Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭The_Dave

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Was there some weird budget that had to be spent on stuff you can attach to a pole and one for new poles?

Between the crazy positioning of the new poles and now the giant cutlery, it must just be some weird prank..

There's a giant table and 2 chairs at the rear of Limerick Boat Club across from Poor Man's Kilkee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

Has anyone been on Nicholas Street this week? How is the pedestrianisation going?

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭manna452121

pigtown wrote: »
    Has anyone been on Nicholas Street this week? How is the pedestrianisation going?

I was on it this morning with no changes,cars going both ways.Some new seating near Tracys but not in use because of the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Not beginning until 16th

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Mc Love wrote: »
    Not beginning until 16th

What the f**k are they waiting for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The new housing development on the Bloodmill Road, Singland has started. All the timber hoarding has gone up around it and the diggers are in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭mart 23

I thought I read some time back that the local residents wanted to change the name of Bloodmill Road. It appears not to have happened .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Historically its a great name. Drove through Castletroy on Thursday. The amount of housing developments out that way is unreal and only really one out on the southside

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

COVID-21

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Statutory process to close roads. Im not sure whether other authorities are following this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

They can do some things right.

https://twitter.com/LimerickCouncil/status/1280486667674140672

They'll still have to apply to put furniture out, but it'll be free.

In related news.

https://twitter.com/DanielButlerFG/status/1280477669482774528

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

They recently started offering on street parking on Saturdays for free also but haven't learned from their own mistakes over the years because all that will happen is that staff will drive into the city, park their cars and stay in those spaces all day. People have asked them to start free parking from 9:30am but they obviously won't because it becomes free after 5:30pm on Saturday right through to Monday morning(apparently NCW has always been free on Saturdays though).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Berty wrote: »
    They recently started offering on street parking on Saturdays for free also but haven't learned from their own mistakes over the years because all that will happen is that staff will drive into the city, park their cars and stay in those spaces all day. People have asked them to start free parking from 9:30am but they obviously won't because it becomes free after 5:30pm on Saturday right through to Monday morning(apparently NCW has always been free on Saturdays though).

NCW is free 7 days a week. No one takes a blind bit of notice of the one traffic warden there. He will look for you for ages before issuing a ticket if it ever comes to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

some have suggested offering free parking through the limerick city epark app as this would allow them to track how effective it is and would also introduce new people to the app which would help long term.. but limerick council are on a box ticking exercise, having to measure the effectiveness would mean actual work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

mdmix wrote: »
    some have suggested offering free parking through the limerick city epark app as this would allow them to track how effective it is and would also introduce new people to the app which would help long term.. but limerick council are on a box ticking exercise, having to measure the effectiveness would mean actual work

Much better version of the idea than the current idea.

The free parking idea as it currently stands is a waste of time, parking enforcement is a joke as a 5 minute walk around the city will tell anyone - double parking, parking on the road with hazards on, on the footpath, in bus stops and loading bays etc. Sometimes even multiple of those at once!

Parking your car wherever you want or right outside the front door of a shop isn't something that will save the city, it's what the plan has been for years and hasn't worked.
    Parking your car at a central point and walking on streets without dodging traffic seems to work well enough for the Crescent, creates a buzz, encourages footfall and generates more revenue if the rent is anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Cossax wrote: »
    Much better version of the idea than the current idea.

The free parking idea as it currently stands is a waste of time, parking enforcement is a joke as a 5 minute walk around the city will tell anyone - double parking, parking on the road with hazards on, on the footpath, in bus stops and loading bays etc. Sometimes even multiple of those at once!

Parking your car wherever you want or right outside the front door of a shop isn't something that will save the city, it's what the plan has been for years and hasn't worked.
    Parking your car at a central point and walking on streets without dodging traffic seems to work well enough for the Crescent, creates a buzz, encourages footfall and generates more revenue if the rent is anything to go by.

They should giving say (picking numbers here) 500 free spaces in 5 car parks- and simultaneously removing 500 on street spaces.
    Pay the car parks a set price to offer the first 100 free or the first hour free for everyone etc. IMO it would be a win win- and get people used to car parks who normally avoid them.

martyc5674 wrote: »
    They should giving say (picking numbers here) 500 free spaces in 5 car parks- and simultaneously removing 500 on street spaces.
    Pay the car parks a set price to offer the first 100 free or the first hour free for everyone etc. IMO it would be a win win- and get people used to car parks who normally avoid them.

A couple of problems with that idea.

Firstly the multistorey car parks are usually either close to full or actually full, so there wouldn't be that many free spaces.

Secondly, even if the spaces were available, they are much more expensive than on street parking, so the cost would be a lot more than the lost revenue from the on street parking.

A couple of problems with that idea.

Firstly the multistorey car parks are usually either close to full or actually full, so there wouldn't be that many free spaces.

Secondly, even if the spaces were available, they are much more expensive than on street parking, so the cost would be a lot more than the lost revenue from the on street parking.

The opera center master plan references a parking census (which I was unable to find) stating that there are hundreds of unused parking spaces in Limerick multi-storey car parks. They used this to justify the limited parking in the opera center.

I don’t think paying private operators would be a good use of council funds, but availability is not an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭geotrig

I really don't think our problems lie with parking, we could offer the best parking in the world and some one or some business would find issue with it, our problems are people here are either greedy business that have vested interests or a lazy attitude i.e wont walk to x shop that is up on a street the other side of town when "I" can drive and pull up anywhere etc (not my attitude but we do see it a lot .
    To me some of its driven from the fact that the city has lacked focus and what seems like a coherent plan over the years with good development (i'm all for keeping as many old buildings as possible where possible but if we do have to knock/ replace some at least make them interesting or visually attractive buildings ), town seems smaller now than it did in the 80's 90's as loads of side streets have pretty much become redundant or abandoned, its a concrete jungle that intersect what seems like 2/3 street now and lacks an inviting atmosphere in general for various reasons and you can be finished browsing in 30-40 mins where as before it could take you hours .
    I still love town and love wondering around it and still notice and happen upon new things all the time but its a hard sell if to others if we don't appreciate it ourselves.

mdmix wrote: »
    The opera center master plan references a parking census (which I was unable to find) stating that there are hundreds of unused parking spaces in Limerick multi-storey car parks. They used this to justify the limited parking in the opera center.

I don’t think paying private operators would be a good use of council funds, but availability is not an issue.

Well pre covid the signs coming into the city never show hundreds of empty spaces and quite often have 'Full' shown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MilfordBud

What do ye think of the parklets idea? Overall I like the idea and would like to see a few more. I think the one on Catherine st. makes sense. Might be a bit cynical from me but I'm not sure I'd want to be sitting beside the two lanes of traffic going down O'Connell street. Maybe they'll have something up to offset the effects of that somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

MilfordBud wrote: »
    What do ye think of the parklets idea? Overall I like the idea and would like to see a few more. I think the one on Catherine st. makes sense. Might be a bit cynical from me but I'm not sure I'd want to be sitting beside the two lanes of traffic going down O'Connell street. Maybe they'll have something up to offset the effects of that somewhat.

I like the idea to give business owners the opportunity to open for business and increase their available space.

Personally, I dislike eating outdoors unless we have an exceptionally dry sunny day/evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

MilfordBud wrote: »

I think they will be great- once the council don’t make a ham fisted job of the installations. They need to look and feel appealing to work, so let’s hope the finish is sympathetic to the environment. Personally I won’t be using the one on O’Connell street- to me it’s a terrible environment for one, may aswell eat on the side of the M7. But let’s hope that changes somewhat too.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

martyc5674 wrote: »
    I think they will be great- once the council don’t make a ham fisted job of the installations. They need to look and feel appealing to work, so let’s hope the finish is sympathetic to the environment. Personally I won’t be using the one on O’Connell street- to me it’s a terrible environment for one, may aswell eat on the side of the M7. But let’s hope that changes somewhat too.

Personally the M7 might be more appealing, the one on O'Connell Street is beggar central, no beggars on the Motorway. Just the risk of death. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Personally the M7 might be more appealing, the one on O'Connell Street is beggar central, no beggars on the Motorway. Just the risk of death. :pac:

The concept is good, but the location isn't really suited to it, however you can't knock the council for at least trying something.

The urban garden outside pennies was a horrible spot to try to sit and eat. It will need really good screening from the traffic to make it anyway attractive.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Went down to Cork yesterday.

2 free hours car parking. No snags, no conditions. Cheers.

But Limerick has forks on poles. Cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

phog wrote: »
    I like the idea to give business owners the opportunity to open for business and increase their available space.

Personally, I dislike eating outdoors unless we have an exceptionally dry sunny day/evening.

i dont mind drinking outdoors but id prefer eating indoors, or as you said unless the weather is very good. id like to see bars/pubs take this up as well

• Registered Users Posts: 16,751 ✭✭✭✭banie01

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Went down to Cork yesterday.

2 free hours car parking. No snags, no conditions. Cheers.

But Limerick has forks on poles. Cool.

I was going to post regarding this.
    My Mrs was down there yesterday and same thing.
    2hrs free city centre parking, rates after 2 hrs also reduced.

A simple and effective way to draw people into the city centre.

As for Limerick's forks and parklets, it's nice to see some kind of effort.
    That said, Al fresco dining in the city centre isn't going to have me heading in.
    TBH, I'd rather drive to Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

Never had an issue getting parking at a multistorey unless its a Heineken cup day.

Always plenty of space on the upper levels because people don't seem to realise there's floors other than the first one.

But I do agree with your second point, prices are ridiculous. In Dundrum its 3 euro flat rate for the first 3 hours, sometimes free, to encourage people to stay longer and get a bite to eat.

• Advertisement

banie01 wrote: »
    I was going to post regarding this.
    My Mrs was down there yesterday and same thing.
    2hrs free city centre parking, rates after 2 hrs also reduced.

A simple and effective way to draw people into the city centre.

As for Limerick's forks and parklets, it's nice to see some kind of effort.
    That said, Al fresco dining in the city centre isn't going to have me heading in.
    TBH, I'd rather drive to Cork.

So 50c per 30 minutes is too much to couch up, but the petrol/deisel is not an issue? Why not just get to your real point

Advertisement