Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

Fairly certain the "marked increase" is people easing out of lockdown. No idea where the Leader gets its figures at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Fairly certain the "marked increase" is people easing out of lockdown. No idea where the Leader gets its figures at times.

Hard to argue with their exacting approach. Headline seems backed up by cold hard facts:

“The traders noticed a marked increase in business last Saturday and we believe that the free Saturday parking on the streets introduced by Limerick City and County Council contributed hugely to the volume of people in town."

“I was on the till for four hours on Saturday morning and met many customers who came into the city centre because the parking was free."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Hard to argue with their exacting approach. Headline seems backed up by cold hard facts:

“The traders noticed a marked increase in business last Saturday and we believe that the free Saturday parking on the streets introduced by Limerick City and County Council contributed hugely to the volume of people in town."

“I was on the till for four hours on Saturday morning and met many customers who came into the city centre because the parking was free."

The Leader has an agenda itself or is pushing an angle for its advertisers.

I find that headline hard to believe as people park wherever they want every day of the week anyway. If someone wasn't willing to pay a fairly nominal amount an hour to park in town, are they suddenly going to flock to the place when it's free?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭timesnewroman

“Cold hard facts”? Brilliantly Trumpian I thought. All I can see is a bit of hearsay from a business owner, who, if I’m not mistaken was not in favour of the councils recent proposals for Catherine St. Saturday was a nice day and that’s always going to draw people into town and the proximity of Gleesons shop to the People’s Park on a nice day can’t hurt either. Of course, if the Leader bothered to speak with other retailers/shoppers around the city centre the article would have more credibility and we’d have a better gauge of the impact of free parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tommy249

Martin Kiely posting on twitter tonight that a €40mm events centre is to be built at Thomond Park. Announcement due tomorrow. No other details yet. Limerick.ie twitter page also teasing an imminent announcement

Edit - limerick leader now running with it

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/558334/exclusive-a-massive40m-development-planned-for-limerick-s-thomond-park.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

tommy249 wrote: »
    Martin Kiely posting on twitter tonight that a €40mm events centre is to be built at Thomond Park. Announcement due tomorrow. No other details yet. Limerick.ie twitter page also teasing an imminent announcement

Edit - limerick leader now running with it

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/558334/exclusive-a-massive40m-development-planned-for-limerick-s-thomond-park.html

I'm highly sceptical. A €40m hotel and events center in Kileely? With Munster and the IRFU having to come up with €30 of it at a time when Munster still run at a €500k loss every year and still owe millions on the stadum. And the IRFU are cutting salaries and praying that more matches don't get postponed.

Now it would be amazing if it happened, but I reckon this is another project that will be launched with huge fanfare never to be heard of again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭geotrig

its probably going on the same site as the lidl ,aldi and forever coming northside swimming pool :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The old Dublin road becomes outbound only from the 16th July (from the paint shop down to Travelodge) - Flashing LED sign on the Dublin road advising of it.

The Mill road has funding to widen the roadscape(but not the road). They have funding to purchase land from the diocese essentially getting a footpath from Scoil Ide as far as the side entrance to St Munchins and mysteriously another set on traffic lights somewhere on the Mill road. The Limeick leader reported on it, arseways of course, saying the road is being widened but the article says the contrary.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/557774/limerick-council-bids-to-widen-well-known-corbally-bottleneck.html

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

Look at Corks Event Centre and the money issues there and you will see 40 million euro is most definitely not enough

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Berty wrote: »
    The old Dublin road becomes outbound only from the 16th July (from the paint shop down to Travelodge) - Flashing LED sign on the Dublin road advising of it.

The Mill road has funding to widen the roadscape(but not the road). They have funding to purchase land from the diocese essentially getting a footpath from Scoil Ide as far as the side entrance to St Munchins and mysteriously another set on traffic lights somewhere on the Mill road. The Limeick leader reported on it, arseways of course, saying the road is being widened but the article says the contrary.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/557774/limerick-council-bids-to-widen-well-known-corbally-bottleneck.html

From a Rhebogue resident's POV I think they'd prefer if it was in other direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭scrubs33

I'm highly sceptical. A €40m hotel and events center in Kileely? With Munster and the IRFU having to come up with €30 of it at a time when Munster still run at a €500k loss every year and still owe millions on the stadum. And the IRFU are cutting salaries and praying that more matches don't get postponed.

Now it would be amazing if it happened, but I reckon this is another project that will be launched with huge fanfare never to be heard of again.

Unless there’s plans for a Monorail included its not worth reading

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Is there any link to information about this? I live on that road and know nothing about how it's going to work.

iguana wrote: »
    Is there any link to information about this? I live on that road and know nothing about how it's going to work.

This is the only info available.

Old Dublin Road (L5174) Map
    Prohibition of vehicular access westbound on L5174 from a point 35m NW of its junction with the R445 Dublin road.

Via Dublin Road (R445)
    From Thursday 16th July to Friday 28th August
    24 Hour Vehicle Entry Prohibition

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

It's an absolutely ridiculous change, I don't know what the hell it's supposed to achieve. I can get that the righthand turn from the Dublin Road towards Aldi may be dangerous, I've witnessed dangerous turns made there, including an accident that was 100% the fault of the driver turning right. But what the hell is the issue with people coming from Aldi turning up Groody Hill, which is the name of the road, not Old Dublin Rd, (Old Dublin Rd is in Lisnagry). Now anyone coming from Aldi has to go onto the Dublin Rd, turn left, go around Groody roundabout, back up the Dublin Rd and around the Parkway Roundabout. Adding traffic to two roundabouts that are often badly congested.

It's ridiculous that people who live on a section of road where the rules are changed haven't been notified. And beyond stupid that they are using a descriptor of the road that not everyone will remember, in lieu of it's actual name.

It surely is to avoid the rat run through Rhebogue to make sure people stay inbound on the Dublin road instead. If you can't go up the hill then you have to go around the Parkway roundabout and if you've to do that you may as well keep going. I'm sure that is the reasoning behind it.

So the left inbound lane on the Shannon bridge is officially gone. Now a contra flow cycle lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭TPMP

On my way to work this morning I noticed a sign on the Condell Road saying from July 16th there will be no left turn on to the quays from the Shannon Bridge roundabout. Anyone know more on this? How long will it be in place? Will the opposite direction be open?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

All those changes are temporary, they last until sometime in August. It's allow more space for pedestrians and cyclists during the Covid Restrictions especially with reduced numbers that can use public transport. Some are also to allow eateries use public space for diners.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

TPMP wrote: »
    On my way to work this morning I noticed a sign on the Condell Road saying from July 16th there will be no left turn on to the quays from the Shannon Bridge roundabout. Anyone know more on this? How long will it be in place? Will the opposite direction be open?

Surely you can use Henry st as an alternative

So the left inbound lane on the Shannon bridge is officially gone. Now a contra flow cycle lane.

I hope the a least put temp bollards between the cycle lanes and the traffic lane.

It's in place until August 30th and the opposite direction is to stay open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Tefral

Id say thats a road closure based on the erection of a crane for the bishops quay job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Access to O’Callaghan Strand is also to be closed off from the 3 possibilities at the hotel.

Tefral wrote: »
    Id say thats a road closure based on the erection of a crane for the bishops quay job.

No. Its a 2 way cycle lane as outlined in the "Guiding Limerick through Covid-19" doc available on Limerick.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Went through it this evening. What a mess.
    Will really affect inbound traffic in the mornings.

The contraflow cycle lane arrangement is bizzare and pointless.

colm_mcm wrote: »

Far from pointless to all pedestrians and cyclists using that bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Pointless to have contraflow over a conventional cycle lane.

21101308-9987-499-F-94-B3-AB743369488-D.jpg

I’d imagine they went this way because they didn’t want to realign the island near the roundabout to accommodate the new cycle lane outbound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Was thinking that myself passing it this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,073 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Pointless to have contraflow over a conventional cycle lane.

21101308-9987-499-F-94-B3-AB743369488-D.jpg

I’d imagine they went this way because they didn’t want to realign the island near the roundabout to accommodate the new cycle lane outbound.

Does anyone know why 2 lane cycleways like this are always backwards in Limerick? any other city I've cycled in cycle traffic passes on the right the same as with cars

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Possibly because some dimmer Councillors spotted something similar while on a junket in Europe and failed to notice that they drive on the right.....(or maybe its so the Cyclist can see his end nearing)

• Advertisement

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Does anyone know why 2 lane cycleways like this are always backwards in Limerick? any other city I've cycled in cycle traffic passes on the right the same as with cars

Yeah, especially when the lanes come to an abrupt stop at the traffic lights and after the that there are two normal cycle lanes either side of the Condell Road. How is a cyclist coming from the Dock Road side supposed to continue out the Condell Road?

Advertisement