Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

The reduced height office block on Bishops Quay has been given planning permission by the council. 7 stories instead of the 15 originally permitted. It's a pity they couldn't make the higher tower viable.

It's disheartening alright but contrary to the local FG spin about the success of Limerick 2030, the Gardens Intl. project has failed to achieve its full potential imo.

Recent articles state that 90 people work in the building with the potential to increase to 130.

My office has 150 of us and has about a quarter of the space.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭mart 23

Has the company Flynn Construction started work on the Rugby Museum yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Really good petition here:
    Make public E-scooters, bikes and E-bikes available in UL and Limerick City
    http://chng.it/xN5Y9wzNxW

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Good initiative. I do know that scooters have been a bane for some cities, they seem to be more suspect to damage/misuse than bikes.

I'm still holding out for a futuristic world where there's a high speed tram between UL and the city :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭apc

The river path to UL is really unsuitable for mixed pedestrian and bike/scooter use as its too narrow from the Canal onwards

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Good initiative. I do know that scooters have been a bane for some cities, they seem to be more suspect to damage/misuse than bikes.

I'm still holding out for a futuristic world where there's a high speed tram between UL and the city :pac:

Even in the future there'll be no such thing as a 5km long high speed line.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

apc wrote: »
    The river path to UL is really unsuitable for mixed pedestrian and bike/scooter use as its too narrow from the Canal onwards

Have there been many accidents along it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

keane2097 wrote:
    Have there been many accidents along it?

Not sure on accidents but plenty of muggings and unprovoked random assaults

kilburn wrote: »

That's hardly because it's too narrow for scooters?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

kilburn wrote: »
    Have you a link (or some evidence for this)? Genuinely curious, as I run along that route 2/3 times a week and I've never noticed any untoward

• Advertisement

Only problem from what I've heard from fellow commuters is the yummy mummies taking up the whole width of the path when you approach on your bike and they dont move over or give you dirty looks if you make them move.

Have you a link (or some evidence for this)? Genuinely curious, as I run along that route 2/3 times a week and I've never noticed any untoward

There is a thread on it Canal Bank Walk and numerous Limerick Leader stories

keane2097 wrote: »
    That's hardly because it's too narrow for scooters?

Never suggested it was just pointing it out that its dangerous at night

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭source

Apparently Shannon Bridge is to get cycle lanes. Trying to figure out how it'll fit.

https://www.live95fm.ie/news/live95-news/one-of-the-main-routes-into-limerick-city-is-to-get-a-cycle-lane/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Good. It might keep the cyclists in the lane. Was going over this bridge last sunday morning and there was a group of cyclists in front riding 3 and 4 abreast holding the flow of traffic up. They're great people to moan about drivers, but should also behave appropriately themselves.

Let's hope they stay in their own lane when they get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭geotrig

maybe a continuation of something like the boardwalks and tacked on to the side of the bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

source wrote: »
    Apparently Shannon Bridge is to get cycle lanes. Trying to figure out how it'll fit.

https://www.live95fm.ie/news/live95-news/one-of-the-main-routes-into-limerick-city-is-to-get-a-cycle-lane/

By replacing one of the 2 inbound driving lanes I presume.
    Good move for pedestrians and cyclists.

Great for the city! And great for the cycle bus!

tototoe wrote: »
    Good. It might keep the cyclists in the lane. Was going over this bridge last sunday morning and there was a group of cyclists in front riding 3 and 4 abreast holding the flow of traffic up. They're great people to moan about drivers, but should also behave appropriately themselves.

Let's hope they stay in their own lane when they get it.

How long do you reckon they delayed you by?

is not about a delay really though . Roads are for all and all users should take due care and consideration of other users , now if its 2-3 abreast due to kids being on the inside I have no issue with whatsoever but adults having a leisurely cycle 3-4 abreast and not considering other road users is bad form, same considerations should be extended from drivers to all other road user ..... it isnt an us vs them !

except sulkies they can **** off !:P

• Advertisement

geotrig wrote: »
    is not about a delay really though . Roads are for all and all users should take due care and consideration of other users , now if its 2-3 abreast due to kids being on the inside I have no issue with whatsoever but adults having a leisurely cycle 3-4 abreast and not considering other road users is bad form, same considerations should be extended from drivers to all other road user ..... it isnt an us vs them !

except sulkies they can **** off !:P

Have you tried cycling across that bridge? It's absolutely standard for cars to zoom past attempting to squeeze between the cyclist and the white line into oncoming traffic.

It's a very intimidating place to be a bag of flesh on two wheels. I wouldn't go near it personally. However any cyclists who wish to protect themselves by riding several abreast to dissuade cars from trying to squeeze by despite oncoming traffic have an absolute thumbs up from me if I happen to sitting in my car behind them.

I wouldn't trust drivers in Limerick to take due care of me if I was on a bike, you may be lucky enough to see a higher quality of driving around the place than I do.

Have you tried cycling across that bridge? It's absolutely standard for cars to zoom past attempting to squeeze between the cyclist and the white line into oncoming traffic.

It's a very intimidating place to be a bag of flesh on two wheels. I wouldn't go near it personally. However any cyclists who wish to protect themselves by riding several abreast to dissuade cars from trying to squeeze by despite oncoming traffic have an absolute thumbs up from me if I happen to sitting in my car behind them.

I wouldn't trust drivers in Limerick to take due care of me if I was on a bike, you may be lucky enough to see a higher quality of driving around the place than I do.
    I have yes and like all trip on a bike I worry about the space I'm in,i.e position not to close to kerb abd not too far out after that anyone else can worry about their position etc , my biggest gripe with cycling across there and any bridges here are the kerbs ,they all seem to high to me that there is a greater danger of clipping a peddle and being thrown outwards.

geotrig wrote: »
    I have yes and like all trip on a bike I worry about the space I'm in,i.e position not to close to kerb abd not too far out after that anyone else can worry about their position etc , my biggest gripe with cycling across there and any bridges here are the kerbs ,they all seem to high to me that there is a greater danger of clipping a peddle and being thrown outwards.

The drains appear to be quite severe going along there too.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

The Shannon Bridge is very dangerous for cyclists, particularly outbound I think. Seeing as the two inbound lanes only start at the end of the Condell Road, it shouldn't cause much of an issue removing one lane. Might even stop those delightful people who use the left hand lane to go right at the end, as they only want to over and get a pizza in Dominoes...

Not the point.

Not the point.

Correct. The point is everyone getting across the bridge safely.

Correct. The point is everyone getting across the bridge safely.

It's about all road users behaving as they should, and that includes cyclists.

It's about all road users behaving as they should, and that includes cyclists.

Listen, if and when we motorists can all agree to cross the bridge without squeezing between people on bikes and the white line then this will fade away.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭TPMP

By replacing one of the 2 inbound driving lanes I presume.
    Good move for pedestrians and cyclists.

But dreadful for morning traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

TPMP wrote: »
    But dreadful for morning traffic.

Not if you’re a cyclist! :pac:

Advertisement