Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Wey hey we finally get started on Limerick2005 or whatever the 5 year plan was called back then
    Limerick 2030 is far from a 5 year plan and has already developed the Gardens office block and Troy film studios.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,069 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Limerick 2030 is far from a 5 year plan and has already developed the Gardens office block and Troy film studios.

I know it's just the opera centre always had Limerick 20** outside and it just looked like all they were doing was putting back the date

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭source

I know it's just the opera centre always had Limerick 20** outside and it just looked like all they were doing was putting back the date

That was Limerick 2020 and related to the European city of culture bid.

It was just a joke lads don't be worrying about it

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭sleepyman

Anyone know how long the Enabling/Demolition process will take?
    Will construction commence immediately after or will there be another lag in the process?

It just seems very drawn out....

• Advertisement

sleepyman wrote: »
    Will construction commence immediately after or will there be another lag in the process?

I'm not sure of the length of this contract, but the contracts for all phases of construction are all out to tender. The first phase will be basements for the entire site, an underground car park and the office block on the corner of Ellen St and Michael St.

As to a delay, I suppose that depends on who wins the contract. If Sisk wins it they could just continue on. If another company wins it they'll need time for Sisk to vacate the site and them to setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭rebs23

sleepyman wrote: »

12 months demolition and site preperation.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Glenomra

rebs23 wrote: »
    12 months demolition and site preperation.
    The start of the Opera Project is a very significant day for Limerick City. They say it could be transformative! I hope so. It certainly took a while but hope it goes well now.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭mart 23

There is a planning application with the Council to demolish some buildings in Wickham Street 21-25 and build a 4 storey culture centre. No harm for that place to have some improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The "loading bay" on upper Thomas St is being changed to parking spaces. Comical

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »
    The "loading bay" on upper Thomas St is being changed to parking spaces. Comical

I assume that's just the council admitting defeat on what was already getting parked on all day anyway.
    They should know that "garden" next to Bella Italia and make that a loading and pick up area for the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭source

mart 23 wrote: »
    There is a planning application with the Council to demolish some buildings in Wickham Street 21-25 and build a 4 storey culture centre. No harm for that place to have some improvement.

Empty buildings and a vacant lot, seeing something done there would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭timesnewroman

I was in town today for the first time in a while. Here are some pics of three city centre projects at various stages of completion if anyone is interested.

PIC1: The renovation of the Globe on Cecil St.
    PIC2: The rugby museum.
    PIC3: Hoarding being erected around the Opera site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭adaminho

I was in town today for the first time in a while. Here are some pics of three city centre projects at various stages of completion if anyone is interested.

PIC1: The renovation of the Globe on Cecil St.
    PIC2: The rugby museum.
    PIC3: Hoarding being erected around the Opera site.

I passed Quinn's about two weeks ago and I swear if I win the Euromillions in the morning It'd make a great micro distillery to make a Limerick Whiskey!

adaminho wrote: »
    I passed Quinn's about two weeks ago and I swear if I win the Euromillions in the morning It'd make a great micro distillery to make a Limerick Whiskey!

Or buy the old factory on O' Callaghan strand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

From looking at the picture of the Rugby museum, the brick doesnt appear to reflect the colour shown in the renders which is unfortunate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭adaminho

dave 27 wrote: »
    From looking at the picture of the Rugby museum, the brick doesnt appear to reflect the colour shown in the renders which is unfortunate

There is only steel frame on the rugby site.

dave 27 wrote: »
    There were never very clear renders released, only very artistic drawings, so this could easily be the finish that was supposed to be chosen. It fits in with the Georgian surrounds (even if it is a bit pastiche).
    adaminho wrote: »
    There is only steel frame on the rugby site.
    There's red brickwork cladding on the ground floor.

Edit After looking at the planning files on the council planning site, they were always going for this finish. The Red Church on Henry St was the example of style they used.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Rugby museum ffs, what a waste.

Thargor wrote: »

Why?

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    If private individuals want to spend their own money on a rugby museum, than that's their own perogative. It's not a 'waste' of anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mastershake

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/593195/six-storey-tower-on-limerick-citys-northside-given-go-ahead.html

'Six storey tower' screams the headline. The term 'tower' in this context is incorrect and has been used deliberately as a misleading and shock headline. The reality is its a medium scale development with an apartment block to the rear. Overall a very negative piece which includes a NIMBY comment from a local councilor.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/593195/six-storey-tower-on-limerick-citys-northside-given-go-ahead.html

'Six storey tower' screams the headline. The term 'tower' in this context is incorrect and has been used deliberately as a misleading and shock headline. The reality is its a medium scale development with an apartment block to the rear. Overall a very negative piece which includes a NIMBY comment from a local councilor.

Reading the article, the site its going into is near a Travelodge, massive shopping centre, gym etc... but they say the development is not inkeeping with the area. If they throw a tesco sign on the front would it blend in better?

I can get the transport impact because Limericks public transport is poor at best, but where else should an apartment complex go other than a site on the outskirts of the city with good road connections? It would be handy for anyone needing to access Shannon/Ennis on a regular basis.

The local councillor points to " traffic issues in an already built-up area"
    Well then how about you give that part of town a bus. Its an absloute joke that the road from PnG down to Coonagh Cross doesnt have a city bus service

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭The_Dave

The local councillor points to " traffic issues in an already built-up area"
    Well then how about you give that part of town a bus. Its an absloute joke that the road from PnG down to Coonagh Cross doesnt have a city bus service
    I think the 305 used to service there, but from what I recall the usage was poor

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The_Dave wrote: »
    I think the 305 used to service there, but from what I recall the usage was poor

Yeah, that used to be a very handy bus. Must be gone about 15 years now! I used to use it to get into town when I was a teenager. You'd assume with LIT starting some operations at the Coonagh Cross site that demand for a bus service out there will increase again.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭The_Dave

Yeah, that used to be a very handy bus. Must be gone about 15 years now! I used to use it to get into town when I was a teenager. You'd assume with LIT starting some operations at the Coonagh Cross site that demand for a bus service out there will increase again.
    It was painful to get out of Ashbrook though (outbound), that added way too much time onto the journey

The_Dave wrote: »

You could say that about plenty of buses in Limerick doesnt mean the people living there dont deserve a bus.

The 302 is going down the High Road despite the 303 and 306 heading into town that way surely something can be moved round

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

The_Dave wrote:
    It was painful to get out of Ashbrook though (outbound), that added way too much time onto the journey

Ah the old Clareview bus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Don't have the link but Council have a consultation on their website ending 14th on revitalizing 25 laneways in the city.

I remember someone sharing a fantastic video proposal here previously hopefully it is of that standard

Advertisement