Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭geotrig

kilburn wrote: »
    Jesus the council have wrecked Thomond Bridge with removing the paving slabs and pouring concrete paths.

They were not that great looking slabs in the 1st place but better than the concrete slabs we get everywhere some places are ok),I wonder if they've got the black goo treatment yet !:rolleyes:
    But i wonder how you are you supposed to encourage people to invest in and renovate old and Gerogian buildings when you wont put any thought /investment into the city.

its a grand path as concrete paths go ;)but the whiteness of it when i saw it after been layed was a bit jarring with the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

kilburn wrote: »
    Jesus the council have wrecked Thomond Bridge with removing the paving slabs and pouring concrete paths.

If I remember correctly the reason for the concrete was that water was seeping through the gaps on the paving stones and long term would cause damage to the structure.

Would like to see something more in keeping with the area myself but maybe they can’t put paving on top of a concrete layer. It’s not like they can raise the walls to match. Maybe they can’t go down deep enough either to put two layers.

They surely could have put a bit of dye into the concrete to match the colour of the walls?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

If I remember correctly the reason for the concrete was that water was seeping through the gaps on the paving stones and long term would cause damage to the structure.

Would like to see something more in keeping with the area myself but maybe they can’t put paving on top of a concrete layer. It’s not like they can raise the walls to match. Maybe they can’t go down deep enough either to put two layers.

They surely could have put a bit of dye into the concrete to match the colour of the walls?

I'm not a civil engineer but I find it somewhat far fetched that a nearly 200 year old bridge was at risk of structural damage from water.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Jesus if they said that they better warn London and Paris as they are in serious trouble with loads of 200 year old bridges.

It's the medieval core and they pull up cobbled streets and wreck the bridge.

Where are the green party and an Taisce when you need them.......

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I dunno how thems aquaducts ever stayed up at all at all :P

• Advertisement

even this with a stencil to fake slabbing :pac:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Berty wrote: »
    I dunno how thems aquaducts ever stayed up at all at all :P

That was the Romans for you

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The details of the Aldi store are now up on the council site (planning ref 20395). Some of the access and parking questions are answered.

154 no. car parking spaces in 3 no. levels of multi-storey carparking(85 no. Aldi customer car parking at 1st and 2nd floor level, 69 no. car parking at rooftop level[Eir 54 no. spaces and Aldi 15 no. spaces]), 9 no. surface car parking spaces(for Eir) to rear as well as provision of 2 no. disabled parking spaces and 1 no. electric vehicle parking space on Roches Street;

2 no. vehicular access points from Roches Street(1 no. service access with gates and 1 no. vehicular access to multi-storey car park);

Existing access at the corner of Cecil and Dominick Street is to be retained as service access

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

keane2097 wrote: »
    I'm not a civil engineer but I find it somewhat far fetched that a nearly 200 year old bridge was at risk of structural damage from water.

They do suffer over time, have a look here.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Didn’t they do a huge amount of inspection on Thomond Bridge around 2 years ago?

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Didn’t they do a huge amount of inspection on Thomond Bridge around 2 years ago?

There was work going on there a number of years ago on the bridge but it stopped because of the tragic death of a worker.

Yes I remember that at sarsfield bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

There was work going on there a number of years ago on the bridge but it stopped because of the tragic death of a worker.

Wasn't that completed earlier this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

https://twitter.com/Limerick_Leader/status/1263924354083024897

From the leaders article:
    Osprey Construction Ltd has secured conditional planning permission for a 92-unit development at Knockhill on the Ennis Road, near the Coonagh Roundabout.

According to the proposals, some 92 residential units will be built on green space located on a 2.487 hectare side between the Ennis Road and the Condell Road

There will be two detached houses, 22 semi-detached homes, 12 terraced living spaces, 12 duplex unit, and one six-storey apartment complex.​

This will comprise of 44 apartments with parking in the basement. Access to the site will be provided from the Ennis Road.

I’d rather a home than a living space. I guess the homes are more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Always liked the last house on the left on the Ennis road I can see why they are selling up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

keane2097 wrote: »

Well if you were a structural engineer you mightn’t find it far fetched or even a degree in common sense instead of pontificating.
    Bridges are susceptible to comprise all the time.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Well if you were a structural engineer you mightn’t find it far fetched or even a degree in common sense instead of pontificating.
    Bridges are suspended to comprise all the time.

Tremendous "pont" pun, Rog.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Bridges are susceptible to comprise all the time.

Ok on reflection they did an unreal job

A new Lidl store is to be built on the site of the old Limerick Rusks factory on St. Alphonsus St. across the road from Dolans according to the Leader.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

A new Lidl store is to be built on the site of the old Limerick Rusks factory on St. Alphonsus St. across the road from Dolans according to the Leader.

Was wondering what was going on there. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Was walking around town today, and there was a crane and lots of scaffolding erected outside one of the Georgian buildings on Barrington St. Looks like they were preparing for renovations - maybe someone can confirm? I know that one/two such buildings on O'Connell St. were renovated last year, and they look really good now. Hopefully this trend continues

Was walking around town today, and there was a crane and lots of scaffolding erected outside one of the Georgian buildings on Barrington St. Looks like they were preparing for renovations - maybe someone can confirm? I know that one/two such buildings on O'Connell St. were renovated last year, and they look really good now. Hopefully this trend continues

I'm sure they're adding an extra floor on top of it.

I'm sure they're adding an extra floor on top of it.

Is that 26 Barrington St? If so there are demolition works ongoing due to fire damage.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Big fire there a few weeks ago. You could see the smoke from beyond the Crescent Shopping Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Is that 26 Barrington St? If so there are demolition works ongoing due to fire damage.

Surely you mean that only the interior of the building will be gutted and not the building itself will be demolished?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Big fire there a few weeks ago. You could see the smoke from beyond the Crescent Shopping Centre.
    Ah right, cheers didn't hear about that.

Surely you mean that only the interior of the building will be gutted and not the building itself will be demolished?

I've no idea. But just because the walls are still standing doesn't mean it's structurally sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

The notification from Limerick Council mentioned demolition of the building as the reason for the road closure.

• Advertisement

From passing it quickly recently i thought it was ok and works where underway to repair it , from looking at that video i noticed some more damage than i realised was there on a quick pass ,real pity if they have to knock it :(

Advertisement