Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Anyways back to the Canal Bank. It was refused because they only did a half arsed Natura Impact Statement. There was no ecology report or tree survey. That was the only reason for refusal, so if the do a proper NIS and resubmit, they'll more than likely get their permission.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Mc Love wrote: »
    Build the LNDR and you would get a lot more cars coming into the city, as it would pave the way for more housing developments along the route. We want to encourage people to live in the city, not outside it.

Not necessarily. That's a planning decision which isn't set in stone by building the LNDR. The issue of course is Clare County Council possibly taking advantage of the route, but that can be dealt with in the planning process

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Building more roads like the LNDR will just encourage more car commuting that will eventually lead to increased congestion. It will also invariably facilitate more low density car dependent housing estates and business parks etc. and we'll be back to square one again.

We were told back in the mid 2000s that the Southern Ring Road and tunnel would facilitate the wholesale remodelling of Limerick city centre to include part pedestrianisation of O'Connell Street. Unsurprisingly this never happened and now the perpetually incompetent Limerick City and County Council want to blow at least €150 million to plough a road through farmland in rural Clare. It's high time that they switched their focus from facilitating yet more car traffic to providing adequate infrastructure for public transport, pedestrians and cyclists in the city. Limerick Council has gone out of its way to accommodate vehicular traffic over the decades with disastrous results for the city centre in particular. What's the definition of insanity?

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

phog wrote: »
    Build the Northern Distributor Road and you'd remove a huge quantity of vehicles from East Clare arriving into Corbally

A wall would be more cost effective. We could spend the rest of the money on things that would actually improve the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭source

Vanquished wrote: »
    Building more roads like the LNDR will just encourage more car commuting that will eventually lead to increased congestion. It will also invariably facilitate more low density car dependent housing estates and business parks etc. and we'll be back to square one again.

We were told back in the mid 2000s that the Southern Ring Road and tunnel would facilitate the wholesale remodelling of Limerick city centre to include part pedestrianisation of O'Connell Street. Unsurprisingly this never happened and now the perpetually incompetent Limerick City and County Council want to blow at least €150 million to plough a road through farmland in rural Clare. It's high time that they switched their focus from facilitating yet more car traffic to providing adequate infrastructure for public transport, pedestrians and cyclists in the city. Limerick Council has gone out of its way to accommodate vehicular traffic over the decades with disastrous results for the city centre in particular. What's the definition of insanity?

Not if the planning is contingent on both Clare and Limerick councils being forbidden from developing housing along the route.

As to your second point, that was never a realistic proposition. Given that all traffic moving from the north and the majority of the traffic from the west of the city to the south still has to go through the city centre is the major problem preventing full pedestrianisation of OCS.

Giving that traffic an alternate route will make the city centre a much nicer place to live, and would entice more people to live in the city. As it currently stands between OCS and HS we basically have a slow speed motorway going through the city centre.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Hopefully it goes ahead but wouldn’t mind if the council requested a more visually appealing material than that blue cladding. Looks like something you’d see down the back of the Raheen Industial Estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Is that just beside that building with all the big antennas atop it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

keane2097 wrote:
    Is that just beside that building with all the big antennas atop it?

That's right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Here.
    Looks like something you’d see down the back of the Raheen Industial Estate.
    I'd hope they'd make it a bit more visually appealing, too. Roches Street is hardly a beauty spot, but surely they could require something a bit better than that blue cladding. The Uber offices on the corner with Catherine street at least feature a bit of brickwork, with mostly glass, on the street-facing sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

adaminho wrote: »

Nothing mentioned in the article but I assume that's a car park they have above the store.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭geotrig

Nothing mentioned in the article but I assume that's a car park they have above the store.

To me it doesn't look like it , they don't necessarily need car parking as such or maybe have a limited around the back or that. The only thing id be interested In is deliveries access it would be a tight squeeze for a 40ft to try and turn in and you don't want it holding up traffic unloading deliveries either unless an agreement was made for late or early morning deliveries only i.e pre 7am etc

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

From here
    If permission is granted, the 2,460sq m store will be constructed in Aldi’s award-winning Project Fresh design and will be powered by 100% green electricity, with 85 car parking spaces and three free-to-use electric vehicle charging points.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭Jofspring

geotrig wrote: »
    To me it doesn't look like it , they don't necessarily need car parking as such or maybe have a limited around the back or that. The only thing id be interested In is deliveries access it would be a tight squeeze for a 40ft to try and turn in and you don't want it holding up traffic unloading deliveries either unless an agreement was made for late or early morning deliveries only i.e pre 7am etc

There is access from the back next to the social welfare office as far as I know. They can probably use this for deliveries.

Jofspring wrote: »
    There is access from the back next to the social welfare office as far as I know. They can probably use this for deliveries.

That entrance would be pretty tight for 40ft artics too. Here's the site from google maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

That entrance would be pretty tight for 40ft artics too. Here's the site from google maps.

They would probably lift any arctic delivery's with a crane, couldnt imagine an arctic trying do squeeze down a tight spot, anyone remember a few years ago the massive Argus truck that got stuck by the round house?! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Couldn't they not access the site from Dominic Street by the Dole Office?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Berty wrote: »

A 40ft truck would find it very difficult to come up Cecil St and turn in that entrance, if they got a straight run at it from Costello's pub side then it probably would squeeze in. I assume they'll have a loading bay something similar to what Dunnes have on Lower Shannon St, which won't do much for the eyesore.

• Advertisement

Berty wrote: »

See the google maps link in my previous post. It would be extremely difficult to maneuver a 40ft in there.
    A 40ft truck would find it very difficult to come up Cecil St and turn in that entrance, if they got a straight run at it from Costello's pub side then it probably would squeeze in. I assume they'll have a loading bay something similar to what Dunnes have on Lower Shannon St, which won't do much for the eyesore.

Traffic is one way towards Glentworth St past Baker Place, so an arctic would have to drive up Cecil St onto Dominic St and reverse into the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭apc

Jez Roches Street is bad alot of the time during the day, this will make is so much worse. Another William Street?

apc wrote: »
    Jez Roches Street is bad alot of the time during the day, this will make is so much worse. Another William Street?

How on earth will replacing a blank wall of hoarding with a large store that will have a large footfall every day disimprove upper Roches Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Gary Owen

That’s about the only way to do it .
    You would want to be gone out of it by 7.30am , down Cecil st again

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭apc

How on earth will replacing a blank wall of hoarding with a large store that will have a large footfall every day disimprove upper Roches Street?

Apologies I should have said from a traffic and parking point of view

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭geotrig

apc wrote: »
    Apologies I should have said from a traffic and parking point of view

I would assume that although they are providing parking etc that their target is footfall traffic from inner city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Jesus the council have wrecked Thomond Bridge with removing the paving slabs and pouring concrete paths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

Sounds awful. Any pictures Kilburn?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Paddico wrote: »
    Sounds awful. Any pictures Kilburn?

It's the same thing they did to the other side a couple of months ago. I crossed over that bridge several days a week and can never remember seeing any issue with the paving stones there.

Similarly along Clancy's Strand they've dug up several paving stones and dumped in a load of concrete.

The pathetic standards those in charge of the public realm in Limerick hold themselves to is pretty depressing. The apathy or inability in the council across a variety of similar issues is one of the main things that would make me think of leaving the city in the medium term.

Advertisement