Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Possibly because some dimmer Councillors spotted something similar while on a junket in Europe and failed to notice that they drive on the right.....(or maybe its so the Cyclist can see his end nearing)

Engineers, not councillors design the layouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,072 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Possibly because some dimmer Councillors spotted something similar while on a junket in Europe and failed to notice that they drive on the right.....(or maybe its so the Cyclist can see his end nearing)

Between this and the useless on path cycle lanes that seesaw up and down driveways, are full of pedestrians and end without warning into traffic lights its hard to find a cycle lane thats good in Limerick. Condell road and by UL are about it

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭TPMP

Mc Love wrote: »
    Surely you can use Henry st as an alternative

Can I though? I passed it on the way home and the inbound lane had a right turn only on it. I presume that'll be adjusted so that you can go straight on too. At least it's only temporary. I have to say it looks awful and the benefits it'll bring are minimal compared to the inevitable gridlock it'll cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Yeah, especially when the lanes come to an abrupt stop at the traffic lights and after the that there are two normal cycle lanes either side of the Condell Road. How is a cyclist coming from the Dock Road side supposed to continue out the Condell Road?

Dismount at the lights, turn left up shelbourne road for 10 yards, cross using the green man and cross the condell road to the far side to continue on your way. Pressure is on the local authority to do something in a number of weeks that would normally be done over 12 months.

The closure on the old dublin road is councillor led. Nobody in the local authority is agreeing with this but like everything the elected members want their own bit. Shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Engineers, not councillors design the layouts.
    So you are saying that the professionals are attempting to force cyclists to head towards each other in an alien manner???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭manna452121

Things are not going to change because we have cycle lanes.I attemped to walk over Thomond Bridge today and was met by 2 cyclists on the footpath,who do you think had to go onto the road? The Condell road has 3 cycle lanes and a bus lane which is only used by taxis.The other change not mentioned is the closure of O'callaghan strand from one end at Sarsfield bridge,is the boardwalk not big enough for all ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

The other change not mentioned is the closure of O'callaghan strand from one end at Sarsfield bridge,is the boardwalk not big enough for all ?

*ahem*
    Access to O’Callaghan Strand is also to be closed off from the 3 possibilities at the hotel.

P.S. the boardwalk is on the other side of the river.

So you are saying that the professionals are attempting to force cyclists to head towards each other in an alien manner???

Yes. Councillors have absolutely nothing to do with it. The vote on stuff, they're not responsible for making it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Access to O’Callaghan Strand is also to be closed off from the 3 possibilities at the hotel.

I'm confused - What does the 3 possibilities mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,072 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

pajoguy wrote: »
    Dismount at the lights, turn left up shelbourne road for 10 yards, cross using the green man and cross the condell road to the far side to continue on your way. Pressure is on the local authority to do something in a number of weeks that would normally be done over 12 months.

The closure on the old dublin road is councillor led. Nobody in the local authority is agreeing with this but like everything the elected members want their own bit. Shambles.

Ide be doing 25/30kph on the bridge and if I have a green light in front of me I still have to stop dismount wait for 2 green men and then start up again.

Ya its not the end of the world but it is something replicated in other areas like at the parkway and Coonagh Cross soif council policy is a dismount at every set of traffic lights which is how they seem to be going then Im probably gonna give up using the lanes or give up the bike

• Advertisement

You can't enter from Sarsfield Bridge, the Ennis Rd or Clancy Strand.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Ide be doing 25/30kph on the bridge and if I have a green light in front of me I still have to stop dismount wait for 2 green men and then start up again.

Ya its not the end of the world but it is something replicated in other areas like at the parkway and Coonagh Cross soif council policy is a dismount at every set of traffic lights which is how they seem to be going then Im probably gonna give up using the lanes or give up the bike

25kmh is the current advisory speed limit on the bridge. If you are going at that speed just stay in the left hand motor lane and carry on straight out the condell road.

Ennis Road, Sarsfield Bridge or Clancy Strand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭geotrig

I presume residents can drive it ?

This thread should be called the Limerick improvement /disimprovement thread !:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭manna452121

*ahem*

P.S. the boardwalk is on the other side of the river.

Maybe i should have said the "walk way" from the boat club to Sarsfield Bridge which is very wide.

25kmh is the current advisory speed limit on the bridge. If you are going at that speed just stay in the left hand motor lane and carry on straight out the condell road.

Nobody is taking any notice of the advisory limit because its not a legal speed limit. Cars will continue to cross the bridge at the legal limit of 50kmph (and above that).

geotrig wrote: »
    I presume residents can drive it ?

This thread should be called the Limerick improvement /disimprovement thread !:eek:

No, they have to approach from the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭geotrig

No, they have to approach from the other side.

so its basically becoming one way now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

I drove over Shannon Bridge last night, someone was using the outbound lane to cycle into town and then later someone uses the pavement (opposite the cycle lanes) to cycle out of town

phog wrote: »
    I drove over Shannon Bridge last night, someone was using the outbound lane to cycle into town and then later someone uses the pavement (opposite the cycle lanes) to cycle out of town

Yeah it's really poorly thought out. Someone cycling from the Dock Rd and heading out the Condell Rd is just going to cycle along the outbound traffic lane or on the footpath rather than going around the roundabout to use a cycle lane that will then require them to dismount and use two pedestrian crossing to get back on the Condell Rd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

phog wrote: »

The lane markings make sense on paper but make less sense in a pratical setting.

People won't expect to have to cycle on the right hand side, human nature(and being a left hand driving country) means that it doesn't look like it should make sense.

Do people read signs and road markings? Not particularly.

Saw a cyclist shout and roar at a driver the other day on the Parkway roundabout because he cycled at speed across a pedestrian crossing causing everybody to slam on the brakes shouting "This is a cycle lane". Clearly he's not a pedestrian and the road markings and signs contradict him.

Somebody said all it this is Temporary and I haven't seen the road today. Unless the put up those bendy temporary bollards things then I forsee people driving in those cycle lanes because the road markings are still there as well(arrows)

The bollards were being installed yesterday evening as I crossed the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Berty wrote: »
    It surely is to avoid the rat run through Rhebogue to make sure people stay inbound on the Dublin road instead. If you can't go up the hill then you have to go around the Parkway roundabout and if you've to do that you may as well keep going. I'm sure that is the reasoning behind it.

Hardly. In heavy traffic getting from the Parkway roundabout to Park Rd take a ridiculous amount of time that you'd save by turning into Rhebogue from the roundabout. People discouraged from doing that will be utterly minimal. I'm not sure how making the journey home from Aldi take up to half an hour longer at busy times, increasing traffic on two busy roundabouts, makes life better for the people living on Rhebogue Rd for almost no reduction in traffic to Corbally. As someone living on Groody Hill, the only short section of road that will see a definite reduction in Corbally/Rhebogue bound traffic (and a possible increase in traffic to Aldi). The "benefit" will not outweigh the utter pain in the arße of having to bring my shopping on a pointless trip around two roundabouts for no sensible reason whatsoever. I imagine the bottom of Groody Hill will end up full of Rhebogue residents parked cars, when they shop in Aldi, so they can drive directly home.

What the actual fück people taking a quicker route home to Rhebogue and Corbally, on a road with existing excellent, pavement level (though stupidly contra-flow) cycle lanes, has to do with Covid 19 is utterly fücking mystifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Nobody is taking any notice of the advisory limit because its not a legal speed limit. Cars will continue to cross the bridge at the legal limit of 50kmph (and above that).

The fact that people do regularly drive over the speed limit all over the city is why such improvements in infrastructure to protect vulnerable road users are needed.

The benefit of the new cycle lanes will be to younger children and their parents, elderly cyclists, people new to cycling and to pedestrians and runners using the bridge who will now have more space and a less hostile environment.

I suspect that some people on bikes, particularly sports cyclists, will still end up on the normal outbound lane if they intend to continue out Condell road as a result of the design. And that is perfectly fine. Its a short stretch of bridge.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I suspect that some people on bikes, particularly sports cyclists, will still end up on the normal outbound lane if they intend to continue out Condell road as a result of the design. And that is perfectly fine. Its a short stretch of bridge.

That's my plan, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The fact that people do regularly drive over the speed limit all over the city is why such improvements in infrastructure to protect vulnerable road users are needed.

The benefit of the new cycle lanes will be to younger children and their parents, elderly cyclists, people new to cycling and to pedestrians and runners using the bridge who will now have more space and a less hostile environment.

It’s not perfectly fine though. It’s more dangerous for cyclists than it was last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It’s not perfectly fine though. It’s more dangerous for cyclists than it was last week.

Why is it more dangerous?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Treepole wrote: »
    Why is it more dangerous?

Because in order to use the new lane, bikes have to cross the road and risk cycling through junctions in the wrong direction if they can’t follow the counterintuitive system. Limerick drivers are shockingly bad at obeying traffic lights and there is a risk to the cyclist when crossing that wasn’t there before.
    For a cyclist to cycle outbound and choose to stay on the left hand side of the bridge, there is now going to be heavier car traffic in the now single inbound lane - this will make being overtaken riskier than before for the cyclist (through no fault of their own)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Because in order to use the new lane, bikes have to cross the road and risk cycling through junctions in the wrong direction if they can’t follow the counterintuitive system. Limerick drivers are shockingly bad at obeying traffic lights and there is a risk to the cyclist when crossing that wasn’t there before.
    For a cyclist to cycle outbound and choose to stay on the left hand side of the bridge, there is now going to be heavier car traffic in the now single inbound lane - this will make being overtaken riskier than before for the cyclist (through no fault of their own)

Came from Coonagh this afternoon and a Limerick Co Co van was in the wrong lane at the lights and still bullied its way in at the cycle lanes, if they cant get it right what hope about the rest of the drivers?

• Advertisement

mrsoundie wrote: »
    Came from Coonagh this afternoon and a Limerick Co Co van was in the wrong lane at the lights and still bullied its way in at the cycle lanes, if they cant get it right what hope about the rest of the drivers?

Did you check to see if they were stopping to do some work on the bridge? That seems a more likely explanation than them driving on a clearly segregated cycle lane.

Advertisement