Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭adaminho

• Registered Users Posts: 26,068 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

adaminho wrote: »

All sounds great but has all this not been promised plenty of times before

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Wonderful news.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mart 23

What is going to be built in this world-class waterfront.?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭timesnewroman

Speaking of Limericks waterfront. I spotted this at the entrance to the Shannon Fields in Corbally yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

mart 23 wrote: »

essentially, the council wants to build a bridge that looks nice, like the Beckett bridge on the Liffey. Once built, that they can update their website and brochures with a picture of limericks nice new bridge.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Being a little less glib than mdmix and actually answering the question, they want to build pedestrian/cycle only bridges between O'Callaghan Strand and Bishops Quay and across the Abbey at Bank Place. The also want to realign the road around Arthurs Quay to allow redevelopment of the shopping center. And the money will be used in the redevelopment of the Cleeves site.
    https://www.limerick.ie/council/newsroom/news/limerick-city-and-county-council-welcomes-multi-million-euro-investment

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭LeoD

You would hope a bridge with space allocated specifically for cycle traffic would be included and not some crappy shared walking and cycling bridge but there is no mention of any cycle bridge in the press release.

[Edit] Recently installed shared walking and cycling bridge in Cork. This is not fit for purpose.

547460.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34 orangeocelot

... they want to build pedestrian/cycle only bridges between O'Callaghan Strand and Bishops Quay and across the Abbey at Bank Place. The also want to realign the road around Arthurs Quay to allow redevelopment of the shopping center. And the money will be used in the redevelopment of the Cleeves Site ...

Little point in building a pedestrian bridge there if they're not going to pedestrianise Bishop's Quay at the very least.
    I've lost track of how many times I've almost been mown down by speeding cars while trying to cross from Dunnes side to the boardwalk there. If it was fully pedestrianised, it would be a fantastic area for outdoor seating for restaurants, food stalls, etc.

I can't help thinking that this will be a massive half-assed waste of money...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Little point in building a pedestrian bridge there if they're not going to pedestrianise Bishop's Quay at the very least.
    I've lost track of how many times I've almost been mown down by speeding cars while trying to cross from Dunnes side to the boardwalk there. If it was fully pedestrianised, it would be a fantastic area for outdoor seating for restaurants, food stalls, etc.

That’s what you get when you have a Council who speak out both sides of their mouth.

• Advertisement

A proper cycling lane on the new bridge would be of huge benefit to me personally. The strands and quays are quiet enough traffic wise so dodging Sarsfield Bridge would make a big difference for me and in turn making life easier for the cars in the bridge too

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭TPMP

breezy1985 wrote: »
    A proper cycling lane on the new bridge would be of huge benefit to me personally. The strands and quays are quiet enough traffic wise so dodging Sarsfield Bridge would make a big difference for me and in turn making life easier for the cars in the bridge too

I assume they'd be able to remove the cycle lanes on the Shannon Bridge too. Win win for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭LeoD

It's sad how even though the cycle lane on the bridge has had no impact on motor traffic, people still want to see it gone. Is there a more bitter and twisted place in Ireland than Limerick?

TPMP wrote: »
    I assume they'd be able to remove the cycle lanes on the Shannon Bridge too. Win win for all.

That would depend the quays are one way so anyone heading for the dock road would still need them so it would need a contraflow lane on the quays and even then you would probably just still get most cyclists going over Shannon Bridge if coming from Condell/Caherdavin/NCR

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Win win for all? Is that you Pat?

LeoD wrote: »
    You would hope a bridge with space allocated specifically for cycle traffic would be included and not some crappy shared walking and cycling bridge but there is no mention of any cycle bridge in the press release.

[Edit] Recently installed shared walking and cycling bridge in Cork. This is not fit for purpose.

547460.jpg

They can walk across the bridge with their bikes.

They can walk across the bridge with their bikes.

How about you park your car outside town and walk in

How about you park your car outside town and walk in

I do not have one or even a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Glenomra

With all the plans completed, underway or pending Limerick city will be transformed imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Clancourt, the property group owned by the Kenny family, has accused Limerick city authorities of “discriminating” against its plans to develop the Dooradoyle urban quarter in favour of protecting the city centre.

The group, which controls €250 million worth of property in Ireland, has plans to develop a large-scale residential and commercial project on lands beside the Crescent shopping centre in Limerick. The proposed development has been compared to Dundrum Town Centre.

From the SBP

• Advertisement

Clancourt, the property group owned by the Kenny family, has accused Limerick city authorities of “discriminating” against its plans to develop the Dooradoyle urban quarter in favour of protecting the city centre.

The group, which controls €250 million worth of property in Ireland, has plans to develop a large-scale residential and commercial project on lands beside the Crescent shopping centre in Limerick. The proposed development has been compared to Dundrum Town Centre.

From the SBP

Do they have details of the plan.

Edit: Found them. The plan is to rebuild the Crescent and some green land behind

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Edit: Found them. The plan is to rebuild the Crescent and some green land behind

They have a point. I think the City Centre needs to learn to co-exist with the Crescent. The proposals sound like they are in accordance with the NPF.

They have a point. I think the City Centre needs to learn to co-exist with the Crescent. The proposals sound like they are in accordance with the NPF.

The one story shopping centre is a waste but Ide hate to see offices move out of town along with retail. Apartments above would be good use of space though

LeoD wrote: »
    It's sad how even though the cycle lane on the bridge has had no impact on motor traffic, people still want to see it gone. Is there a more bitter and twisted place in Ireland than Limerick?

Well for the brief period that there wasn't a lockdown and the schools were open last year, it absolutely had an effect on traffic. I ended up using the Ennis Road as it was quicker getting into town. I'm not sure why you're suggesting I'm being bitter or twisted for suggesting to remove it. There'll be a dedicated bridge for that literally right beside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Well for the brief period that there wasn't a lockdown and the schools were open last year, it absolutely had an effect on traffic. I ended up using the Ennis Road as it was quicker getting into town. I'm not sure why you're suggesting I'm being bitter or twisted for suggesting to remove it. There'll be a dedicated bridge for that literally right beside it.

Your comments have only served to highlight that too many trips are undertaken by car in Limerick. Removing a piece of active travel infrastructure that was begrudgingly provided by an incompetent Council isn't going to make things any better!

Vanquished wrote: »
    Your comments have only served to highlight that too many trips are undertaken by car in Limerick. Removing a piece of active travel infrastructure that was begrudgingly provided by an incompetent Council isn't going to make things any better!

Why even build the new bridge then when the one right beside it serves that very purpose?

Its not right beside it as the quays are one way so a bike wanting to use the cycle lane coming from the Condell rd.to the Dock rd. would have to go down the quays turn on to Henry st. at Dunnes then on to O'Connell st from Sarsfield st and go up O'Connell st to Mallow st and turn to get to the Dock rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Why even build the new bridge then when the one right beside it serves that very purpose?

Are you aware of the detailed plans for this proposed new bridge? Where is it's location and what will it's layout be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

Is it available without a subscription?

• Advertisement

pigtown wrote: »
    Is it available without a subscription?

The one I found doesn't have any pictures of the new buildings just a map of the area in question and an outline of the plan

Advertisement