Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Just noticed this on the plan:

“Access to the Old Dublin Road between Park Point, Castletroy and Parkway Roundabout to be restricted to outbound traffic. To reduce commuting traffic, you will no longer be able to go from the junction near Aldi up the Groody Hill towards Rhebogue and the Parkway Roundabout. A 25km/h advisory speed limit will be implemented.”

I understand the need to reduce rat runs etc but if you live in Rhebogue/Corbally and come out of ALDI, this change means instead of taking the right up the hill, you’ll have to go left to the Groody Roundabout to turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

It still won't stop people travelling through Rhebogue, they will just access it from the Parkway roundabout and possibly even more people because if you see the roundabout backed up and all the way down to Maxol then you will just turn and avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

If you live in Rhebogue, why wouldnt you walk/cycle to Aldi?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Mc Love wrote: »

Aw come on man, genuinely now, have you ever carried a trolley load of shopping up that hill on your bike?! :D

I personally have cycled to Aldi & the cycle lane is great but it’s at the bottom of a steep hill. Tough at the best of times to get up it with even a little extra weight on the bike.

Not everybody would be physically able to carry bags etc up that hill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Just noticed this on the plan:

“Access to the Old Dublin Road between Park Point, Castletroy and Parkway Roundabout to be restricted to outbound traffic. To reduce commuting traffic, you will no longer be able to go from the junction near Aldi up the Groody Hill towards Rhebogue and the Parkway Roundabout. A 25km/h advisory speed limit will be implemented.”

I understand the need to reduce rat runs etc but if you live in Rhebogue/Corbally and come out of ALDI, this change means instead of taking the right up the hill, you’ll have to go left to the Groody Roundabout to turn.

So in effect this means that if traffic levels go back to normal, that the road between Groody and Parkway roundabouts will be even more backed up in the mornings.

This will inevitably lead to more people using the left lane (for turning into Parkway) to go around the roundabout and into town. Cue road rage and ongoing frustration from motorists who obey the lane directions.

I tried taking the bus in and out of town for around 6 months, but it was regularly late and not reliable, sometimes waiting 20-30 minutes on the side of the road with no shelter. It also broke down twice. Not so bad when the weather is good, but sucked otherwise, especially in the evenings when you are eager to get home. In addition, the 308 bus I used take was replaced by an airport bus that had suitcase racks instead of seats! So half the people getting on had nowhere to sit. I reverted back to driving out of frustration at the poor service.

I'm all for encouraging people to leave their cars at home for the commute, but there need to be reliable and regular alternative options put in place. No-one wants avoidable hardship.

Aldi doesn’t open till 9 so by the time people are in and have their groceries got, it’d be after 9.15 at the earliest. Don’t think it would affect the morning rush hour that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭adaminho

eljono wrote: »
    So in effect this means that if traffic levels go back to normal, that the road between Groody and Parkway roundabouts will be even more backed up in the mornings.

This will inevitably lead to more people using the left lane (for turning into Parkway) to go around the roundabout and into town. Cue road rage and ongoing frustration from motorists who obey the lane directions.

I tried taking the bus in and out of town for around 6 months, but it was regularly late and not reliable, sometimes waiting 20-30 minutes on the side of the road with no shelter. It also broke down twice. Not so bad when the weather is good, but sucked otherwise, especially in the evenings when you are eager to get home. In addition, the 308 bus I used take was replaced by an airport bus that had suitcase racks instead of seats! So half the people getting on had nowhere to sit. I reverted back to driving out of frustration at the poor service.

I'm all for encouraging people to leave their cars at home for the commute, but there need to be reliable and regular alternative options put in place. No-one wants avoidable hardship.
    It's for 10 weeks. It'll finish before schools are back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

adaminho wrote: »
    It's for 10 weeks. It'll finish before schools are back.

Ah ok, so it's only a temporary measure, I didn't see that in the post I quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Aw come on man, genuinely now, have you ever carried a trolley load of shopping up that hill on your bike?! :D

It won't be long before Aldi Ireland will be selling Cargo E-Bikes too. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Howleys quay will be closed from 7pm on Saturday evenings until 4am sunday morning and 11am sunday to 4 am monday morning from what I am hearing

2 nights? I wonder are they doing a bit of landscaping?

https://www.limerick.ie/council/newsroom/road-notices/traffic-control-r445-coonagh-roundabout-county-boundary

“This traffic control is necessary to enable extensive off peak road cleaning operations.“

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

Until the weather blows in

Paddico wrote: »

What about the days it doesn't though? Like the original Limerick proposal, that street is only being pedestrianised for the summer. If it became a bit more permanent canopies could be added to protect from the weather.

As it is Limerick has cafes and bars with permanent outdoor seating on the already pedestrianised Thomas St and Little Catherine St.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

Paddico wrote: »

We had about 6 weeks there were it was over 20 degrees each day. Its doesn't rain sideways all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭manna452121

It seems as part of the temporary changes a 25km sign has been erected at the start of the Condell road inbound just after the tunnel roundabout.None of the main speed signs have been changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

It seems as part of the temporary changes a 25km sign has been erected at the start of the Condell road inbound just after the tunnel roundabout.None of the main speed signs have been changed.

It's an advisory speed limit (the sign has a black circle around it) - the entire city is 25 km/h advisory since the other day. The actual speed limits remain as they were.

The main speed signs can't be changed as there's no legal 25km/h speed limit. The 25km/h is an advisory limit only, which is indicated by it being black and white rather than red and white.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

There's no "leaving" advisory zone signs though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Tree wrote: »
    There's no "leaving" advisory zone signs though.

I suppose the target traffic is inbound traffic. As its advisory there should be no need to "advise" traffic to speed up. The regulatory speed limit signs outbound would cover it anyway. Its not ideal. A 30kmh speed limit zone will be placed around the city centre in the coming months/early next year but that has to be passed by the councillors which takes time.

To further confuse motorists which changes the section of lower Denmark street is returning to a two way after many years. They are putting the stop markings back on the ground right now and I assume the stop sign will go up on a pole soon.

If you're leaving the alley, let's say you can turn right towards Arthur's quay and people turning off Patrick street, rightly or wrongly, won't be expecting that especially if the continued double yellow parking goes along by the side of Boojum as well.

And no, I don't know how long the two way section will be, just saw the markings earlier for the stop on the tarmac.

Berty wrote: »
    To further confuse motorists which changes the section of lower Denmark street is returning to a two way after many years. They are putting the stop markings back on the ground right now and I assume the stop sign will go up on a pole soon.

If you're leaving the alley, let's say you can turn right towards Arthur's quay and people turning off Patrick street, rightly or wrongly, won't be expecting that especially if the continued double yellow parking goes along by the side of Boojum as well.

And no, I don't know how long the two way section will be, just saw the markings earlier for the stop on the tarmac.

They have to do that so that people can get out of the carpark when the rest of Denmark St is closed to traffic. Although the closure is pretty pointless when it's only on Friday and Saturday nights.

They have to do that so that people can get out of the carpark when the rest of Denmark St is closed to traffic. Although the closure is pretty pointless when it's only on Friday and Saturday nights.

Pointless as well as there is another exit at the rear onto Ellen St.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Think its been like that for a good while. like above its just for the car park

Think its been like that for a good while. like above its just for the car park

No I checked this very recently actually and the road was definitely back to one way. The stop sign was gone(incl pole) and the line markings were back to a one way(2 lanes but still one way), so much so that there were arrows telling you to move from the right lane to the left lane after you make the turn off patrick street. You can tell by the alley coming from the side of Flannerys where it shows by the white lines that turning right is not allowed.

Streetview shows what I mean. https://goo.gl/maps/NfabBCV94VL5dNS39

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭manna452121

The main speed signs can't be changed as there's no legal 25km/h speed limit. The 25km/h is an advisory limit only, which is indicated by it being black and white rather than red and white.

Should they not have placed the 25k signs at the end of the Condell road maybe at the bridge so then people would notice a speed change even if it is Advisory

• Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Was there some weird budget that had to be spent on stuff you can attach to a pole and one for new poles?

Between the crazy positioning of the new poles and now the giant cutlery, it must just be some weird prank..

Did you see last week they installed those new speed limit poles right on Sarsfield bridge, 4 of them. Whatever happened they were gone 2 days later, somebody actually thought it was a good idea to dig 4 holes in the road, lay poles and pour some concrete back over it. Madness. Assume them to be the speed poles, never did see a sign on them but only realised afterwards when people say they've gone up on the Condell road so it would tally that that's what they could have been.

Either way, 4 x poles & old listed(surely) bridge = bad idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭sioda

I see permission to knock the Georgian house on Clancy's strand has been given. Hate to see usable buildings pulled down for more drab apartments

Advertisement