They may look at it, but it will never be built. It will never pass a CBA. They LSMATS which should be published soon will more than likely focus on better bus services, which will be more than enough to serve Shannon, an airport that basically closes down after lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

There already is a rail corridor along most of the N20. Are you suggesting a new line from Charleville to Patrickswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Monorail?

Now that demolition has started on the Horizon Mall, the plans for its replacement are in the Leader
    THE €60m plan for the Horizon Mall site on the Dublin Road is to be submitted to Limerick City and County Council this week.

The development aims to deliver 245 residential units, a 152-bedroom hotel, and over 100,000 square feet of office accommodation. It will also include two separate drive-thru restaurants, a service station, a community building with creche, community facilities and a multi-use games area as well as a 2.8-acre public park amenity.
    The mix of one-bed (76), two-bed (127) and three-bed (42) units should provide for the accommodation needs of up to 245 families or likely well over 600 residents.

The units will comprise a mix of duplex units and apartments, in blocks ranging from three to fourteen stories. Subject to planning, construction is expected to begin in early 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Jose Maria

Now that demolition has started on the Horizon Mall, the plans for its replacement are in the Leader

This site will still be derelict in 5 years, next thing they'll do is put up a fence around the demolished site which will start falling apart after 6 months, then the horses will be moved in.

Jose Maria wrote: »
    This site will still be derelict in 5 years, next thing they'll do is put up a fence around the demolished site which will start falling apart after 6 months, then the horses will be moved in.

Well the overseas investors who the council told to demolish the site started the demolition within a week. That alone will cost them at a least 7 figures.

They said last year that they'd have a planning application in by early 2020, so they're early and that the hoped to be on site by 2021 which is still on track.

They have absolutely nothing to do with any of the previous owners and I choose not to be a typical Irish pessimistic begrudger.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Is there enough demand for another hotel in that area? The Travel Lodge close by struggled to fill their entire building and ended up subleasing the top number of floors out to UL? It also mentions a service station, we already have 3 others on that 1km stretch of road. The residential and office units are definitely a welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭mart 23

Planning for the Horizon site is now on the LCCC site Its for a 10 year Plan

Not sure where else to post it, but there's an absolutely lethal pothole on Bloodmill Rd (going from Childers Road to Tipp roundabout on passengers' side).

Driving last night without any decent lighting on the road of course and I got an almighty smack into it.

Just said I'd note to be aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭source

Not sure where else to post it, but there's an absolutely lethal pothole on Bloodmill Rd (going from Childers Road to Tipp roundabout on passengers' side).

Driving last night without any decent lighting on the road of course and I got an almighty smack into it.

Looks to be filled in this morning, hit it the other day and thought the wheel was ****ed the bang was so big.

source wrote: »
    Looks to be filled in this morning, hit it the other day and thought the wheel was ****ed the bang was so big.

Ah cool ok, that's good to hear so! (about the filling of it)

Can see the absolute crap thing at the Henry St. traffic lights outside Spar was filled this morning too (if you turn left onto Henry St you'd recognise it I'd say)

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Limerick74

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Limerick74 wrote: »

It will be great to see such a nice building being repurposed .

https://film.limerick.ie/location/bannatyne-mill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

fixmystreet.ie would probably be a better place to put it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭sioda

Right time for a parnell Street rant wtf is with the lights at the top of Mallow Street along with the stupid bump into the road.

The cross roads at Wickham Street do they really need pedestrian lights on Wickham Street also why not lights at sexton Street lights at Upper Gerald Griffin Street and lights at parnell street why need to have a island in the middle at all.

I'm a cyclist but seriously the bike lanes are a joke and will just add to the congestion on Wickham Street all they have done is pushed traffic into the lanes further and the luigis pick up are now just plain dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Canal Bank

Revington Developments Limited, intend to apply to An Bord Pleanala for permission for a strategic housing development consisting of a mixed-use development of build-to-rent apartments, student apartments incorporating common areas, café and 3no retail units, creche and management facilities building, and dwelling houses at Canal Bank, Pa Healy Road, Limerick.

The total number of units is as follows;
    • Build to rent apartments – 363 (66x studio, 64 x one bedroom, 233 x two bedroom);
    • Student apartments – 61 (9 x two-bedroom, 37 x three bedroom and 15 x four bedroom, totalling 189 student bed spaces);
    • 18 Dwelling houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Building on another flood plain great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Flooding could be an issue to be taken into account for underground parking but the site is too small and insignificant as a flood plain for the river Shannon.

Delighted to see residential development given priority here, especially within walking distance of the city centre.

Flooding could be an issue to be taken into account for underground parking but the site is too small and insignificant as a flood plain for the river Shannon.

Delighted to see residential development given priority here, especially within walking distance of the city centre.

Who said anything about the river Shannon, What about when the canal overflows and floods Corbally?

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

kilburn wrote: »
    Who said anything about the river Shannon, What about when the canal overflows and floods Corbally?

The canal overflowed that time a few years ago because Waterways Ireland didn’t open the lock gate at Lock Quay when they should have.

• Advertisement

The canal overflowed that time a few years ago because Waterways Ireland didn’t open the lock gate at Lock Quay when they should have.

Not fully correct but fact remains it still floods.

Advertisement