Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

phog wrote: »
    I never, ever said they didn't.

I'm pointing out that some people use it rather than criss-cross to the cylce lanes as they're a feck nuisance to entre/exit when cylcing outbound from the city

They are fine if you are coming from the city heading out bound- I can see why some people avoid them if coming from the dock road and intend continuing out the Condell road. But no ones saying they are ideal.
    Whatever way you look at it though, at least there is now a space to cycle where your somewhat safe.
    Removing them would be a step backwards.
    Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭adaminho

And I'll keep doing it, too! :P

From my point of view, it's a 600 metre stretch from the roundabout to the lights at the junction. I can cover it in less than 90 seconds. It only costs a few seconds to let a cyclist get across the bridge, and usually it's easy to over-take them when the road widens again.

It ain't the great inconvenience that people are making it out to be. Most people pick up speed and drive out the rest of the Condell Road at 60-70+ km/h after that so they make the time back anyway.
    How dare those cyclists obey the law over the bridge! Preventing all those motorists breaking all those limits on the Condell road. The cheek(tongue firmly inside)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

martyc5674 wrote: »
    They are fine if you are coming from the city heading out bound- I can see why some people avoid them if coming from the dock road and intend continuing out the Condell road. But no ones saying they are ideal.
    Whatever way you look at it though, at least there is now a space to cycle where your somewhat safe.
    Removing them would be a step backwards.
    Marty.

Not really. If coming down Mallow Street and heading over bridge, its no good to a cyclist either. So basically they only really work if ur coming or going to Harveys Quay so only 1/3 routes covered

Edit - angry face in error, cant seem to delete it

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Not really. If coming down Mallow Street and heading over bridge, its no good to a cyclist either. So basically they only really work if ur coming or going to Harveys Quay so only 1/3 routes covered

Having cycled that route I'd be inclined to agree with you.

If people are happy with a half arsed cycle lane then so be it, I'd prefer to force the council to go further.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Although I do think a cycle lane is needed at the moment on Shannon Bridge, I’m warming to the idea of the pedestrian/cycle bridge from Cleeves to Bishops Quay. Might be a better solution in the long run.

Would imagine most people using the lane are passing the proposed location of the proposed bridge anyway to get to Shannon Bridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Although I do think a cycle lane is needed at the moment on Shannon Bridge, I’m warming to the idea of the pedestrian/cycle bridge from Cleeves to Bishops Quay. Might be a better solution in the long run.

Would imagine most people using the lane are passing the proposed location of the proposed bridge anyway to get to Shannon Bridge.

agree that a pedestrian/cycle bridge should be considered and think it would be great for the schools in the area. however, for cyclists coming from the Condell Road area and wanting to go out the Dock Road (and vice versa) its an extra long route. Until they banned cyclists from the bridge completely, I would continue to cycle in the normal lanes as part of traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

Having cycled that route I'd be inclined to agree with you.

If people are happy with a half arsed cycle lane then so be it, I'd prefer to force the council to go further.

Depends how confident a cyclist you are. A lot of cyclists, particularly newer ones will stick to the lane, even if it means going an indirect route to get to/from it

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

In other news the powers that be finally put up bollards to prevent people turning right from old park road onto Corbally road this morning.

May make some happy and disappoint others.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

Berty wrote: »
    In other news the powers that be finally put up bollards to prevent people turning right from old park road onto Corbally road this morning.

Spotted the this earlier. I've been giving out about drivers turning right there for almost 20yrs 😂

Spotted the this earlier. I've been giving out about drivers turning right there for almost 20yrs ��

To be fair it's bugs me when I see people doing it because you know that they know they cannot do it. The other issue though was, until recently, google maps would tell you to take that turn.

I like seeing people getting caught out, where they go to make their move(rush hour) and the car in the lane closes the gap preventing them from crossing. :D

I think the reason the rule for no right came in, could be urban legend, is that an unmarked car was travelling into the city and a car turned(legally then) causing a nasty crash.

• Advertisement

Long overdue. Would imagine some issues when Scoil Ide & Munchins are back & people not knowing try to come out there but have to go down Corbally Rd and around the roundabout.

Another look at it earlier. They'll easily get around it on both sides and won't be long before a truck knocks them over anyway.

You'd want to be some twat to go around on the right but I wouldn't put it passed people.

School going traffic have no excuse. The signs and road markings for years tell you no right turn, the bollards are the only new addition. Let school drivers get put out having to drive down to turn, they never had an excuse before.

Another look at it earlier. They'll easily get around it on both sides and won't be long before a truck knocks them over anyway.

You'd want to be some twat to go around on the right but I wouldn't put it passed people.

School going traffic have no excuse. The signs and road markings for years tell you no right turn, the bollards are the only new addition. Let school drivers get put out having to drive down to turn, they never had an excuse before.

I was just coming here to say something similar. Passed it a while ago and it won’t be long before a truck takes it out. Or possibly a car trying to overtake a cyclist / go around other cars parked on the foot path.

It’s very easy access it if coming down mallow street- you just continue around the roundabout to the third exit and pop in. I’ve done it many times on my own and with kids without issue. But if you are coming down from Henry street/mallow street and find it tricky for whatever reason, then just continue onto Henry street for 50 meters and go behind the Garda station and that will bring you onto it avoiding the roundabout altogether, it’s much more pleasant- less cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Berty wrote:

You would get a bus around it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Jebus, they must have come across a job-lot of bollards lately :).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

martyc5674 wrote: »
    It’s very easy access it if coming down mallow street- you just continue around the roundabout to the third exit and pop in. I’ve done it many times on my own and with kids without issue. But if you are coming down from Henry street/mallow street and find it tricky for whatever reason, then just continue onto Henry street for 50 meters and go behind the Garda station and that will bring you onto it avoiding the roundabout altogether, it’s much more pleasant- less cars.

There are barriers to prevent you using the 3rd exit, you actually have to use the exit from the quays and cycle against oncoming traffic to get onto the cycle lane

There are barriers to prevent you using the 3rd exit, you actually have to use the exit from the quays and cycle against oncoming traffic to get onto the cycle lane

Pop in immediately before the third exit is what I meant, I did this first few times i used it and was able to slip in, now i go down henry street 50M and avoid the roundabout altogether.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

This is a better link to the list of projects on the council site. https://www.limerick.ie/council/newsroom/news/eu10m-grant-funding-awarded-limerick-city-and-county-council-national

And despite what the article says, there's not a nope all of this will be done in the next three months.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/wearecanteen/status/1296823752500686851?s=09

A lot better than O'Connell Street anyway.

Almost a MILLION EURO for "foothpath improvements" around Fr Russell Rd ???
    After spending probably at least the same to stick a Testicle-sized roundabout at Racefield (Russell's Bar).
    It must be great to spend other people's money on whatever you want....and get it wrong almost every time :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Almost a MILLION EURO for "foothpath improvements" around Fr Russell Rd ???
    After spending probably at least the same to stick a Testicle-sized roundabout at Racefield (Russell's Bar).
    It must be great to spend other people's money on whatever you want....and get it wrong almost every time :rolleyes:

They put the projects forward to the NTA and the NTA decided if they deserved the funding. It isn't the council on a solo run this time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

adaminho wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/wearecanteen/status/1296823752500686851?s=09

A lot better than O'Connell Street anyway.

Can you have a picnic there or food from.Spar

They put the projects forward to the NTA and the NTA decided if they deserved the funding. It isn't the council on a solo run this time.

The same NTA that allowed 8 people on a 50-seater bus since the lockdown began. Now allowing 50% capacity.
    Yet were totally happy to allow 5 complete strangers (including the Driver) sit in a Taxi all through lockdown without enforcing even something as obvious as a face-mask.

Yep. The NTA are always on the ball :rolleyes:.

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Why not ? It's on a public road/foothpath :).
    Similar to the "parklet" (sounds like a company renting parking spaces ffs) on O'Connell St it's not 'owned by the cafe/deli beside it.

No, but the furniture is. Try having a picnic outside the Locke or any restaurant that has outdoor seating.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

adaminho wrote: »
    No, but the furniture is. Try having a picnic outside the Locke or any restaurant that has outdoor seating.

This.

The council will allocate the space, but they won't be giving you nice tables and chairs.

Deleted the post after checking . It seems the City Council are simply waiving the 'outdoor' fees for seating for a while...and giving the Cafes, etc extra space for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

Does anybody have any information on a few projects that have been granted permission but haven't started construction? Just a few include

the extensions of the Strand and Savoy hotels,
    that derelict building beside the milk market,
    the former Clarion Suites on the Ennis road,
    the golf training centre at UL
    the redevelopment of Bannatyne mills in the docks

I'm sure there are others. Obviously Covid would have affected them but it would be interesting to know if they are going ahead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭OO7FITZY

Also are there any updates on the Castletroy Greenway https://mypoint.limerick.ie/ga/node/504/dashboard
    Hopefully will help alevviate the increased traffic congestion during the school months and the hundreds of new homes being built in Castletroy / Annacotty in the next few years

Advertisement