Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,069 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

bigpink wrote: »
    The crossing from Penneys to Cruises street is crazy its there a zone is needed

The way the street is designed now it encourages crossing there but there is barely any room between there and the traffic lights but maybe you could put a crossing there tied to the lights that already exist so pedestrians are at least then supposed to wait for a green man

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Where is this new crossing?- I was on Patrick street yesterday and didn’t notice it.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Where is this new crossing?- I was on Patrick street yesterday and didn’t notice it.

They don't have lights on it yet. Its between the Arthurs Quay Patrick St entrance and Ormston House/River Deep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

I assume it's proposed to remove the other one outside Boojum so?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I assume it's proposed to remove the other one outside Boojum so?

Why? I've never known any traffic lights to be removed after others are installed. The ones at Boojum also control traffic turning onto Arthur's Quay and Ellen St, so they'll be going nowhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Ellen Street ????
    Denmark Street surely.;)

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Ellen Street ????
    Denmark Street surely.;)

Yes indeed. Confusing myself thinking of the new lights at Ellen St.

Why? I've never known any traffic lights to be removed after others are installed. The ones at Boojum also control traffic turning onto Arthur's Quay and Ellen St, so they'll be going nowhere.

I’m referring to the pedestrian crossing at that junction, not the lights. I haven’t seen the new crossing but by the sound of things it’s not too far away, it’s the same block.

There is only a Pedestrian Crossing at the Arthur's Quay Junction. The Lights there do not control anything else.

There is only a Pedestrian Crossing at the Arthur's Quay Junction. The Lights there do not control anything else.

They also control the pedestrian crossing around the corner between AQ and Burger King.

• Advertisement

That's correct. It's only a Pedestrian Crossing....

OK, let’s take it back a bit for the kids down the back. The lights control the flow of traffic on Patrick Street and two sets of pedestrian crossings. Is everything mentioned staying exactly as is with another pedestrian crossing 20 yards further back Patrick Street? It doesn’t make sense that it would.

OK, let’s take it back a bit for the kids down the back. The lights control the flow of traffic on Patrick Street and two sets of pedestrian crossings. Is everything mentioned staying exactly as is with another pedestrian crossing 20 yards further back Patrick Street? It doesn’t make sense that it would.
    If, as I expect, these new lights are to do with construction starting on the Opera site, then they make perfect sense. The footpath on one side of Ellen St, Partick St and Rutland St is going to be closed for the next 3 - 4 years, so anyone wanting to walk from Ellen St towards Rutland St (and vice versa) will be required to cross the road at this junction.

As I've said in an earlier post, it's pretty normal and has already recently been done on Henry St. (with a similar distance between the lights) for the Gardens building.

And the distance is 80m, not 20 yards.

If, as I expect, these new lights are to do with construction starting on the Opera site, then they make perfect sense. The footpath on one side of Ellen St, Partick St and Rutland St is going to be closed for the next 3 - 4 years, so anyone wanting to walk from Ellen St towards Rutland St (and vice versa) will be required to cross the road at this junction.

As I've said in an earlier post, it's pretty normal and has already recently been done on Henry St. (with a similar distance between the lights) for the Gardens building.

And the distance is 80m, not 20 yards.

I'm going to have to go to town to see this for myself... It's only 70m between Ellen St and the existing pedestrian crossing by the way, so now I'm even more confused. ;) :pac:

Edit: doh! I’ve figured out where it’s going. I was thinking of the other door into AQ. Yes, it’s definitely required there, Opera Centre or not it was always nigh on impossible to cross there. My apologies for the misunderstanding

I’m referring to the pedestrian crossing at that junction, not the lights. I haven’t seen the new crossing but by the sound of things it’s not too far away, it’s the same block.

For the benefit of the Kids who missed the class, there is only a Pedestrian Crossing set of Traffic lights at the AQ junction. What other 'Lights' at the same junction are you referring to ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭source

For the benefit of the Kids who missed the class, there is only a Pedestrian Crossing set of Traffic lights at the AQ junction. What other 'Lights' at the same junction are you referring to ?

There are traffic lights at the corner of Denmark St and Patrick St. There are also a set of pedestrian lights outside the main door of Arthur's Quay, which when pressed cause the main set of lights on Patrick St to go red for traffic. The new crossing will be at the side door of Arthur's Quay crossing Patrick St, on the O'Connell St side of the Ellen St intersection.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

source wrote: »
    There are traffic lights at the corner of Denmark St and Patrick St.

They are not traffic lights they are lights solely for pedestrians to cross the street, oddly though the drivers see directional arrows rather than the full circular light on their view of the pedestrian lights.

phog wrote: »
    They are not traffic lights they are lights solely for pedestrians to cross the street, oddly though the drivers see directional arrows rather than the full circular light on their view of the pedestrian lights.

Either way there are 2 separate sets of controls for that one set of lights, which I think is where I think the confusion is arising. Hence my reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Took a (bad) picture of the new crossing as I was walking past earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Noticed today that the new footpaths for the opera development construction period are being laid out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭mart 23

There is a planning application with the council for 43,44,45and 46 Cecil street.
    Offices in the basements and First floors and Apartments in the upper floors (6 in all) 46 will have toilets in the basement. Himar is the developer.

mart 23 wrote: »
    There is a planning application with the council for 43,44,45and 46 Cecil street.
    Offices in the basements and First floors and Apartments in the upper floors (6 in all) 46 will have toilets in the basement. Himar is the developer.

That's the globe building isn't it?

source wrote: »
    That's the globe building isn't it?
    Yes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Thats a long time coming great to hear

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Saw those patrick street lights earlier but also saw them reducing the 2 inbound lanes from the hunt museum the whole way to the junction with Denmark street.

They've begun by laying concrete to widen the footpath across from the hunt museum but you can see the white lines, lane separation, further along that have moved right also.

Footpath looks weird though. Might be a cycle lane. A short one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭sioda

Berty wrote: »
    Saw those patrick street lights earlier but also saw them reducing the 2 inbound lanes from the hunt museum the whole way to the junction with Denmark street.

They've begun by laying concrete to widen the footpath across from the hunt museum but you can see the white lines, lane separation, further along that have moved right also.

It's the path being extended out for the opera centre hoarding well that's according to the green onions social media

• Registered Users Posts: 26,069 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

bigpink wrote: »
    Thats a long time coming great to hear

Great to hear the building is finally getting used and great to hear about something thats not a pedestrian crossing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Watch out over the next few weeks on the Pa Healy road by Supervalu in Corbally. When they finish installing those concrete bases on the Chevrons it could end up like when they did this coming from Abbey Bridge towards St Marys Church(turning right for Corbally). People didn't spot them going in, didn't know they were there and some slammed right into them, mangling the front and underside of their cars.

Also makes it harder for people to get into the turning lane on the Pa Healy rd in rush hour harder. Is always a sh*t show around there in the mornings already.

Personally I think it is to stop ignorant drivers who will often drive along the chevrons from along the link road, illegaly overtaking traffic, pushing through the turning junction for Supervalu and turning right into College Park. I've seen it a few times, be nice to see them caught out.

Also saw somebody getting caught out knowing damn well they cannot turn right from Old Park road onto Corbally road(around the new bollards and no right turn signs). A driver 4 cars ahead of me appeared he was letting this car make the illegal turn but as they inched out he closed the gap in rush hour causing them to block traffic, reverse and drive down the Corbally road instead, head in their hands :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Berty wrote: »

My guess is they're moving the pavement out so they can erect hoarding on what the existing pavement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭adaminho

Advertisement