Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭gotasmoke

I drive across the bridge twice most days and since this thread I started to pay closer attention to the number of cyclists.

Every time I cross the bridge there has been at least one cyclist using the lanes, sometimes a lot more than one. So there is definitely volume to warrant a safer route for bike users.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭manna452121

Honans/Bishops Quay has been reopened for cars from the New bridge.Car traffic now have to be careful when turning left onto the quays for bikes and also people walking on the cycle lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

phog wrote: »
    He chickened out as he knew he was on a hiding to nothing with his false claim.

Chickened out me hole - i just couldnt be bothered as I know I'm right. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

gotasmoke wrote: »
    I drive across the bridge twice most days and since this thread I started to pay closer attention to the number of cyclists.

Every time I cross the bridge there has been at least one cyclist using the lanes, sometimes a lot more than one. So there is definitely volume to warrant a safer route for bike users.

One cyclist every now and then hardly warrants a cycle lane.

I didn't encounter a cyclist this morning on my walk over the bridge to and from town. The cycle to school group were chatting to RTE so they would be using it later on

Mc Love wrote: »
    Chickened out me hole - i just couldnt be bothered as I know I'm right. :cool:

"Know I'm right" :rolleyes: More like you knew you were wrong and didn't want to have to admit it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

So people don't want cyclists slowing down the traffic lanes, but they don't want them to have their own lanes either. Gotcha.

• Advertisement

So people don't want cyclists slowing down the traffic lanes, but they don't want them to have their own lanes either. Gotcha.

That's not what I said but you know that too :cool:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

That's not what I said but you know that too :cool:

Sorry, couldn't help myself! :D I'm one of those weirdos who loves driving and cycling and running, so it's hard to know which side to take sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Ah here running what's wrong with you....

I suppose you will want segregated running tracks next !

Cue all the anti runners next....

Sorry, couldn't help myself! :D I'm one of those weirdos who loves driving and cycling and running, so it's hard to know which side to take sometimes.

Well I'm a tad like you except walking instead of running, my knees can't take running.

FWIW, I'm in favour of a cycle lane crossing the river, ideally, I'd like an independent one but if the current lanes are to occupy the space that the currently have on the bridge then I'd prefer them to be moved to the correct sides of the road to allow safer access/exit.

I was shocked that so many people voted to keep the current system in place, it really isn't safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

I was shocked that so many people voted to keep the current system in place, it really isn't safe.

It wasnt the safety of the thing people voted for, it was to retain a cycle lane in the first place. By voting to keep it, the council are being shown that there's actually cyclists (and other road users) out there who need some form of cycling infrastructure.

If people voted against it, even if the vote was followed by a "change the location" caveat, do you actually think the council would see beyond the vote to remove it? They would have been like grand, cheers lads, anti cycle lane vote passed, no more cycle lanes for ye.

• Advertisement

I like the fact that the silent majority said there would be gridlock but this wasnt the case

https://twitter.com/sasanovak48/status/1300737404018585601?s=20

And this was at 8:45am

https://twitter.com/AnneCronin5/status/1300343539012980737?s=20

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Why aren't they wearing helmets and hi vis?Not a great example for the kids and also safety

bigpink wrote: »
    Why aren't they wearing helmets and hi vis?Not a great example for the kids and also safety

;) haha good one

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Mc Love wrote: »
    ;) haha good one

Just pointing out comments I've seen on social media and I have to agree.Surely a big group of organised cyclist's would have a leader at the front and back with hi vis especially with young kids

• Registered Users Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I didn't encounter a cyclist this morning on my walk over the bridge to and from town. The cycle to school group were chatting to RTE so they would be using it later on

"Know I'm right" :rolleyes: More like you knew you were wrong and didn't want to have to admit it.

If it takes people off the road and provides options that might encourage cycling over driving then yes it is warranted. Cycle lanes should be all over the city,and as common as car lanes, such a relatively small and essential piece of infrastructure should really not garner this much controversy it is simply the norm in most European urban areas, says a lot about the car dominant mindset that prevails in Ireland unfortunately. Will take a long time to adjust this mindset..the most irritating thing is despite the inevitable struggle such as in this scenario, almost everyone will adjust to and appreciate car friendly cities once they exist, but untilt hat point is actually reached, it just seems like endless hurdles . Why can't most people just appreciate how well pro bike infrastructure works in countless cities across the world, I just don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Creating a great narrative for their agenda look no gridlock oh let's ignore most people are still working from home

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

kilburn wrote: »
    Creating a great narrative for their agenda look no gridlock oh let's ignore most people are still working from home

People still working from home is a great reason to add more cycle lanes. Everyone agrees that adding cycle lanes will encourage more people to cycle. The only thing stopping the council in the past was a lack of will/funding and most of all fears of motorist backlash for losing road space.

Funding is no longer an issue and in the short to medium term there the lack of traffic will make it easy to add cycle lanes without affecting motorsists.

Traffic levels will eventually return to normal, but with working from home being more accepted. It could be 5 years before that happens. We can either accept that we live in a City with no ambition, or we can use the next few years try to modernise our transport infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭TPMP

This was at 8.20 this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I cannot believe traffic on the bridge is quiet at that time(going by the Twitter share)(EDIT, just saw TPMP image which looks like it would be expected inbound). The Dublin road and Corbally road are nearly back to pre covid levels around 8:45am and today was worse again as I guess more classes/years return to schools.

I know some Secondary have started bringing years back in stages and this morning traffic was back to the Westbury entrance and the Dublin road traffic began at around Jysk inbound. Most of the Shannon bridge traffic in the mornings is generally outbound because many want to turn right onto Shelbourne road.

Other than the missus being off for about 4 weeks(way back when) I've been commutting every day since late April when it was dead out there so slowly started seeing it increase over time until Monday just gone when it came back with a bang so my opinion is that the majority of commutting traffic appears to be a consequence of schools and not work. It's also possible that many travelling to schools would have gone to work but now are returning home for work as well so maybe traffic is acting differently as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

1-C0-A33-DC-3-D37-471-C-B0-BA-076-DF413-C5-D6.jpg

Can confirm that at 8:45 this morning the traffic was backed up as far as the Glenman construction site at Clonmacken.
    Had to turn back.

795-A20-EE-4807-44-A7-9-C27-EFFD979-C0809.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It's almost as if that left lane is not actually superfluous as some have suggested and is in fact a heavily used lane. Imagine that.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Can confirm that at 8:45 this morning the traffic was backed up as far as the Glenman construction site at Clonmacken.
    Had to turn back.

795-A20-EE-4807-44-A7-9-C27-EFFD979-C0809.jpg

Fake news

The first draft of the LSCMATs plan has been released by the NTA https://www.nationaltransport.ie/consultations/publication-of-the-draft-limerick-shannon-metropolitan-area-transport-strategy/

There's the obvious improvement in pedestrian and cycling facilities, Bus Connects for Limerick, which could include banning cars from Sarsfield Bridge and two way bus lanes on O'Connell St and park and ride facilities around the outskirts of the city, but most importantly, it recommends the building of the LNDR to facilitate these changes in the city.

From the document the LNDR is needed to support bus, cycling and pedestrian priority measures in the Metropolitan Area by accommodating private vehicle trips accessing residential areas and employment destinations in urban Limerick, UL and other services;
    ƒ Provide direct connectivity for the private car and public transport from Shannon and UL, the NTP and the SDZ;
    ƒ Provide for potential bespoke bus services from Galway and Shannon Town and International Airport to UL, SDZ and the NTP;
    ƒ Provide an additional access point for traffic and potential public transport from the M7 to UL and the NTP without the use of the Dublin Road and Plassey Park Road; and
    Provide multi-modal connectivity to cater for demand from Clare and Galway to UL and the NTP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

It's almost as if that left lane is not actually superfluous as some have suggested and is in fact a heavily used lane. Imagine that.

That left Lane is/was a sticky plaster for a bigger problem.
    It was not addressing the root of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

martyc5674 wrote: »

It did a good job of moving traffic to its destination in the city centre.

Dock Road is obviously a problem. Maybe they should turn that into a cycle lane too.

Well maybe when the problem is addressed then the lane can be removed. Putting the horse before the cart is not the answer.

Well maybe when the problem is addressed then the lane can be removed. Putting the horse before the cart is not the answer.

Disagree- they put the horse before the cart by not addressing the problem years ago.

We are in a situation now for environmental/health reasons that we must push forward with sustainable transport. A bigger problem than having to sit in traffic for a few extra minutes.
    And if that means rectifying issues that were ignored for years then so be it. Our environment and our health cannot be put on hold any longer.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It did a good job of moving traffic to its destination in the city centre.

Dock Road is obviously a problem. Maybe they should turn that into a cycle lane too.

The dock road is the problem, 2 out of 3 cars going over the bridge are going out the dock road.

Disagree- they put the horse before the cart by not addressing the problem years ago.

Eh, lads, I'm pretty sure the horse is supposed to go in front of the cart... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

It will be 2041 before the Limerick Tunnel will become part of the TII or Council ownership so it won't be a solution to the problem either. If cycle lanes and increased traffic continue to bottleneck then the Tunnel cannot be a solution unless you have an Electric car (50% discount) or Hybrid (25% discount) if you've a Tag.

If then we slowly move towards greener cars then I would see that the Toll Plazas will curtail those discounts because they cannot be loss making, when they make a loss the state has to cover the difference anyway. They could go the whole Irish rail approach, when the recession came in, they increased their fares to cover the losses they made because less people were travelling. They charged the customers they had left more. You might see then if more and more people with Greener cars use the Tunnel the operators might increase Tolls further(for non green cars/trucks) and moving them on the dock road/thru city as the alternative.

Advertisement