Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

breezy1985 wrote: »
      Well I was wrong about us being the only ones it seems. That sucks
      Where one local authority go in Ireland - ya can be sure others will follow.
      The Galway pedestrian zone change to tarmacadam is because of litigation and pooling of water on said paving stones. The huge heavy HGV's used for deliverys every morning have nothing to do with it... ;)

1. Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Mary st was cobbles also until recently, in unfortunately our unelected council engineers have no regard for history or aesthetics and can pretty much do as they please the medieval core should have been left medieval

2. Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Cobbles BTW are not being installed new anywhere as they are not friendly to the disabled or cyclists. The ones in Temple Bar have been removed and replaced by tar. DCC have said that they will be replaced, but in a mobility friendly way.

In some cities they are installed as a way of slowing motor traffic down

3. Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

kilburn wrote: »
      Mary st was cobbles also until recently, in unfortunately our unelected council engineers have no regard for history or aesthetics and can pretty much do as they please the medieval core should have been left medieval

The council should publish an aesthetic guide for the city. You would have to wonder if anyone in the engineers department talk to each other. any street that is upgraded looks doesn't join up to the next street. Even when they try to keep the same aesthetic the materials don't match like the pavement on Thomas Street and wickam street. Its like there is no documentation of decisions or materials are kept.

as an aside, there has been talk of removing/burying cabling in the city, anyone know if this has been done at any stage. Newtown Perry looks particularly bad on every street.

4. Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭adaminho

mdmix wrote: »
      The council should publish an aesthetic guide for the city. You would have to wonder if anyone in the engineers department talk to each other. any street that is upgraded looks doesn't join up to the next street. Even when they try to keep the same aesthetic the materials don't match like the pavement on Thomas Street and wickam street. Its like there is no documentation of decisions or materials are kept.

as an aside, there has been talk of removing/burying cabling in the city, anyone know if this has been done at any stage. Newtown Perry looks particularly bad on every street.

https://twitter.com/DanielButlerFG/status/1316391693030170625

5. Advertisement
    6. Registered Users Posts: 26,069 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

mdmix wrote: »

If someone asked me to describe Catherine/Mallow st. and that whole area my first thought would be parked cars and power cables.

7. Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭timesnewroman

I was in town earlier and noticed that the former Globe premises on Cecil St has scaffolding erected around it. The company building the rugby museum appear to be involved. Anyone know what is going on there? It would be great to see it taken in hand.

8. Registered Users Posts: 26,069 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The new bit of road outside Smyths is a bit weird looking. Its black tar but with brick design in it like some of the paths have nearby

9. Registered Users Posts: 26,069 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I was in town earlier and noticed that the former Globe premises on Cecil St has scaffolding erected around it. The company building the rugby museum appear to be involved. Anyone know what is going on there? It would be great to see it taken in hand.

The original plan post Globe was for a hostel or budget hotel but that was ages back so god knows.

Its sad the amount of buildings left derelict around Catherine St.

10. Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I don't know what's happening, but I do know that the council had a CPO in for the site which was granted by ABP. It may just be stabilisation works as the building has been derelict for over a decade.

11. Advertisement
    12. Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭sioda

There is no back to that building I wouldnt be surprised if it was a safety precaution

13. Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Are you sure? I thought the company signs on the hoardings were different.

14. Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭timesnewroman

phog wrote: »

I thought they were signs for Flynn. I might be in town again tomorrow, if I am, I'll double check it.

15. Registered Users Posts: 26,069 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

sioda wrote: »
      There is no back to that building I wouldnt be surprised if it was a safety precaution

What happened the back. Was it knocked during the attempted renovation?

16. Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I think everything except the facade was demolished and they had started the rebuild when the recession hit in 2008. So all that's there is the facade and floor plates.

17. Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭sioda

Passed there today and there is a good bit of work going on there as well so who knows

18. Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

I think everything except the facade was demolished and they had started the rebuild when the recession hit in 2008. So all that's there is the facade and floor plates.

Are you sure on that?

19. Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Treepole wrote: »
      Are you sure on that?
      I did start my sentence with the words 'I think'.

20. Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭timesnewroman

I passed by there again today and there is a solitary Flynn sign on one of the hoardings.

21. Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭mart 23

I passed by there again today and there is a solitary Flynn sign on one of the hoardings.

Is there still a valid planning approval for the building. Has the Rugby museum project made good progress.?

22. Advertisement
    23. Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

mart 23 wrote: »
      Is there still a valid planning approval for the building. Has the Rugby museum project made good progress.?

The last planning on the site was back in 2010 to turn it into a hostel, so it's lapsed since 2015.

On the museum, most of the work looks to be at the rear of the site where it looks to be up to second floor level. That's only from passing in the car though, so there may be more done than I can see.

24. Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

In other news, I've seen on another site that the Bishops Quay development should be kicking off in a few weeks and that they've applied to add two floor back onto the office block bringing it up to 9 storeys.

The planning application is now up on the council site for the the office block to be changed to 9 storeys. http://eplan.limerick.ie/AppFileRefDetails/201050/0

Also Conack Construction have confirmed on their LinkedIn page that they'll begin construction in the next few weeks.

25. Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

I passed there again last night and saw the Flynn sign, last time I noticed a sign there it was a different sign and in a different location so it does indeed look like Flynn is doing the construction there.

I did notice there are internal walls and at least some sort of flooring on the first floor as well so it's not just an out shell..

26. Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

I passed there again last night and saw the Flynn sign, last time I noticed a sign there it was a different sign and in a different location so it does indeed look like Flynn is doing the construction there.

I did notice there are internal walls and at least some sort of flooring on the first floor as well so it's not just an out shell..

Owner from the Canteen tweeted that he asked the builders and they said cleaning up the outside and storage for the rugby museums job
      https://twitter.com/wearecanteen/status/1315936160468828165?s=20

27. Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

damowill wrote: »
      Owner from the Canteen tweeted that he asked the builders and they said cleaning up the outside and storage for the rugby museums job
      https://twitter.com/wearecanteen/status/1315936160468828165?s=20

Damn, not bringing back the strip club then.:pac:

28. Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Figerty

29. Registered Users Posts: 26,069 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Figerty wrote: »

It would be amazing to have real commuter stations in Limerick but assume we are talking about a build date of about 2080 when its too late

30. Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

There’s already a disused station in Cratloe, it just needs a platform upgrade I believe. No idea where they’ll put a car park there though...

31. Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Figerty

It would be amazing to have real commuter stations in Limerick but assume we are talking about a build date of about 2080 when its too late

It doesn't have to be that way.. Lets put it this way, when it's being disucssed it's already deciced.. now decide who will pay for it..

32. Advertisement
    33. Registered Users Posts: 26,069 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Figerty wrote: »
      It doesn't have to be that way.. Lets put it this way, when it's being disucssed it's already deciced.. now decide who will pay for it..

Ide say the council would love the Moyross one in particular as they have plenty of land to sell off for development if it went ahead

Advertisement