Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,069 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

kilburn wrote: »
    Don't have the link but Council have a consultation on their website ending 14th on revitalizing 25 laneways in the city.

I remember someone sharing a fantastic video proposal here previously hopefully it is of that standard

Would be nice to see them cleaned up. I already use a few when cycling orr walking to get away from traffic. Really disappointed Little William St. isnt on it though

https://mypoint.limerick.ie/en/surveys

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭adaminho

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Would be nice to see them cleaned up. I already use a few when cycling orr walking to get away from traffic. Really disappointed Little William St. isnt on it though

Where would they park on a Sunday then?

adaminho wrote: »
    Where would they park on a Sunday then?

Limerick people need to learn that you cant just park your fat arse outside every shop and some walking might be involved.

Ive seen parking too on Little Catherine St. which is just disgusting

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

Limerick people need to learn that you cant just park your fat arse outside every shop and some walking might be involved.

The Leader would be drooling, more disgruntled, middle aged motorists to run a story on after their favourite possibly illegal parking spot has been taken away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

breezy1985 wrote:

Easy solution just blitz them with tickets or squash their cars after repeat offences.

I keep saying it give me one week as a super warden for both traffic and littering and I will raise enough to cover the cost of the Opera Center by the Wednesday and cover the Monorail cost by the Saturday.

We can share Sunday's money !

• Advertisement

Easy solution just blitz them with tickets or squash their cars after repeat offences.

I keep saying it give me one week as a super warden for both traffic and littering and I will raise enough to cover the cost of the Opera Center by the Wednesday and cover the Monorail cost by the Saturday.

We can share Sunday's money !

Put Sundays money towards M&S and you'll cause the forum to implode.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

mart 23 wrote: »
    There is a planning application with the Council to demolish some buildings in Wickham Street 21-25 and build a 4 storey culture centre. No harm for that place to have some improvement.

I've just seen the design of this on the council planning site now that the documents are up. In one word, no. It's a 4 storey red brick bunker with no external windows. Redesign the exterior and come back again please.

I've just seen the design of this on the council planning site now that the documents are up. In one word, no. It's a 4 storey red brick bunker with no external windows. Redesign the exterior and come back again please.

Do you have a link. I can't find the plans on the site

Do you have a link. I can't find the plans on the site
    Planning Ref 201236 http://eplan.limerick.ie/AppFileRefDetails/201236/0

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭sioda

That's awful looking. Would add nothing to the street so I fully expect it to go through planning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

This is a mosque isn't it?

Am I being thick. I still can't see any pictures or drawings of the site just some paperwork and maps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

God that's terrible. Not suitable for a city centre street at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Treepole wrote: »
    This is a mosque isn't it?

It certainly is looking at the plans, the name of applicants, and the application for an exemption from the planning fees. They tend not to have windows either...

Wickham Street will have the adhan going day and night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭sioda

Am I being thick. I still can't see any pictures or drawings of the site just some paperwork and maps

There is a drop down menu on the top left just move between them. I missed it the first time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Having just slogged through this, here's what you do:

1. Go to http://eplan.limerick.ie/iDocsWebDPSS/listFiles.aspx?catalog=planning&id=201236

2. Click on the JPEG link for "Existing & Proposed General Arrangements Drawings"

3. Choose items 15 to 18 from the drop-down.

4. Enjoy.

Louche Lad wrote: »
    Having just slogged through this, here's what you do:

1. Go to http://eplan.limerick.ie/iDocsWebDPSS/listFiles.aspx?catalog=planning&id=201236

2. Click on the JPEG link for "Existing & Proposed General Arrangements Drawings"

3. Choose items 15 to 18 from the drop-down.

4. Enjoy.

Thanks man.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mart 23

These plans are nearly as bad as what is there at present. If they need complete privacy why not use glazed windows.

mart 23 wrote:
    These plans are nearly as bad as what is there at present. If they need complete privacy why not use glazed windows.

Be careful Limerick forum minority and all that... .

mart 23 wrote: »

It seems a waste to use that site for a windowless box. would be much better to pick a site that doesn't have 3 pathside walls.

Or the catholics could just donate one of the multitude of churches around O'Connell St. and then we could keep these sites for something worthwile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I actually don't think it looks that bad. If anything you know that building will be kept immaculate as most mosques are. Certainly will be a lot better kept than many of the buildings in that area.

Jofspring wrote: »
    I actually don't think it looks that bad. If anything you know that building will be kept immaculate as most mosques are. Certainly will be a lot better kept than many of the buildings in that area.

Blank walls on three sides are the problem. It looks like a giant bunker.

Jofspring wrote: »

If it was further down the street and not on the corner it would be fine.

Most of Wickham St. is a kip and ide love to see it knocked and redone in one go

If it was further down the street and not on the corner it would be fine.

Most of Wickham St. is a kip and ide love to see it knocked and redone in one go

Didnt they try that with some of O'Connell Street and now everyone mourns the loss of the original buildings?

To be fair to Wickham Street some of the shopfronts just need to be tidied up and brought more in keeping with the original buildings, and it would be an immediate improvement.

Interesting that the newer businesses questioned the removal, and the older ones who wanted them removed are calling a cycle lane a highway to nowhere.

Slow clap for progression in Limerick.

Every other major city has plenty of businesses without direct road access and they've survived just fine. Heck Venice has virtually no cars and is doing grand aside from the odd aqua alta

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I couldn't believe the council took away those bollards because of what, deliveries? It's a cycle lane, NOBODY can stop there, not even a delivery driver. It is really a silly decision to remove them IF the reason was purely down to people wishing to illegaly park.

Berty wrote:
    I couldn't believe the council took away those bollards because of what, deliveries? It's a cycle lane, NOBODY can stop there, not even a delivery driver. It is really a silly decision to remove them IF the reason was purely down to people wishing to illegaly park.

Her best quote was "our set down and pickup area" it's a lane of traffic !

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Now that the businesses have been identified they need to toe the line wrt Covid regulations or our eagle eyed councillor will be out with their camera and reporting them for breaches.

• Advertisement

Her best quote was "our set down and pickup area" it's a lane of traffic !

Its a sad state of affairs when businesses worry that they'll lose customers if illegal parking is tackled.

Crew Brewing approached the council about the possibility of a loading bay near them being turned into a parklet as delivery drivers kept having issues with cars illegally parked there - they figured if it wasn't being used correctly might as well turn it into something useful and revive the area a bit.

So the council turned it into a parking spot.

Advertisement