Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭rebs23

dave 27 wrote: »
    Massive news, hopefully the start of a much bigger thing for that part of the city.

Anyone know who is the contractor/s and how soon work can begin?

Detailed design will need to be completed before it goes out to tender, tenants and contracts signed before commencement (with OPW for Revenue) funding approval drawn down, final business case asessment, etc so at least another year before any construction commences and then it is a 7 year project carried out over various phases.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I saw this news posted on the LL facebook page, needless to say the comments below would exasperate you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Berty wrote: »
    I saw this news posted on the LL facebook page, needless to say the comments below would exasperate you.

Let me guess
    What about the homeless?

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Mc Love wrote: »
    Let me guess
    Even better is many poster's belief that the 180,000,000 euro is being spent on building an Opera House!

No Mc Love

Confused for an Opera House :D

The person who commented is an "Inspirational Speaker" At Limerick City.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

some quotes from FB regards Project Opera:

"What good is an opera house when there not enough nurses or doctors to run the hospitals they shouldn't get their priorities right"

"how about we look after all the people sleeping on the streets first?? Fix up the abandoned and derelict houses scattered all around the city, and giving the homeless some of them. And there's going to be lots of jobs created with this, so train in the Homeless and give them a trade!!"

"Out of all these jobs being created there is such huge potential for the Homeless here to learn a trade and get a foot up the ladder"

"Spend the money on making houses for homeless and single parents"

"A public plaza too! Great the boys can move down out of johns square to sup cans in luxury"

"16 apartments wow,obviously FG and landlords had a big say in this."

"Its house s we need this country is ****ed up"

"Spend the money on sorting out the homeless"

"180 million for an opera house and ye cant even help people with mental illness and those who have addiction and who live on the streets "

Ah Facebook

The assumption is any money spent in Limerick comes from a single source, Hospital spend, Motorways, Private new build Estates, Council Spending..................all seems to come from the same money pot as far as some are concerned.

If you announce a private company is going to build 100s houses there will be question why those 100 houses aren't given to homeless people. When they announced the Parkway valley was finally being knocked after the council fought long and hard to block it(along with others) there were comments saying "why can't the council buy it and put the homeless in there". The mind boggles.

Best phrase I ever heard somebody say to me is "Lot's of people know the cost of everything but the value of nothing" or something along those lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

People are just frustrated at the lack of progress on pretty much anything in Limerick. As there is no city development plan for limerick, no1 knows what’s going on. There are endless announcements of plans for offices, new wards for UHL, and O’Connell street upgrade but no action. The gardens finished last year but as it hasnt resulted in any new jobs (so far), it was anticlimactic and most people have forgotten about it already. It was touted as some sort of catylist for growth, but didn’t make a difference and hasn’t made a difference in anyone’s life.

I think people’s reaction on social media is telling and is broadly similar to people I meet face to face. While I get that today wasn’t an announcement, I think outside limerick council, most people are worn out from various announcements and just accept that the city is stagnant. Peoples reaction to the branding exercise was the same

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

mdmix wrote: »
    People are just frustrated at the lack of progress on pretty much anything in Limerick. As there is no city development plan for limerick, no1 knows what’s going on. There are endless announcements of plans for offices, new wards for UHL, and O’Connell street upgrade but no action. The gardens finished last year but as it hasnt resulted in any new jobs (so far), it was anticlimactic and most people have forgotten about it already. It was touted as some sort of catylist for growth, but didn’t make a difference and hasn’t made a difference in anyone’s life.

I think people’s reaction on social media is telling and is broadly similar to people I meet face to face. While I get that today wasn’t an announcement, I think outside limerick council, most people are worn out from various announcements and just accept that the city is stagnant. Peoples reaction to the branding exercise was the same

The new offices are either already there in the Gardens (whether they created more jobs or not they exist) or on the way in the Opera Center which, as we know, has just gotten planning permission. Wards in UHL having absolutely nothing to do with LCCC. And the O'Connell St upgrade has gone out to tender for construction.

All the information is readily available for anyone who wants to inform themselves, but no, they prefer to just bitch and moan (aimed at the SM warriors, not yourself). It would also be handy if they actually knew what the local authority actually had responsibility for. And a quick glance at SM will tell you that this is in no way unique to Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Glenomra

The fact is that most people don't differentiate between the various announcements that have been issued over the last decade. People are fed up waiting for the development and became pessimistic that things would ever be built. Today was to use a cliche a game changer. The authorities have the funding in place already. They have the plans drawn up. They now have the elusive and crucial part, the planning permission. We will shortly see evidence of the beginning of the development, demolition will begin. Hoardings will be erected and soon after cranes will appear on site. People's narrative will then change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

You can understand the frustration, this has been dragging on for far too long....the city centre has been neglected over the last 12 years.

Hopefully this will start soon it could make a huge difference, anyone who has been in Cork recently can't help but notice how impressive the different developments are having for the city centre there, the city is looking really good these days...we really need this development to happen soon, it has been too long coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

You can understand the frustration, this has been dragging on for far too long....the city centre has been neglected over the last 12 years.

Hopefully this will start soon it could make a huge difference, anyone who has been in Cork recently can't help but notice how impressive the different developments are having for the city centre there, the city is looking really good these days...we really need this development to happen soon, it has been too long coming.

Every building in Cork looks the same and people are not too happy about . Need something with a bit of character.
    The Opera Centre is pretty drab as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Every building in Cork looks the same and people are not too happy about . Need something with a bit of character.
    The Opera Centre is pretty drab as well.

I hit the city from the Penrose Wharf recently and the place looked genuinely impressive...it was a beautiful day having said that...I'm not sure Irish cities place too much value on high quality design for whatever reason...are all those new developments rented out do you know?

I hit the city from the Penrose Wharf recently and the place looked genuinely impressive...it was a beautiful day having said that...I'm not sure Irish cities place too much value on high quality design for whatever reason...are all those new developments rented out do you know?

One of the Penrose Wharf/ Horgan Quay developments is a new hotel, another building is apartments and another has some prelets.
    I’m looking forward to it being finished as the construction activity is pretty disruptive for pedestrians and cyclists but I’m also looking forward to hopefully having somewhere half decent for a pint before the train.
    It look 15 years to get off the ground but the advantage Cork has over Limerick is the presence of large native developers such as JCD, O’Callaghan and O’Flynns.
    There’s a new tower just been granted on the opposite quay and it’s pretty awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

The Leader are reporting that the Bishops Quay development is due to start soon.

Separately, Celia Larkin has been named in the new council role to improve the retail offering of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

pigtown wrote:
    Separately, Celia Larkin has been named in the new council role to improve the retail offering of the city.

Jobs for the boys/girls alive and well

Leader we’re reporting bishops place office block was due to go ahead this week? Any idea if it has, or has this been delayed since?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Leader we’re reporting bishops place office block was due to go ahead this week? Any idea if it has, or has this been delayed since?

Hoarding was going up as I passed yesterday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Hoarding was going up as I passed yesterday evening.
    A positive sign..

• Advertisement

A positive sign..

No, just hoarding. Could be a big plus though.

drive in cinema. what's everyone opinion? I might petition the council for something like this (temporary). The potato market would be the obvious location, any thoughts? Milk Market traders could operate some sort of contactless system - where no1 would leave their car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

drive in cinema. what's everyone opinion? I might petition the council for something like this (temporary). The potato market would be the obvious location, any thoughts? Milk Market traders could operate some sort of contactless system - where no1 would leave their car.

Great idea but reckon the Potato Market is a bit small. Somewhere like the Racecourse with a large car park may be more suitable.

A new residential development is being proposed for Annacotty/ Castletroy. It includes houses duplexes and apartments. Known as walkershill and has a website walkershill.ie

Wow thats a tight enough fit for what they are proposing!

https://walkershill.ie/drawings/landscape/Landscape-Masterplan.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭ricimaki

It looks good. Nice to see some more housing and apartments planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Depending on how the restrictions on life continue, especially if we have to go on repeated lockdowns if the virus peaks in waves, the market for this kind of development could become more limited. At least in the short term until a successful medical treatment or vaccine is widely available Not all lockdowns are equal and the experience of people in apartments is significantly different to how it is for people with gardens. Infection risk is also quite a bit higher in high density developments and even more so in apartment buildings with communal doors/hallways/lifts/etc.

I think developers will also have to look at their floor plans and allow space for working from home. The vast majority of new apartments have a single kitchen living dining room which isn't great for working in, especially if you're sharing with housemates rather than family

I’m living in a decent 2 bed apartment and all is good as it is well planned. We have a spacious balcony that I started growing fruit/veg on. We have a park nearby which I would take any day over a back garden.

The people I feel bad for are the house shares. Lots of 5 bed house shares in Annacotty and elsewhere in limerick. I was on a Skype call with a colleague and could hear and see 2 other people working in the kitchen and one person making a salad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭mart 23

There is a tender on e-tenders for demolition work in the Opera center.

Advertisement