Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Built as a thoroughfare for cars?

The cars of the day, horse & traps. Bicycles didn’t exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,069 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The cars of the day, horse & traps. Bicycles didn’t exist.

Not cars though.

Not cars though.

Cars didn’t exist either. Are you proposing that we bring back horse & traps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭geotrig

i dont know if they ever left !!! the amount of times recently ive seen one on the roads going against the flow of traffic

Cars didn’t exist either. Are you proposing that we bring back horse & traps?

No Im proposing you stop saying O'Connell street was built for cars like you did earlier

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

No Im proposing you stop saying O'Connell street was built for cars like you did earlier
    It was built for the traffic of the day which was horse and carts. We've moved on and traffic has become cars/trucks/buses (and has been for over a century) It wasn't built for pedestrians and cyclists.

And DM definitely didn't say it was built for cars.

No I didn’t.

Someone else said it was built for vehicular traffic, you mis-took that to mean cars. Horse & traps are vehicles too.

It was built for the traffic of the day which was horse and carts. We've moved on and traffic has become cars/trucks/buses (and had been for over a century) It wasn't built for pedestrians and cyclists.

And DM definitely didn't say it was built for cars.

No he said it was intended for cars which it was not. Again look at the old pictures and you will see as many bikes as cars.

Also it was built as a high street for the shops primarily and if traffic can move on from one thing to another it can move on again.

edit: sorry DM I was replying to the wrong person in regards to the "intended" remark

• Registered Users Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

phog wrote: »
    I live about 6km from the city centre, 2 Km from one of the most populated areas in the city and we get a **** bus service but get all the moaning from anti car brigade.

Are you saying that only city residents should have a public transport service - see my previous post about one bus per hour our of St Mary's Park - another **** service.

You call it ****, but I've never met one person from the area that's called it **** and majority of my family and neighbors use it. Bus is rarely full except for when school kids use it at times. Maybe the people in Lynwood Park think it's ****, but pretty sure they've more than one bus that passes their area.

People will jump on the half nine bus into town, do what they need to do and come back out on the half ten bus. Some will wait an extra hour and hang around town doing whatever for the next bus or stroll out the road if the weather's alright.

Biggest complaint about the St Mary's Park bus is the fact it stops at 5.30pm. Other than that there's no need for more than one bus an hour, there isn't the demand for it compared to other estates that have a similar schedule but whose bus route travels past several housing estates, whereas the St Mary's Park is mainly for St Mary's Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

You call it ****, but I've never met one person from the area that's called it **** and majority of my family and neighbors use it. Bus is rarely full except for when school kids use it at times. Maybe the people in Lynwood Park think it's ****, but pretty sure they've more than one bus that passes their area.

People will jump on the half nine bus into town, do what they need to do and come back out on the half ten bus. Some will wait an extra hour and hang around town doing whatever for the next bus or stroll out the road if the weather's alright.

Biggest complaint about the St Mary's Park bus is the fact it stops at 5.30pm. Other than that there's no need for more than one bus an hour, there isn't the demand for it compared to other estates that have a similar schedule but whose bus route travels past several housing estates, whereas the St Mary's Park is mainly for St Mary's Park.

I'm not from St Mary's Park but a few people I know that depend on the bus service say it close to useless, driver leaves the stop whenever he feels like it so even the one bus may leave early or late then you're rightly screwed especially if you're depending on your bus to get you to another bus connection.

You even admit it stops at 5:30, what good is that if you finish work at 6?

You will never, ever get people to move from private cars to public transport with timetables like that and driver attitude that currently exists in BE

• Advertisement

I would imagine any able bodied person heading to town would be quicker walking unless you upped the bus to every 15mins which would be a pointless amount of bubes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I think we need a separate Limerick Transport thread at this stage! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

If St Mary's park had 3 buses a day that would be enough.morning afternoon and then a night one

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

geotrig wrote: »
    i dont know if they ever left !!! the amount of times recently ive seen one on the roads going against the flow of traffic

City of culture.

bigpink wrote: »
    If St Mary's park had 3 buses a day that would be enough.morning afternoon and then a night one

I've no idea what point you're trying to make but if you want people to move from private cars to public transport then there has to be more that 3 buses a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

colm_mcm wrote: »
    City of culture.

Is this not more correct - "City of Culture, Boss!"

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

I've no idea what point you're trying to make but if you want people to move from private cars to public transport then there has to be more that 3 buses a day.

But there won't be more buses unless the existing service is being utilised. If people are foregoing the bus service already available to them and they're half empty when they are running, then why should BE put on more buses? If people aren't using them to go into town, why should BE put on more services to bring them back?

BEs mentality and driver attitude is the same country wide (I spent 6 years spending up to 4 hours a day on the 133 plus the wait time for the buses). Its not limited to St Marys Park so blaming the drivers for people not using the service is not going to bring in more buses.

But there won't be more buses unless the existing service is being utilised. If people are foregoing the bus service already available to them and they're half empty when they are running, then why should BE put on more buses? If people aren't using them to go into town, why should BE put on more services to bring them back?

BEs mentality and driver attitude is the same country wide (I spent 6 years spending up to 4 hours a day on the 133 plus the wait time for the buses). Its not limited to St Marys Park so blaming the drivers for people not using the service is not going to bring in more buses.

Bus Eireann (and Irish Rail) are notorious for running timetables that suit them rather than the general public. If the timing of a service doesn't suit commuters, then they won't use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭source

Bus Eireann (and Irish Rail) are notorious for running timetables that suit them rather than the general public. If the timing of a service doesn't suit commuters, then they won't use it.

100% this, you only have to look at the Limerick to Ballybrophy line to see that. First train gets into Limerick at 08:55 and the last train leaves Limerick just after 5. Complete stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Nenagh line is the perfect example for that.

Run the train 15 minutes earlier and you get more City workers and students to use it

Leaving Limerick on return at 4:55 is useless also

• Advertisement

And the vicious cycle continues.

BE are after profit, which is understandable, so they won't put on additional services unless the bottom line swings in their favour. Which means services need to be overflowing for them to consider putting on additional buses. It took 15 years for them to *slightly* improve my hometowns service to Dublin, and that was with 15 years of rush hour buses being consistently full, hoards of people left stranded as the general So-Co-Du populous expanded into half of Wicklow. We had no Dart, no Dublin Bus, the hourly BE service was how everyone (just about) survived.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Same argument is being used for cycle lanes all the time "Oh they are not being used so why on earth should we deliver more"
    If the quality of service BE delivered suited the needs of the people it serves, then there would be an uptake in usage.

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Same argument is being used for cycle lanes all the time "Oh they are not being used so why on earth should we deliver more"
    If the quality of service BE delivered suited the needs of the people it serves, then there would be an uptake in usage.

I agree with your comparison, but taking the currently debated cycle lane over the bridge - its being utilised because it is there and people want it to be better by showing the powers that be that the numbers are there. It is not perfect by any means as we are well aware of, but people are going out of their way (literally and figuratively speaking) to use it when they can to try improve cycling infrastructure and get the lane eventually moved to a better location.

There are hourly bus services all over Limerick City area (albeit finishing very early) that people are refusing to use because it doesn't suit/serve them, but still want BE to give them better services.

I get quite a few people cant use these for work if it stops before they finish (and this is completely understandable and frustrating to those who want to use it) but how many people would still take their car for other journeys when the bus service could be utilised?

From what I've seen over the last 2 years in Limerick, people complain about not being able to use the bus services for work during the week, but also refuse to use the bus when they can on weekends/days off.

Boycotting buses doesn't work and in many cases results in the service being reduced even further or removed completely.

Why would anyone take a 7.00 am bus into town if they only need to be at work for 8. But the 8 am bus doesn't suit them as it arrives too late.

Most people aren't prepared to hang around town before or after work just to use public transport.

Why would anyone take a 7.00 am bus into town if they only need to be at work for 8. But the 8 am bus doesn't suit them as it arrives too late.

Most people aren't prepared to hang around town before or after work just to use public transport.

I used to get a 6:30am bus for a 9am start when I worked in Dublin.

If you're getting public transport it won't be perfect, hanging around for a little while is part and parcel of using it.

I used to get a 6:30am bus for a 9am start when I worked in Dublin.

Why? Was it the length of time on the bus or a poor timetable?
    If you're getting public transport it won't be perfect, hanging around for a little while is part and parcel of using i

little while? I reckon the St Mary's Park example you'd be hanging around for 40 min before work. I certainly wouldn't do.

There are hourly bus services all over Limerick City area (albeit finishing very early) that people are refusing to use because it doesn't suit/serve them, but still want BE to give them better services.
    So you agree that they're unused because they're not suitable, but you don't think that BE should change their services to make them more suitable?
    I get quite a few people cant use these for work if it stops before they finish (and this is completely understandable and frustrating to those who want to use it) but how many people would still take their car for other journeys when the bus service could be utilised?
    Maybe if BE tweaked the timetables to we might get the answer to that.
    Boycotting buses doesn't work and in many cases results in the service being reduced even further or removed completely.
    Not using buses that don't suit your needs is not even close to boycotting. That's a bizarre word to use.

So you agree that they're unused because they're not suitable, but you don't think that BE should change their services to make them more suitable?

Maybe if BE tweaked the timetables to we might get the answer to that.

Not using buses that don't suit your needs is not even close to boycotting. That's a bizarre word to use.

I agree that many out there cant use the buses for work, and never said otherwise, but theres still many out there who only use their car for journeys where they could be using the bus for, and yet still demand BE add in services every 10 minutes, to routes they don't use, so they don't have to wait too long if they did, potentially, ever get the bus.

The issue is we'd be tweaking the timetables for years and it still wouldn't be enough for some, hence the use of the term boycott. There are services in some areas running every hour, sometimes every 30 mins, yet people refuse to use them because god forbid they might have to spend 15 mins waiting on the next bus.

Sorry to hark back to the cycle lane analogy, but if everyone stopped using it because the exits are a nightmare and its only on one bridge across the river, the council wouldn't be sitting down in a crisis meeting asking how can we improve cycle lanes, it would be dug up the following morning. The same is happening in BE, numbers on some Limerick routes are extremely low, so the public are telling them that they aren't using the bus, BE arent scratching their heads asking how do we improve a service thats half full at the best of times, they'd be looking to cull services to fill up later or earlier ones.

Why? Was it the length of time on the bus or a poor timetable?

little while? I reckon the St Mary's Park example you'd be hanging around for 40 min before work. I certainly wouldn't do.

Hourly service, 30 mins at rush hours. 6:30am bus scheduled to get onto Dawson Street before 8am but would regularly only reach Stephens Green at 8:30am. The 7am on the timetable got into Dublin at 8:15am but would still be on the M11 in gridlock at the county border at that time most mornings.

I used to spent at least one day a week waiting on buses that never turned up, so almost 2 hours in all sort of weather. 40 minutes waiting on the bus would have been normal for me and the thousands of other getting the same bus each week.

And people wonder why I left Dublin...

Edit: phog didn't you just say a few posts back you're not from the St Marys area?

• Advertisement

Edit: phog didn't you just say a few posts back you're not from the St Marys area?

Yes I did but can I not use it as an example or do you want to mute me on this topic too just like you tried on a previous occasion on here?

Advertisement