Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's only Catherine St affected. Everything else goes ahead as proposed. While it's not ideal, were still getting pedestrianisation on Denmark Street, Robert Street, Howley’s Quay and Nicholas Street. We're getting lower speed limits, a new cycle lane on Shannon bridge, car parking spaces converted to bike parking and wider footpaths on O'Connell St.

Please don't paint it like the whole plan has been thrown on the scrapheap because the Catherine St. part isn't going ahead as planned.

Is the plan not now for pedestrianisation of those streets after 6 o’clock and all day on Sunday though?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's only Catherine St affected. Everything else goes ahead as proposed. While it's not ideal, were still getting pedestrianisation on Denmark Street, Robert Street, Howley’s Quay and Nicholas Street. We're getting lower speed limits, a new cycle lane on Shannon bridge, car parking spaces converted to bike parking and wider footpaths on O'Connell St.

Please don't paint it like the whole plan has been thrown on the scrapheap because the Catherine St. part isn't going ahead as planned.

Traders got their way even though the original didnt impact their businesses. The public submissions werent even looked at so yes it is a bit of a kick in the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

55% of the consultation submissions were in favour of the plan with 35% against and remaining undecided

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

These traders still won't reveal their own identities by the way. If that doesn't justify the use of the word 'cabal' I think we need to start handing out free dictionaries to all those clutching their pearls about it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Is the plan not now for pedestrianisation of those streets after 6 o’clock and all day on Sunday though?

That's not the way I read this.
    The vast majority of the rest of Limerick Council’s mobility plan – designed to boost trade and footfall in the wake of the pandemic – will also stay unchanged, after a decision was reached following a three-hour long private meeting yesterday.
    It means that temporary pedestrianisation will be in place in Denmark Street, Robert Street, Howley’s Quay and Nicholas Street, while other measures will see a new 25 kilometre per hour advisory speed limit in place.
    https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/551523/limerick-councillors-plan-for-partial-pedestrianisation-of-catherine-street.html

• Advertisement

This is getting funny now lads. What do we want more of in the city? Pedestrian space? No - we'll just add more cars!!

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/550658/click-and-collect-set-for-limerick-city-centre.html#.XusbQx3CGh8.twitter

Mc Love wrote: »
    This is getting funny now lads. What do we want more of in the city? Pedestrian space? No - we'll just add more cars!!

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/550658/click-and-collect-set-for-limerick-city-centre.html#.XusbQx3CGh8.twitter

That is truly incredible, the only relief about it is that it won't change the ****ty behaviour of motorists who already use the entire city as a loading bay anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

I wouldn't be so sure. I'm usually optimistic about these things but technically you could still describe Catherine Street as being temporarily pedestrianised, just in the evenings though.

It would be nice if someone in the council published the revised plan so we can see what is actually going ahead

Coqbull added to the list

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Coqbull added to the list

In favour or against?

• Advertisement

Against and found out some rather interesting information about both of the businesses

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Well I hold my hands up to being wrong (can't help being an optimist). It's a heap of sh1t of a plan.

https://www.limerick.ie/council/newsroom/news/vast-majority-guiding-limerick-through-covid-19-be-implemented

Catherine Street - between Glentworth Street and Cecil Street

Closed to traffic from 11am Sunday until 2am Monday
    Buildouts of footpaths to facilitate parklets to be considered
    Closures may be facilitated on Friday or Saturday evenings for organised events

Denmark Street and Robert Street

Closed to traffic from St. Michael’s Church Car Park from 6pm to 2am on Thursday, Friday and Saturday
    Closure extends to Carr Street

Nicholas Street - between King John’s Castle and Newgate Lane

Closed to traffic from 11am until 6pm daily. Vehicular access retained for residents and traders.

Howley’s Quay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

Well I hold my hands up to being wrong (can't help being an optimist). It's a heap of sh1t of a plan.

https://www.limerick.ie/council/newsroom/news/vast-majority-guiding-limerick-through-covid-19-be-implemented

Catherine Street - between Glentworth Street and Cecil Street

Buildouts of footpaths to facilitate parklets to be considered
    Closures may be facilitated on Friday or Saturday evenings for organised events

Denmark Street and Robert Street

Closed to traffic from St. Michael’s Church Car Park from 6pm to 2am on Thursday, Friday and Saturday
    Closure extends to Carr Street

Nicholas Street - between King John’s Castle and Newgate Lane

Closed to traffic from 11am until 6pm daily. Vehicular access retained for residents and traders.

Howley’s Quay

So the council's big response to this pandemic is pedestrianisation of small parts of the city on Sundays. That's just a regular thing in other cities. Apart from the new bike lanes and Nicholas Street this is an absolute disappointment

Bring back the original plan and Murray's statement at the end is a just corporate bs

Months too late anyway. I think the disappearance of all the FF & FG councillors off of Twitter - never usually shy - says it all about how difficult it will be to defend this.

Lest we forget these are supposed to be Public Health measures in the midst of an unprecedented pandemic. Wrecked by some imaginary **** who wants to pick up ten suits for an imaginary wedding and a collection of other failing business people too cowardly to reveal their own identities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Mc Love wrote:
    Against and found out some rather interesting information about both of the businesses

Don't tease us...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭geotrig

Jesus ,that is pathetic and ridiculous.
    Although it's not totally related to the thread I also see that s green party poopooing the m20 over the next 5 years.

geotrig wrote: »
    Jesus ,that is pathetic and ridiculous.
    Although it's not totally related to the thread I also see that s green party poopooing the m20 over the next 5 years.

They're not

They're not

Believe it or not all the consternation around this stems from a question I sent in to their big online meeting today. They read it out word for word to how I wrote it so I don't think anyone else asked about it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭stuckintipp

They're not

Green Party's Ossian Smyth TD says M20 will not happen within the next five years, says it is not in favour of increasing capacity between Cork and Limerick #iestaff

Tweet from Daniel McConnell political editor of Irish Examiner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭geotrig

They're not

They are not what?
    They definitely are not backing it as they are pretty much apposed to every road development from what I see

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Am I to understand that Coqbul is owned by the same people who own another restaurant who have outdoor seating and thus are essentially objecting to this as they don't want potential competition?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Cossax wrote: »
    Am I to understand that Coqbul is owned by the same people who own another restaurant who have outdoor seating and thus are essentially objecting to this as they don't want potential competition?

Padraig Frawley

What's the other restaurant?

Cossax wrote: »

Yes - and you'd want to look into their outdoor seating arrangement. Not really legit
    Padraig Frawley

:cool:
    keane2097 wrote: »
    What's the other restaurant?

Cornstore

keane2097 wrote: »
    Believe it or not all the consternation around this stems from a question I sent in to their big online meeting today. They read it out word for word to how I wrote it so I don't think anyone else asked about it :o
    Green Party's Ossian Smyth TD says M20 will not happen within the next five years, says it is not in favour of increasing capacity between Cork and Limerick #iestaff

Tweet from Daniel McConnell political editor of Irish Examiner
    geotrig wrote: »
    They are not what?
    They definitely are not backing it as they are pretty much apposed to every road development from what I see

https://twitter.com/smytho/status/1273641074200903683?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Yes - and you'd want to look into their outdoor seating arrangement. Not really legit

Cornstore

Speak with your feet people- 2 establishments I won’t be supporting going forward.
    Is it that he doesn’t want other business to enjoy the benefits he has from pedestrianisation/calming?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

Cornstore

If anyone wants a laugh, the Cork Cornstore Twitter account retweeted a video of a pedestrianised street asking "how great would this be in Cork?"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Just so happens there's loading bays outside Mike O'Connell's, Tony Clarke's and Cornstore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

That’s what you call a u turn McLove. A screeching u turn across 6 lanes of traffic...

Advertisement