Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Did you check to see if they were stopping to do some work on the bridge? That seems a more likely explanation than them driving on a clearly segregated cycle lane.

you can't drive on the cycle lane - between bollards and small rounded dividers on the road, a car can't get in the lane. Actually, it looked fairly tight for a cyclist to go from the Condell Road into the cycle lane between the bollards and potentially a cyclist coming against you.

I drove over the bridge twice today outbound from town - each time a cyclist was in the "car" lane. I'd say thats what they will continue to do if they are a confident cyclist

• Registered Users Posts: 26,072 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

you can't drive on the cycle lane - between bollards and small rounded dividers on the road, a car can't get in the lane. Actually, it looked fairly tight for a cyclist to go from the Condell Road into the cycle lane between the bollards and potentially a cyclist coming against you.

I drove over the bridge twice today outbound from town - each time a cyclist was in the lane. I'd say thats what they will continue to do if they are a confident cyclist

Theres a bollard at the end of the lane so any bike coming off the bridge is fine and can go straight through but coming from the Condell rd. you have to either enter into oncoming bike traffic or swerve into the car lane and slip in round the outside of the bollard.

From the bridge side the new lane is fine if your heading for the Shelbourne road but not the Condell and theres still the problem of bikes having to cross over each other on the roundabout

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭TPMP

Drove home this evening on my usual route along Bishops Quay and out Shannon bridge. They have made a complete mess of Bishops Quay with all the bollards up. What exactly was the purpose of it? My understanding it was for social distancing pedestrians. There was nobody in the lane, needless to say. I also found it much harder to enter the roundabout as a result of increased traffic having to go all around it from Dock Road to Lower Mallow St.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Did you check to see if they were stopping to do some work on the bridge? That seems a more likely explanation than them driving on a clearly segregated cycle lane.

No, they were gone like the clappers up Lower Mallow Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

She is even on the wrong side and hasn't coped it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Why didnt they just make a cycle lane on both sides of the bridge? Would make far more sense than trying to figure out how to get from Dock Road or Mallow St to Condell rd ? People almost always have difficulties entering and exiting contra flow lanes invariably

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭source

Why didnt they just make a cycle lane on both sides of the bridge? Would make far more sense than trying to figure out how to get from Dock Road or Mallow St to Condell rd ? People almost always have difficulties entering and exiting contra flow lanes invariably

In a permanent cycle lane that would make sense, but this is supposed to be part of the temporary Covid 19 mobility plan. To put this in place they had to burn off a few arrows and paint a few bicycles. To do what you suggest would require the burning off of all the paint on the bridge's road surface and full repainting, it would also mean double the amount of orcas and wands would be required. Which isn't sensible for what has been described as a temporary measure.

I thought they wanted to keep people out of A&E during Covid :D

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭pajoguy

source wrote: »
    In a permanent cycle lane that would make sense, but this is supposed to be part of the temporary Covid 19 mobility plan. To put this in place they had to burn off a few arrows and paint a few bicycles. To do what you suggest would require the burning off of all the paint on the bridge's road surface and full repainting, it would also mean double the amount of orcas and wands would be required. Which isn't sensible for what has been described as a temporary measure.

As well as a complete realignment of the deflection island at the roundabout.... some things are not as simple as they seem.

• Advertisement

Had cyclists identified this bridge as being a barrier to them getting places during lockdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

phog wrote: »
    I drove over Shannon Bridge last night, someone was using the outbound lane to cycle into town and then later someone uses the pavement (opposite the cycle lanes) to cycle out of town

Every lane is a cycle lane. And cycle lanes/paths in themselves aren't mandatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭AnonZen

Frankie Daly has announced the Rhebogue One Way is now being removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

AnonZen wrote: »
    Frankie Daly has announced the Rhebogue One Way is now being removed.

Going by the posts he's investigating/looking into peoples gripes with the O'Callaghan strand and the bridge but Rhebogue would be an easier fix as you're simply just removing the bollards. A lot more work and expense has gone into the other locations meaning more of a pushback from the council on it no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭manna452121

Line painters on Shannon Bridge at 7 this morning repainting the cycle lanes,more money.

Rhegboue now back two way, drove down it a while ago. Yes, they'll have to burn off the road markings and find a use for the brand new poles that they installed(no entry signs) but thankfully that stupid one way is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Berty wrote: »
    Going by the posts he's investigating/looking into peoples gripes with the O'Callaghan strand and the bridge but Rhebogue would be an easier fix as you're simply just removing the bollards. A lot more work and expense has gone into the other locations meaning more of a pushback from the council on it no doubt.

He must be the least progressive councilor limerick has ever seen. His council meeting attendance is also piss poor which tells another story.
    I haven’t see Rhebogue so can’t comment- but this cycle lane(and I get that it has design issues) is a small step in the right direction for everyone.
    None of the bridges into limerick have had a safe method for cyclists to cross until now. That lane that was removed was a temporary install over 10 years ago- to be removed when the tunnel was up and running.
    Finally there is a safe route over the river the cyclists - remember every cyclist is one less car, the people likely to use it are going to live within 3k of the city typically, now not needing to be bringing cars into town- leaving space for those living further out to bring theirs in should they need to.
    Traffic is not the problem- traffic is a symptom of poor planning- this cycle lane is a step towards good planning- it will take time but will be beneficial to all, but it must be left in place and improved WRT connectivity for this to be realised.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

martyc5674 wrote: »
    I haven’t see Rhebogue so can’t comment- but this cycle lane(and I get that it has design issues) is a small step in the right direction for everyone.
    None of the bridges into limerick have had a safe method for cyclists to cross until now. That lane that was removed was a temporary install over 10 years ago- to be removed when the tunnel was up and running.
    Finally there is a safe route over the river the cyclists - remember every cyclist is one less car, the people likely to use it are going to live within 3k of the city typically, now not needing to be bringing cars into town- leaving space for those living further out to bring theirs in should they need to.

The Rhebogue "one way" was beyond stupidity. It made life harder for people living in the area by forcing us into busy traffic to go home, instead of being able to take the direct route. And there was absolutely no benefit at all as that road has an excellent cycle path.

I do enjoy the cyclepath on the bridge though. That said I'm just a pleasure user, so have no idea if it causes issues for regular commuters.

• Advertisement

LIDL Westbury(yeah yeah Co Clare etc) has been given the go ahead by ABP

If you head to the county council planning website and read the submissions you see the consultants for LIDL writing to the council about an Objection by a "Garveys Supervalu" which they checked out and noted that they are in Tralee and Dingle so said they don't know why they're objecting. Frankly Garveys is in many other places as well and surely they knew, and played stupid, about not putting two and two together about Garveys Supervalu Corbally :O

http://www.eplanning.ie/ClareCC/AppFileRefDetails/19376/0

Anyway, it will be an improvement to the area as part of it is money provided by Clare CoCo and Lidl to upgrade the junction.

iguana wrote: »
    The Rhebogue "one way" was beyond stupidity. It made life harder for people living in the area by forcing us into busy traffic to go home, instead of being able to take the direct route. And there was absolutely no benefit at all as that road has an excellent cycle path.

I do enjoy the cyclepath on the bridge though. That said I'm just a pleasure user, so have no idea if it causes issues for regular commuters.

If it's still in place by the time time the schools and college's go back it'll be carnage. Right now it's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

TPMP wrote: »
    If it's still in place by the time time the schools and college's go back it'll be carnage. Right now it's ok.

Traffic will go the easiest route possible, and will adjust accordingly. Removing the lane at bishops quay will make using the tunnel easier for a lot of traffic. Adding a cycle lane might encourage some people to cycle now that there is a route into town.

TPMP wrote: »

Carnage how. as in extra traffic backed up?

iguana wrote: »

Ive used it a few times now and outside from the entry points which are dangerous if there is a lot of bike traffic it is defiantly a nicer and safer journey

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Carnage how. as in extra traffic backed up?

Yes, extra traffic backed up. It's bad enough as it (during school months) on the Shannon bridge with two lanes, let alone one. Traffic on the Condell road and Salesians area is very heavy. With only one lane on the bridge for the traffic to pass through it would be gridlock.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Unless people use the tunnel?

Mc Love wrote: »

The tunnel is for traffic bypassing the city center. It is irrelevant for thousands of commuters who work in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Mc Love wrote:

Here we go again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

kilburn wrote: »
    Here we go again

Is there no light at the end of the.........ah **** it. Just put another traffic lane on the bridge.

Advertisement