Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

They can just fill the site with cement.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mastershake

geotrig wrote: »
    From passing it quickly recently i thought it was ok and works where underway to repair it , from looking at that video i noticed some more damage than i realised was there on a quick pass ,real pity if they have to knock it :(

Hoping this isn't the case. We cannot afford to loose yet another georgian building in Limerick. Everything should be done to save the external frontage of the building.It appears from the footage that the external seems largely intact. Fingers crossed it can be saved.
    CosmicFool wrote: »
    Was wondering what was going on there. Thanks

You seem to be mixed up there. The former gasworks site on O'Curry street is currently undergoing land remediation to clean up the site. No building as far as i'm aware of is plannend there. The proposed Lidl is on the corner of St. Alphonsus Street and the dock road across from Dolans Warehouse

https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.6581579,-8.6391078,157m/data=!3m1!1e3

https://www.gasnetworks.ie/corporate/company/our-network/projects/current-and-planned/limerick-gasworks-remedia/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

phog wrote: »
    The notification from Limerick Council mentioned demolition of the building as the reason for the road closure.

Surely they can keep the facade of the building?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Paddico wrote: »

Nobody knows how much of it is to be demolished. All it said on the council site was 'demolition works'.

As I said earlier, the outer walls of the building may still be standing, but that does not mean that they're structurally sound. I'm sure they'd want to save as much as they can, but that may not be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mastershake

Paddico wrote: »

I had a look at the ongoing demolition works yesterday. It would seem that the floors and roof have been removed. I am optimistic though that the facade will not be demoilished as the brickwork at least externally seems in good condition. The external wall to the rear also appeared to be unscathed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Hopefully it can be saved. Many years ago it was the buildling that housed the henry cecil on Lower Cecil Street.

That was not meant to be knocked at all, my mother was working in a clothes shop across the street when emergency services cleared all the buildlings. Seems some lad working in the basement using some equipment damaged/removed one of the building support stacks and the buildling became so unstable it had to come down.

So, surely the wall on the dock road should never have such a fate(as not 4/5 stories high with underground supports) unless some vehicle on the site manages to damage it beyond repair.

Berty wrote: »
    Hopefully it can be saved. Many years ago it was the buildling that housed the henry cecil on Lower Cecil Street.

That was not meant to be knocked at all, my mother was working in a clothes shop across the street when emergency services cleared all the buildlings. Seems some lad working in the basement using some equipment damaged/removed one of the building support stacks and the buildling became so unstable it had to come down.

So, surely the wall on the dock road should never have such a fate(as not 4/5 stories high with underground supports) unless some vehicle on the site manages to damage it beyond repair.

Wall on the dock road? It's is a 4 storey over basement Georgian house on Barrington St we're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭geotrig

I take it the risk now is the remaining walls have no support structure to help keep them upright,There was as tv programme on notre dame recently ,which although no real comparison ! showed the tricky/risky work in saving it was securing the building after the fire was put out.

Wall on the dock road? It's is a 4 storey over basement Georgian house on Barrington St we're talking about.

I'll get my coat

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Has anyone been down O'Curry St recently? The smell from gasworks is really bad, must be terrible for people living around it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've run and cycled past it a fair few times over the last few weeks. The smell isn't as bad as you're making it out to be.

I've run and cycled past it a fair few times over the last few weeks. The smell isn't as bad as you're making it out to be.

I drove past it and its fairly rank to be honest.

Mc Love wrote: »

I drove past last week and got no smell. It probably depends on whats going on on site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

Long term plans for greenways in the region have been published by the council. Hopefully they can be implemented

https://twitter.com/DanielButlerFG/status/1265319935011631106?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭geotrig

has there not always been an on/off smell in that area ?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Ranks have been gone from that area for years.

geotrig wrote: »
    has there not always been an on/off smell in that area ?

Might have been from National Rusks site.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

National Rusks smelled lovely! A waft of peppery goodness every time you passed by!

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Passed today. There is a strong smell. It could be fumes from the machinery currently on site although it's hard to tell. Presuming it's temporary.

They are doing a nice job on the wall surrounding the site. Hopefully they maintain those standards as works progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Passed today. There is a strong smell. It could be fumes from the machinery currently on site although it's hard to tell. Presuming it's temporary.

They are doing a nice job on the wall surrounding the site. Hopefully they maintain those standards as works progress.

That smell is the remnants of the spent coal that was used to create coal gas. Link

I should have added that the spent coal is actually coke and tar like substance as well.

It was very common as a source of lighting around the World before electrification. The biggest problem was the disposal of the spent coal, it was almost a tar-like product, so the smell is very close to that. I can't remember any of the old coal gas lighting poles (article here).

There are a few dotted around Kilkee as I remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

mrsoundie wrote: »
    That smell is the remnants of the spent coal that was used to create coal gas. Link

I should have added that the spent coal is actually coke and tar like substance as well.

It was very common as a source of lighting around the World before electrification. The biggest problem was the disposal of the spent coal, it was almost a tar-like product, so the smell is very close to that. I can't remember any of the old coal gas lighting poles (article here).

There are a few dotted around Kilkee as I remember.

Thanks. Interesting stuff.

The huge piles of excavated earth created in the last week have released those fumes in that case?

They were meant to have fans or something to combat the smell but they dont seem to have worked because when I was working on Henry st, could smell it as soon as I walked out of the building

Interest developments to try to entice people back into the city. https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/545701/urban-playground-planned-for-limerick-city-centre.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
    The plan, entitled Guiding Limerick through Covid-19 will see many of the streets around the Milk Market and the old quarter shut off to cars, as the local authority bids to persuade families to travel into the city by bicycle or public transport.
    Among the thoroughfares turned into walkways only – for the summer months initially – are Catherine Street, Denmark Street, Nicholas Street plus Mungret Street.

Speaking about these streets, Cllr Leddin said: “They lend themselves perfectly to pedestrianisation. As does Catherine Street, leading onto Lower Catherine Street and onto Thomas Street. These are pedestrianised, or semi-pedestrianised anyway. We are trying to make better use of public space and give people a reason to come back into the city centre.”

Even with the streets which will not be pedestrianised, it’s anticipated the pavements on these will be a lot wider to help hospitality traders respect the social distancing measures which will remain in place well into autumn.
    there will be an extension of the cycle route along the Condell Road over Shannon Bridge and along Howley’s Quay.

There will also be new routes developed connecting the Limerick Institute of Technology, via New Road and High Road in Thomondgate and Clancy’s Strand by the river.​

Greenways will be looked at from the South Circular Road down Henry Street, as well from the Groody Roundabout to the Parkway and Clare Street into the centre of the city.

They were meant to have fans or something to combat the smell but they dont seem to have worked because when I was working on Henry st, could smell it as soon as I walked out of the building

I drove passed earlier(dock road) and they have fans that appear to be swirling around a mist of some type. I did smell something, it has a heavy chemical smell. Smelled like the stuff you would seal underground structures/foundations against water ingress. May not be it, but a quick sniff driving passed reminded me of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Thanks. Interesting stuff.

The huge piles of excavated earth created in the last week have released those fumes in that case?

Yes and I would add that the Company takes with doing the remediation have a misting system going around the site to keep down the dust. I have been passing it twice a day and the progression is something. I would be surprised if Dolans don't try and buy the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 orangeocelot

Morning Ireland and Live 95 have had segments over the last few days on a 'Guiding Limerick through Covid-19' plan which apparently involves pedestrianising Catherine St and Denmark St, cycle route across Shannon bridge, etc.

Does anyone have a link to the actual document? I'm not sure if it's been released to the public yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

Morning Ireland and Live 95 have had segments over the last few days on a 'Guiding Limerick through Covid-19' plan which apparently involves pedestrianising Catherine St and Denmark St, cycle route across Shannon bridge, etc.

Does anyone have a link to the actual document? I'm not sure if it's been released to the public yet?
    3 posts above you

3 posts above you

That's a link to the Limerick Leader...?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 orangeocelot

3 posts above you

Oops somehow I missed that, although I've already seen the Leader article!

The actual document still seems nowhere to be found though, so I guess my question still stands.

• Advertisement

Oops somehow I missed that, although I've already seen the Leader article!

The actual document still seems nowhere to be found though, so I guess my question still stands.

I don't think it's been released yet.

Advertisement