Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 limez

mrsoundie wrote: »
    I should have added that the spent coal is actually coke and tar like substance as well.

It was very common as a source of lighting around the World before electrification. The biggest problem was the disposal of the spent coal, it was almost a tar-like product, so the smell is very close to that.

Coal tar was once a very useful source of pain-killers, including paracetamol/Calpol. Because of the massive worldwide consumption, and production developments, it isn't made from coal tar anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Oops somehow I missed that, although I've already seen the Leader article!

The actual document still seems nowhere to be found though, so I guess my question still stands.
    keane2097 wrote: »
    I don't think it's been released yet.

DM me your email for a copy

• Registered Users Posts: 34 orangeocelot

Mc Love wrote: »
    DM me your email for a copy

Thanks.
    Plan is now available here https://www.limerick.ie/council/services/business-and-economy/business-supports/mobility-plan

They sure made it hard to find, I gave up looking for it a while ago and asked a cllr to email it to me.

Already fired off a mail to ecdev@limerick.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

. . . just before the lockdown Robert Butler was about to begin demolition on the old ESB building on Bishops Quay . . .

From the lofty Riverpoint webcam, one can see that the demolition works has resumed. :cool:

514728.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭source

https://twitter.com/oliviaos/status/1266716312174317570?s=19

Some pics here of the demolition works. Can't wait for that ugly building to be gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

Great that that ****hole will be gone of course, but such a pity that such a valuable space in such an ideal location isn't being put to its best use. Should be much taller and a mixture of residential as well as the office space. Having more people living in that area would create good footfall in the evenings

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Arrival wrote: »
    Great that that ****hole will be gone of course, but such a pity that such a valuable space in such an ideal location isn't being put to its best use. Should be much taller and a mixture of residential as well as the office space. Having more people living in that area would create good footfall in the evenings

It is a mixture. There are around 30 apartments to be built as part of the scheme. It was originally 15 storeys, but the developer couldn't make the numbers work so reduced it to 7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

It is a mixture. There are around 30 apartments to be built as part of the scheme. It was originally 15 storeys, but the developer couldn't make the numbers work so reduced it to 7.

So there are definitely apartments going in there? My bad then, someone had told me it was purely office space. That's great to hear because we're in dire need of more apartments in the centre. Such a pity it got its height reduced because it would've fit in well beside River point

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Unless somebody mentioned it the new estate on the blood mill road has started breaking ground.

• Advertisement

If anyone is interested in joining to assist with the ongoing efforts to improve our city streets and counties roads - might be worth be joining this group.

The next open meeting for new members and a prospective committee is tonight! 8pm via Zoom. Mail pedestrianLK@gmail.com if you'd like to join us. We'll catch you up on the network, the #WeNeedSpace campaign, and our next steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/547401/limerick-traders-may-make-legal-bid-to-block-post-coronavirus-pedestrianisation-plans.html

Disappointing reaction to the council's plans for the city center. Especially so seeing as the businesses named are on fully or partially pedestrianised streets.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/547401/limerick-traders-may-make-legal-bid-to-block-post-coronavirus-pedestrianisation-plans.html

Disappointing reaction to the council's plans for the city center. Especially so seeing as the businesses named are on fully or partially pedestrianised streets.

I used to have a lot of time for Nick Rabbits, but his standard of journalism is utterly woeful these days. I get the impression he's under instruction to appeal to the lowest common denominator, or at least to an audience with no critical abilities at all. Everything seems like it's tailored for the Facebook comments section demographic.

It's not just this article. The piece he wrote about the "5G mast protest" (about half a dozen eejits on the Old Cratloe Road) was full of typos and was giving a voice to a fringe who should really be ignored. And don't get me started on his stunt about "traffic chaos on Shannon Bridge" the day the Garda checkpoints started.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

When they did the works in Catherine Street before, our shop lost €100,000 turnover at that time.

Talk about ****ing delusional.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

It also seems to me that the article is painting Limerick Civic Trust as being in agreement with the two boys who have the shops on pedestrianised streets, while the quotes don't actually suggest that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭sioda

O Connors don't have a leg to stand on they are on pedestrian street as it is. I would like to see this happen even if just as a trial to see how it effects the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

I just don't get it. There is ample parking that surrounds those streets. People are just ****ing lazy to park in one of the multiple multi storey car parks and walk. They'd rather park at he side of the street, in double lined areas, or up William Street and block traffic.

I hope this works and that they pedestianize these streets fully. I do hope that if it does work that they won't use those depression grey slabs either. Some nice plants and trees with some colourful canopies or something. Limerick has suberb potential but the idiots in power just seem to squander it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

CosmicFool wrote: »
    I just don't get it. There is ample parking that surrounds those streets. People are just ****ing lazy to park in one of the multiple multi storey car parks and walk. They'd rather park at he side of the street, in double lined areas, or up William Street and block traffic.

I hope this works and that they pedestianize these streets fully. I do hope that if it does work that they won't use those depression grey slabs either. Some nice plants and trees with some colourful canopies or something. Limerick has suberb potential but the idiots in power just seem to squander it

Too many people in power and essentially in charge of the city actually have no great love for the city. Probably live in County Limerick in McMansions and prefer the Crescent. They probably drive to work in the city hall, park out the back and back out the road at 5pm with little or no interaction with the city itself. A city should be run by people who have an interest in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

That’s me done with that butchers - they do a roaring trade on the back of being situated on a pedestrianized street, talk about short sighted.
    (Got rotten meat there twice lately also so that helps my decision. )
    Limerick city has become a place to abandon your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

CosmicFool wrote: »

Too many people in power and essentially in charge of the city actually have no great love for the city. Probably live in County Limerick in McMansions and prefer the Crescent. They probably drive to work in the city hall, park out the back and back out the road at 5pm with little or no interaction with the city itself. A city should be run by people who have an interest in it.

• Advertisement

I saw that extra floor on top of Nolan's Corner this morning coming in from Corbally. It may be my personal taste/opinion but that's just an eyesore and I'm shocked that there could be approved planning for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Berty wrote: »
    I saw that extra floor on top of Nolan's Corner this morning coming in from Corbally. It may be my personal taste/opinion but that's just an eyesore and I'm shocked that there could be approved planning for that.

Knowing the people that own it, probably is no planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Berty wrote: »

It wasn’t approved for planning. The council are aware and sent the owner a letter last month telling them it was unauthorised. Not sure if anything has happened since.

I only spotted it this morning because I went that way on the commute instead of the Corbally link, wouldn't spot it coming out of town and when I saw it from the lights(St Marys Church) it looked an absolute eye sore. Surely that's a listed building in some shape or form.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭mart 23

Knowing the people that own it, probably is no planning.

The council has looked for further information on the planning for the apartment.

Has work restarted on the Rugby Museum. ?

mart 23 wrote: »

They've been back on site for the last three weeks.

Limerick 2030 have announced that the City Library will be moving to the old InStore building while the Opera site is under construction and that the HAP services will be moving to new office space on Henry St where Elverys used to be. https://limerick2030.ie/?p=1437

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

mart 23 wrote: »
    The council has looked for further information on the planning for the apartment.

The initial planning application was for a first floor apartment at the back of the building roughly over the toilets.

The building work mentioned on this thread is a penthouse on the roof of the main building. Third or fourth floor level.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Surely you mean that only the interior of the building will be gutted and not the building itself will be demolished?

I passed the building this morning, they seem to have saved to exterior walls.

• Advertisement

I think this would be a great plan for the city - wasnt sure if it should have its own thread:

https://limerickcycledesign.com/2020/05/22/an-amateurs-traffic-circulation-plan-for-limerick-city-centre/

Advertisement