Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,069 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

phog wrote: »
    More than a slight exaggeration there

Ya true a quarter of the way down on the city side maybe. Depends on whether you count it from the traffic lights or the actual bridge I suppose.

Either was doesn't make it less dangerous to have bikes going head on into each other does it. The whole design has been a shambles from day 1

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭TPMP

Will this change be reviewed again, or are we stuck with this mess regardless of how unsuccessful it is?

TPMP wrote: »
    Will this change be reviewed again, or are we stuck with this mess regardless of how unsuccessful it is?

Hopefully it keeps getting changed till we end up with a lane on each side like the Condell road instead of this dangerous mess we have

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Ya true a quarter of the way down on the city side maybe. Depends on whether you count it from the traffic lights or the actual bridge I suppose.

Unless they removed more of the cycle lane sine yesterday morning then it's probably closer to an 8th of the length of the bridge, the reduction only starts near the pedestrian crossing.
    Either was doesn't make it less dangerous to have bikes going head on into each other does it. The whole design has been a shambles from day 1

I agree 100% on both counts

Here's the reasoning for the reduction of the cycle lanes

EjuHA6SXYAA8_ri?format=jpg&name=large

phog wrote: »
    Unless they removed more of the cycle lane sine yesterday morning then it's probably closer to an 8th of the length of the bridge, the reduction only starts near the pedestrian crossing.

I agree 100% on both counts

Here's the reasoning for the reduction of the cycle lanes

EjuHA6SXYAA8_ri?format=jpg&name=large

The letter straight up lies by saying the 2 lanes are retained. The bollards are set up so that the only options are to go into the oncoming bikes then onto the road.

Glad they are still looking at it atleast. Just wondering from a drivers point of view how does it look when bikes come around the roundabout and then have to take a very sharp left to get on to the cycle lane cause I find it very awkward on a bike and almost have to stop on the roundabout

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Work on the Opera site was due to have commenced in September. Anyone know when the site actually opens and workmen move in.... even one workman with a high viz jacket... to signify that work has commenced.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Glenomra wrote: »
    Work on the Opera site was due to have commenced in September. Anyone know when the site actually opens and workmen move in.... even one workman with a high viz jacket... to signify that work has commenced.

Q3 (rather than September) was mentioned when the tender for the demolition and enabling works contract was announced in May. However that was optimistic and dependent on the contract being awarded without any delays and the winning contracter being able to go onsite straight away. The CEO of Limerick 2030 David Conway said recently that work would begin onsite in Q4.

The project management team has been appointed and permission has been given for the initial €25m loan to be drawn down, so I can't see it being long before you see your workmen in high viz jackets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

I see the Limerick Tunnel is finally installing contactless payments facilities , happy days got caught rotten a few years ago had no cash on me and presumed they took card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

kilburn wrote: »
    I see the Limerick Tunnel is finally installing contactless payments facilities , happy days got caught rotten a few years ago had no cash on me and presumed they took card.

How did you pay that time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I was caught out when Watergrasshill(M8) didn't accept card so ended up filling in a form with your details with 24 hours to pay. Paid the following morning. I would say that the operators of the Limerick Tunnel(at the time the same operator of both) would offer such a form also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

I got caught out at the tunnel toll last year, rang the help button and explained I'd pay on card over phone or whatever, and they just waved me through

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I see they're breaking ground, or doing something (Conack Construction) on the end of the Groody link near Northern Trust. I think that is the future grounds of a new school.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭source

Berty wrote: »
    I see they're breaking ground, or doing something (Conack Construction) on the end of the Groody link near Northern Trust. I think that is the future grounds of a new school.

It's the site for the Educate Together Secondary school, they're temporarily in the Salesian's Secondary school until it's built.

kilburn wrote: »

Ridiculous it took that long. A bit like TFIs stupid decision to install a travel card system that doesn't accept contactless

Just wondering from a drivers point of view how does it look when bikes come around the roundabout and then have to take a very sharp left to get on to the cycle lane

I wouldn't know, I haven't really seen anyone using the lanes.

I wouldn't know, I haven't really seen anyone using the lanes.

We obviously pass that way at different times if the day then

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

6541 wrote:
    How did you pay that time ?

Had to give name, number and show id and pay within 24hrs

We obviously pass that way at different times if the day then

I pass it at 9am and 6pm.

I pass it at 9am and 6pm.

If I ever manage to show up on time for work we might meet

I just read on Facebook that the council will be removing the cobbled areas outside the milk market and replacing them with tarmac.

That can't be true?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

I just read on Facebook that the council will be removing the cobbled areas outside the milk market and replacing them with tarmac.

That can't be true?

They've already started doing it I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭geotrig

i wonder does someone in the council have a tarmac fetish :pac: or maybe just shares in the stuff , between the tarmaced footpaths and now tarmaced cobbles ...what next ? , lets tarmac ul track and swimming pool and the grass over in arthurs quay park !:D

The road surface outside the Milk Market isn't cobble. It's paving. The last cobbled street I can remember in Limerick was Lower Mallow Street down to the river, which AFAIR was removed in the 80s when they built the Shannon Bridge.

The road surface outside the Milk Market isn't cobble. It's paving. The last cobbled street I can remember in Limerick was Lower Mallow Street down to the river, which AFAIR was removed in the 80s when they built the Shannon Bridge.

Either way we must be the only town taking this stuff up rather than putting more down. People love that kinda old town stuff now and Dublin, Cork and Galway all make good use of their Temple bar looking areas and we get saddled instead with Perys monument to boring

Either way we must be the only town taking this stuff up rather than putting more down. People love that kinda old town stuff now and Dublin, Cork and Galway all make good use of their Temple bar looking areas and we get saddled instead with Perys monument to boring

I didn't say that they should be replacing it, just that it's not cobbles. As it is we've gotten newly paved areas along the quays, William St., Bedford Row and Thomas St., Parnell St and at the train station over the last decade or so and O'Connell St. will be getting upgraded shortly.

There'll also be the new square created on the Opera site. So it's not like the city streets are being ignored.

Cobbles BTW are not being installed new anywhere as they are not friendly to the disabled or cyclists. The ones in Temple Bar have been removed and replaced by tar. DCC have said that they will be replaced, but in a mobility friendly way.

In other news, I've seen on another site that the Bishops Quay development should be kicking off in a few weeks and that they've applied to add two floor back onto the office block bringing it up to 9 storeys.

I didn't say that they should be replacing it, just that it's not cobbles. As it is we've gotten newly paved areas along the quays, William St., Bedford Row and Thomas St., Parnell St and at the train station over the last decade or so and O'Connell St. will be getting upgraded shortly.

There'll also be the new square created on the Opera site. So it's not like the city streets are being ignored.

Cobbles BTW are not being installed new anywhere as they are not friendly to the disabled or cyclists. The ones in Temple Bar have been removed and replaced by tar. DCC have said that they will be replaced, but in a mobility friendly way.

I didn't accuse you of wanting them replaced calm down man your not under attack.

And cobblestones don't have to be the bumpy old stuff that's just worn out ones. Cobbles or paving is just semantics but to clear up my point by cobblestones I meant bricks or slabs as road rather than tar.

And what you are talking about on the streets you mentioned are new paths which is nothing got to do with roads

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭adaminho

https://twitter.com/_David_Cuddy/status/1316434178066522113?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

geotrig wrote: »
    i wonder does someone in the council have a tarmac fetish :pac: or maybe just shares in the stuff , between the tarmaced footpaths and now tarmaced cobbles ...what next ? , lets tarmac ul track and swimming pool and the grass over in arthurs quay park !:D

The smell of hot bitumen on a cold and frosty morning might be a thing alright. Perhaps if a local Cllr asks at next Council meeting? Probably will hear that the Council Executive have been paying out Insurance claims for this street.

• Advertisement

Well I was wrong about us being the only ones it seems. That sucks

Advertisement