Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

wigsa100 wrote: »
    I would welcome any initiative to revamp the city centre, particularly the Georgian quarter. however I would insist that the Council ensure that any revamp of the Georgian quarter would be in keeping with the historical significance of the area, as it's one hell of a beautiful area when you step back and admire it for what it is. It would be a shame to see it bastardised in an effort to be contemporary.
    It would be class if it was re-cobbled if it used to be that way. If a bridge can bring tourists in, surely cobbled streets would work too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭DeWinterZero

panda100 wrote: »
    Wouldn't be so sure that it's closed. I, and others on here, often think it's closed down only to find it opened the next day.

Its closed. For Let signs on all the windows. Pity, it was nice sitting there looking out over the river. :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Vanquished

panda100 wrote: »
    Wouldn't be so sure that it's closed. I, and others on here, often think it's closed down only to find it opened the next day.

Its closed. For Let signs on all the windows. Pity, it was nice sitting there looking out over the river. :(

It was trading reasonably well but as a one person operation it would've been difficult to sustain such a commitment long term. Lets hope somebody else takes it on soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Complete lack of awareness of that project from the La Cucina owner who's opening just down the street!

It should ensure a healthy stream of customers for them though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

Vanquished wrote: »
    Complete lack of awareness of that project from the La Cucina owner who's opening just down the street!

Have to say i was quite surprised to read that on her Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭wigsa100

What is it? That tweet doesn't mean anything to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭wigsa100

It was trading reasonably well but as a one person operation it would've been difficult to sustain such a commitment long term. Lets hope somebody else takes it on soon.

I was curious as to how it was trading given that it was a lovely location. Do you mind me asking how you know it was trading well? Just out of interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Vanquished wrote:
    Complete lack of awareness of that project from the La Cucina owner who's opening just down the street! It should ensure a healthy stream of customers for them though.

That's actually amazing. I'd have thought it was one of their principle reasons for setting up there. Looks like they were quite oblivious to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭dave 27

So if the scaffolding is starting to go up does this mean there's a contractor there? I wonder if the crane will be on site soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

dave 27 wrote: »
    So if the scaffolding is starting to go up does this mean there's a contractor there? I wonder if the crane will be on site soon

A main contractor for the works hasnt even been appointed yet. Its still out to tender. Whats happening here is enabling works a small fraction of the work to be completed.

I suppose once there's people on site that's a start anyway. I heard October being thrown around for start date on actual works?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Do the council own any of the buildings along Nicholas St?
    Would be good to see some kind of artists studios or craft shops etc being made available there for low rent. There's massive potential to develop a proper walking route there during the summer. The whole place is a bit of a dump at the moment and doesn't give a great impression to tourists heading to our biggest tourist attraction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

Treepole wrote: »
    Do the council own any of the buildings along Nicholas St?
    Would be good to see some kind of artists studios or craft shops etc being made available there for low rent. There's massive potential to develop a proper walking route there during the summer. The whole place is a bit of a dump at the moment and doesn't give a great impression to tourists heading to our biggest tourist attraction.

I honestly think that where possible if the council have empty buildings they should be given free or cheaply to artists or small start-up business until the council plans to develop them or bring them into use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

I honestly think that where possible if the council have empty buildings they should be given free or cheaply to artists or small start-up business until the council plans to develop them or bring them into use.

This scheme existed 3-4 years ago in various units around town.
    It was brilliant to see craftspeople working in their shops after 6pm when the town is otherwise dead.

All tenants were subsequently ejected. Once the units were cleaned up and proved viable the landlords sought to find viable tenants.

I can't see a similar project working without minimum contracts for tenants.

For example, the council could rent the long-term empty units for a period of 12-24 months at minimal rent (no rates). These units would then be offered and no cost to tenants which enhance the city centre.

In the grand scheme of things the costs would be minimal.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tommy249

Spotted this on the RTE archives page. Shocking to think 35 years later we are pretty much back at the same situation on Patrick's street .......

http://www.rte.ie/archives/2016/0706/800656-inner-city-limerick/

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrJones2013

tommy249 wrote: »
    Spotted this on the RTE archives page. Shocking to think 35 years later we are pretty much back at the same situation on Patrick's street .......

http://www.rte.ie/archives/2016/0706/800656-inner-city-limerick/

I have the link copied and was just about to post it myself. It's disastrous that the situation hasn't changed in 35 years. The city is in desperate need of rejuvuenation, there's great intent been shown at the moment with Limerick 2030 but the intent needs to be followed through. Hopefully the 2020 bud will be a success after all the effort but the worry I have if it fails is that the city centre will be forgotten about all over again and in another 35 years Patrick's street will be no better but even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Strettie11

Noticed in the Limerick 2020 bid document under infrastructure that will built in the city, a new city library and culture centre at the Dunnes shopping centre on Sarsfield street

Library.PNG

library2.PNG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Will that be canned now with 2020 not happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrJones2013

Strettie11 wrote: »
    Noticed in the Limerick 2020 bid document under infrastructure that will built in the city, a new city library and culture centre at the Dunnes shopping centre on Sarsfield street

Library.PNG

library2.PNG

Having lost the city of culture are we going to lose this also?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Thought Dunne's refused to sell that building? Could be wrong.. I wouldn't hold my breath in this being built any time soon though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,924 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Was that the actual colour the building was gonna be?

I thought they wanted to buy Dunnes and knock it and develop that whole area into a plaza, probably best they didn't get the library as there are plenty other better spots for one.

Anyone have any updates on whether dunnes have agreed to sell?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The only way Dunnes will sell that site is through CPO and a long court case.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Townie_P

I seriously doubt Dunnes have agreed to sell that so it'd be interesting to see how they were going to go about acquiring it. It's well known Dunnes Henry Street is not performing, so if anything Dunnes would be more likely to want to continue sitting on that site and maintain the opton of re-developing that site themselves (if there was a revamped and modernised river front plaza happening as per the 2030 plans) and maybe then sell Henry Street instead. While the city would gain a lot, Dunnes gain little from selling it really, aside from goodwill towards the city. The time to acquire that building was probably 6/7 years ago when the city was on the floor. They're reluctant to sell or lease the big unit on O'Connell Street as well AFAIK, which is a shame too.

I like the idea of the multi-purpose library but not convinced such a prime location is the right place for it. I'd love to see Limerick build a top class international conference centre that could also hold indoor concerts, events and a decent cinema complex. A smaller version of the Liverpool Echo or Manchester MEN arenas. The Liverpool Echo Arena is built on the waterfront and it's stunning, especially when lit up at night. A properly designed one would look great on the Dunnes site or Cleeves factory site, not to mention the events & business calander it would deliver for Limerick. Probably a pipe dream though!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,924 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Townie_P wrote: »
    I seriously doubt Dunnes have agreed to sell that so it'd be interesting to see how they were going to go about acquiring it. It's well known Dunnes Henry Street is not performing, so if anything Dunnes would be more likely to want to continue sitting on that site and maintain the opton of re-developing that site themselves (if there was a revamped and modernised river front plaza happening as per the 2030 plans) and maybe then sell Henry Street instead. While the city would gain a lot, Dunnes gain little from selling it really, aside from goodwill towards the city. The time to acquire that building was probably 6/7 years ago when the city was on the floor. They're reluctant to sell or lease the big unit on O'Connell Street as well AFAIK, which is a shame too.
    !

Did Dunnes just sell the building on O'Connell St or is the old TSB bank a different building.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Did Dunnes just sell the building on O'Connell St or is the old TSB bank a different building.

Dunnes is next door and still boarded up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭goochy

I would say dunnes lost the run of themselves trying to be posh. The fancy dunnes in Patrick st. Cork never seems busy and remember visiting dunnes liffey valley on a Sunday and being amazed at how bare shop was and empty of customers .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

Strettie11 wrote: »

Library.PNG

library2.PNG

Great to see they're still planning to allow access to the city by car.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Their Childers Unit is usually busy and I shop there often. I think it's time they gave up with the squatting in the city centre, especially if the premises are being used for units to develop the city and not Lidls or Aldis.

Advertisement