Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

RFTs have gone out for engineering services to design and prepare for tender to build cycling lanes between Arthurs Quay Park and the Condel Rd, between Wickham St and Clare St., between UL and the National Technological Park and along Fr. Russell Rd.

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/171249/0/0?returnUrl=ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders&b=ETENDERS_SIMPLE
    https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/170906/0/0?returnUrl=ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders&b=ETENDERS_SIMPLE
    https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/170908/0/0?returnUrl=ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders&b=ETENDERS_SIMPLE

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

All that's missing then is a lane on the Childers Road between the Roxboro and Kilmallock roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

If there was a protected cycle lane on Childers road - I would use it

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Mc Love wrote: »
    If there was a protected cycle lane on Childers road - I would use it

That's what I mean. I've been using that route a lot this summer, and the hill up to Roxboro Roundabout is always a fun mixture of heavy vehicles, overgrown weeds behind the Galvone Industrial Estate, and random metal debris. I can deal with it (the road is wide, in fairness) but a maintained lane would make the trip infinitely less stressful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

Funding has been announced for initial investigations into extending the great southern Greenway as far as the city, and a new Greenway connecting UL with Scarriff along the Errina canal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

pigtown wrote: »
    Funding has been announced for initial investigations into extending the great southern Greenway as far as the city, and a new Greenway connecting UL with Scarriff along the Errina canal

I wonder what way they'll go after O'Briens Bridge. The Errina canal was part of the old Shannon navigation. Theres actually a tow path the whole way from Limerick to O Briens Bridge. Before the shannon scheme was built it carried on to Killaloe. Everything from Parteen weir to Killaloe is under water. From O briens Bridge you can cross onto the headrace canal and walk down as far as Ardclooney river. Then its only the main road from there to Killaloe and onto Scariff...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Think it's from the new side gate they will have at the park

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

I wonder what way they'll go after O'Briens Bridge. The Errina canal was part of the old Shannon navigation. Theres actually a tow path the whole way from Limerick to O Briens Bridge. Before the shannon scheme was built it carried on to Killaloe. Everything from Parteen weir to Killaloe is under water. From O briens Bridge you can cross onto the headrace canal and walk down as far as Ardclooney river. Then its only the main road from there to Killaloe and onto Scariff...

How much of this do you think you would be able to walk right now? Are the paths very over grown?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

How much of this do you think you would be able to walk right now? Are the paths very over grown?

Open to correction, as I haven't been on some of it in a while, but I think...

Limerick to lame Duck pub on Clare side of UL is
    OK.
    From there to Erina canal would need to walk on country lane from Gillogue to headrace canal through DeCourceys bridge.
    Along Headrace to Clonlara and then you would need to go the Erina canal down through the village. That then runs to O'Briens bridge.

From there you can walk to Parteen Weir along the old river route or along the headrace canal. But that leads to a dead end at the Weir.

So to get to Killaloe you would need to follow the east Clare way instead, which is using the main road for the most part.
    Or cross the bridge in O'Briens bridge and go to Birdhill and on to Ballina and Killaloe on the roads on the Tipperary side.

There may be other options, if anyone has any suggestions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

A2LUE42 wrote: »

OK.
    From there to Erina canal would need to walk on country lane from Gillogue to headrace canal through DeCourceys bridge.
    Along Headrace to Clonlara and then you would need to go the Erina canal down through the village. That then runs to O'Briens bridge.

From there you can walk to Parteen Weir along the old river route or along the headrace canal. But that leads to a dead end at the Weir.

So to get to Killaloe you would need to follow the east Clare way instead, which is using the main road for the most part.
    Or cross the bridge in O'Briens bridge and go to Birdhill and on to Ballina and Killaloe on the roads on the Tipperary side.

Thanks for the detailed reply! Sounds like there is a fair bit of it I could chance with the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Thanks for the detailed reply! Sounds like there is a fair bit of it I could chance with the kids.

There are also a number of loop walks from O'Briens Bridge, the clarewalks website is now gone, but it used to have maps for the kids on them for the walks.
    Depending on the kids ages, you have some interesting options.
    https://www.discoverireland.ie/clare/o-briensbridge-old-barge-loop

Another one worth exploring is the Millenium cross out in Ballina. About 1.5km each way, but a fantastic view out over the lake at the site of the crosses.
    https://discoverloughderg.ie/millennium-cross-walk/
    Millennium Cross, Laghtea, Portroe, Co Tipperary
    https://www.alltrails.com/trail/ireland/tipperary-county/millennium-cross

Paths are fairly overgrown now. They used to be well maintained but not anymore. My mother still walks it daily up to the Weir though.

A2LUE42 wrote: »

OK.

If you cross over into Montpelier you'd have to content with a piss poor and winding road to Birdhill. The road to ballina isn't much better. They are building the new Shannon crossing just before ballina and upgrading the road from Birdhill to ballina to they could incorporate a cycle path into it. With the bypass of Killaloe it'd take you to the kincora Hotel.
    There is the old railway alignment from Birdhill to ballina but that's mostly gone now and built over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

kilburn wrote: »
    Think it's from the new side gate they will have at the park

You are right, I took a look at the planning application 191252 and the layout plan shows it.

Interesting pedestrian pathway to the canal?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/564386/parking-ruled-out-at-planned-new-aldi-store-in-limerick.html

Not sure if discussed already but I can't see Aldi tolerating LCC ruling that parking be omitted from their new Roches Street development. It won't be viable for Aldi surely to operate a store with zero parking?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

ongarboy wrote: »
    https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/564386/parking-ruled-out-at-planned-new-aldi-store-in-limerick.html

Not sure if discussed already but I can't see Aldi tolerating LCC ruling that parking be omitted from their new Roches Street development. It won't be viable for Aldi surely to operate a store with zero parking?

They've stores in other cities and it works without parking there.

But I do understand Limerick people have a sense of entitlement when it comes to parking directly outside the store they want to go to.

ongarboy wrote: »

What do you mean tolerating? They're looking for planning permission and they have to abide by the planning regs and area plan. There is no need for parking at a city center store. Plus the proposal is horrible. I'm glad they're making them change it.

Aldi will redesign the proposal and come back again.

What do you mean tolerating? They're looking for planning permission and they have to abide by the planning regs and area plan. There is no need for parking at a city center store. Plus the proposal is horrible. I'm glad they're making them change it.

Aldi will redesign the proposal and come back again.

Lidl have also been told to redesign their proposed store on the Dock Road with less parking and a more mixed use development (add residential) and improve the facade.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

A campaign has started to install cycle lanes on both sides of Shannon Bridge rather than the half arsed effort they have at the moment.

Sign the petition here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭source

phog wrote: »
    A campaign has started to install cycle lanes on both sides of Shannon Bridge rather than the half arsed effort they have at the moment.

Sign the petition here

Isn't this a bit premature given that the current cycle lanes that were put in are a temporary measure, and they already have plans to introduce permanent cycle lanes on Shannon Bridge?

source wrote: »
    Isn't this a bit premature given that the current cycle lanes that were put in are a temporary measure, and they already have plans to introduce permanent cycle lanes on Shannon Bridge?

I'd say the odds of the council just leaving it as it is are pretty high, so if it's to remain it should be done properly. There isn't room for two cycle lanes and three traffic lanes though, so something has to give.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Sign the petition here

Well seeing as they want the third lane reinstated I doubt they give a **** about the cycle lanes and have that part thrown in to make the petition sound better. There's no room for segregated lanes on either side and three car lanes.

Campaign created by "The Silent Majority", AKA some clueless crank with too much time on their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Does anyone use the new lane that is there already?

The cyclist crew are like the animal rights bodies, small but very very vocal and woe-betide anyone who doesn't subscribe to their believes.

Treepole wrote: »
    Does anyone use the new lane that is there already?

The cyclist crew are like the animal rights bodies, small but very very vocal and woe-betide anyone who doesn't subscribe to their believes.

Plenty of people are using it, between cyclists, skooters, skaters, pedestrians and roller-bladers.

Believe it or not, "the cyclist crew" is not one generic hive-mind. Some are commuters heading to work. Some are training for sport. Some are teaching their children how to ride bikes. They have different beliefs and motivations.

I'd bet my car that the people behind the petition above have never cycled across the bridge since the new lane was put it.

I've only seen cyclists using it inbound and because of the stupid way its lined, cycling inbound in the outbound lane. It should be removed and done properly with a segregated lane on either side of the bridge.

Sign the petition here

It's a Trojan horse. The introduction makes it look like a pro-cycling campaign, but the rationale laid out in the body of the message is very clearly for the benefit of motorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I don't believe there is enough room for 2 cycles lanes and 3 vehicle lanes. I still remember the council having to widen the left hand most inbound lane because it was completely incorrectly lined compared to the two others. The outbound was so wide that a small car could overtake another small car without impacting on the inbound. If you squeeze the 3 lanes with cycles lanes on both sides then I don't see that it would work.

Thing somebody maybe needs a better measuring tape.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭pajoguy

The lanes will need to be adjusted everytime an oversized load comes across the bridge also... fun times

Advertisement