Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,069 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

adaminho wrote: »

I'm pro pedestrianisation and cycle lanes but I also understand that people are not happy about losing parking space and always thought the solution would be to convert all this derelict sites and little fenced off areas all over town

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Berty wrote:
    Watch out over the next few weeks on the Groody Link by Supervalu. When they finish installing those concrete bases on the Chevrons it could end up like when they did this coming from Abbey Bridge towards St Marys Church(turning right for Corbally). People didn't spot them going in, didn't know they were there and some slammed right into them, mangling the front and underside of their cars.

I am lost do you mean Pa Healy road turning into College Park in Corbally

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

kilburn wrote: »
    I am lost do you mean Pa Healy road turning into College Park in Corbally

Ah Jaysus, yes, sorry use the Groody Link so often I mixed myself up. Must edit it.

Berty wrote:
    Ah Jaysus, yes, sorry use the Groody Link so often I mixed myself up. Must edit it.

Spotted there this evening will slow down traffic no doubts going into Supervalue but will be great for people crossing the road there don't know how many times I nearly got hit by a car there when traffic was stopped and some clown would shoot up the center of the road.

I emailed Frankie Daly about it in 2017 wonder has he finally read it.... unlikely

kilburn wrote: »
    Spotted there this evening will slow down traffic no doubts going into Supervalue but will be great for people crossing the road there don't know how many times I nearly got hit by a car there when traffic was stopped and some clown would shoot up the center of the road.

I emailed Frankie Daly about it in 2017 wonder has he finally read it.... unlikely

If Daly was involved we would all know about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

breezy1985 wrote: »
    If Daly was involved we would all know about it

Both Frankie and Conor Sheehan have photos ‘live from the scene’ on FB today.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭mart 23

ABP has given approval for 200 units(85 houses 115apartments) at Newcastle Castletroy .

Council have installed pedestrian safety wands on Athlunkard St parallel to those steep steps near the boat club/bridge.

To be fair, they are needed. People do walk on the road to avoid those steps.

Council have installed pedestrian safety wands on Athlunkard St parallel to those steep steps near the boat club/bridge.

To be fair, they are needed. People do walk on the road to avoid those steps.

So they are there to help pedestrians walk on what is now the road?

If you google maps it there is a granny on the road

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

They are a steep step also buggy users..that's a good idea.They should just get rid of the steps really

• Advertisement

So they are there to help pedestrians walk on what is now the road?

If you google maps it there is a granny on the road

Yep. They don’t look to have gone out wider than the parking spaces further down though so I think the road is wide enough.

bigpink wrote: »
    They are a steep step also buggy users..that's a good idea.They should just get rid of the steps really

Don't think they can because the houses are sunk into the road. Would be way to steep to ramp it

So Conack construction across from Northern Trust is not the school(yet) at all but in fact a road but not connecting to the Bloodmill

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/tom-o-connor-60475238_quick-look-at-our-towlerton-project-here-ugcPost-6731601870462234624-qfo7

File number 19546 http://maps.limerick.ie/planningenquiry

You can find the drawings when you search the planning enquiry

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Berty wrote: »
    So Conack construction across from Northern Trust is not the school(yet) at all but in fact a road but not connecting to the Bloodmill

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/tom-o-connor-60475238_quick-look-at-our-towlerton-project-here-ugcPost-6731601870462234624-qfo7

Yeah, the main entrance to the new school will be off this new road, so it obviously has to be built first. I think the main reason for the road is to facilitate the building of more new housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Limerick Council have responsibility for completing the tie-in with the existing Bloodmill/Old Singland Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

That roundabout is gridlock from 8:20 till after 9am (pre-lockdown) with Northern Trust staff trying to get into the carpark. Not sure why they didn't use the roundabout further up the road at the housing estate? Its easier at the NT roundabout for people coming from Groody and going straight through as someone will let you through and you can use the outside lane, but anyone trying to go around from the new road to the motorway won't have a chance without (incorrectly) using the outside lane as NT staff will have the inside lane clogged.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

That roundabout is gridlock from 8:20 till after 9am (pre-lockdown) with Northern Trust staff trying to get into the carpark. Not sure why they didn't use the roundabout further up the road at the housing estate? Its easier at the NT roundabout for people coming from Groody and going straight through as someone will let you through and you can use the outside lane, but anyone trying to go around from the new road to the motorway won't have a chance without (incorrectly) using the outside lane as NT staff will have the inside lane clogged.
    Possibly because the developer doesn't own that land? Or it doesn't suit to open their land for housing?

Possibly because the developer doesn't own that land? Or it doesn't suit to open their land for housing?

It's currently housed by some cows :pac:

A private developer is financing this stretch of new road to open up lands they own for residential and commercial development. The road is not being built to relieve traffic congestion. New roads don't alleviate traffic anyhow, they just encourage more people to drive.

97% of Northern Trust employees travelling to work pre-lockdown in a single occupancy car highlighted the absurdity of Limerick Council planning and transportation policies! Better public transport and cycling infrastructure in the wider Castletroy/Annacotty is the sustainable approach. That way roads are less congested for those who absolutely have to use a car.

Vanquished wrote: »
    A private developer is financing this stretch of new road to open up lands they own for residential and commercial development. The road is not being built to relieve traffic congestion. New roads don't alleviate traffic anyhow, they just encourage more people to drive.

97% of Northern Trust employees travelling to work pre-lockdown in a single occupancy car highlighted the absurdity of Limerick Council planning and transportation policies! Better public transport and cycling infrastructure in the wider Castletroy/Annacotty is the sustainable approach. That way roads are less congested for those who absolutely have to use a car.

Just on the cycling bit the lanes they currently have on that stretch of road are crap. The path and cycle lane need to be at different levels otherwise people are too thick to be able to tell the difference.

Cycled out the canal path yesterday and half of the people walking were in the cycle lane and with headphones in so they can't even hear my bell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Just on the cycling bit the lanes they currently have on that stretch of road are crap. The path and cycle lane need to be at different levels otherwise people are too thick to be able to tell the difference.

Cycled out the canal path yesterday and half of the people walking were in the cycle lane and with headphones in so they can't even hear my bell

You need an airzound :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

Not saying its the developers issue, just shocked the planning got approved at that particular roundabout with how dire it is during peak school traffic hours even without a school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

How exactly will this new road encourage more people to drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

How exactly will this new road encourage more people to drive?

Induced demand

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-09-06/traffic-jam-blame-induced-demand

Also, this road is a dead end anyway .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

My point entirely.

Seems somebody, as expected, has already launched themselves over the new concrete things by Supervalu in Corbally. Pole and sign mangled this morning with scrape marks all over concrete.

Berty wrote:
    Seems somebody, as expected, has already launched themselves over the new concrete things by Supervalu in Corbally. Pole and sign mangled this morning with scrape marks all over concrete.

The first piece coming from Musgraves towards Supervalu side I think is unnecessary but the 2 islands at the pedestrian crossing are definitely needed

How is it a dead end? The new stretch will connect to the existing Old Singland/Bloodmill road and link the Childers road to the Groody road and the wider Ballysimon, Castletroy network.

• Advertisement

How is it a dead end? The new stretch will connect to the existing Old Singland/Bloodmill road and link the Childers road to the Groody road and the wider Ballysimon, Castletroy network.

Not as far the the planning or drawings show or even the visible building work. Look back at the links and planning number I provided. The developer of the lands is building this road in advance just to service the future building works(I guess the school is being one)

Follow this link to find better maps, can't embed them as images way too big. Use the planning number below as well when searching.

http://maps.limerick.ie/planningenquiry

533255.PNG

Advertisement