Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

I've lost track of how many times I've almost been mown down by speeding cars while trying to cross from Dunnes side to the boardwalk there.

How like? I use it almost daily as a pedestrian and I've never once seen a close one not to mind an accident involving a pedestrian and a vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Hi all,

Is Lidl in Castletroy open? I thought I heard somewhere that it was under reconstruction but it seemed unusual as I thought its less than 10 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭limerickabroad

1huge1 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Is Lidl in Castletroy open? I thought I heard somewhere that it was under reconstruction but it seemed unusual as I thought its less than 10 years old.

Nope, it's still shut. Closed in mid-January, supposedly for 4-6 weeks, but with the ongoing pause on construction, there's no sign of it opening any time soon

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭The_Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭source

Passed matrix signs today on Condell Rd and in Roxboro advising of major construction works starting on O'Connell St from 6th April. So it's finally starting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,068 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

source wrote: »
    Passed matrix signs today on Condell Rd and in Roxboro advising of major construction works starting on O'Connell St from 6th April. So it's finally starting.

There are builders out on O'Connell St. measuring up over the last few days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭adaminho

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Anyone know what end they are starting from?
    It looks like the Caherdavin to Coonagh bit could be opened pretty quick if they want to

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Anyone know what end they are starting from?
    It looks like the Caherdavin to Coonagh bit could be opened pretty quick if they want to
    I'd imagine the whole thing will open as one when it's finished. It's not exactly a long project, so you're unlikely to see any partial opening.

• Advertisement

I'd imagine the whole thing will open as one when it's finished. It's not exactly a long project, so you're unlikely to see any partial opening.

3 years feels like a long time right now

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

3 years feels like a long time right now

If the Greens (national and local politicians) had their way that 3 years would go on forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

I think it's the wrong decision, feel sorry for the people living in those lovely row of bungalows next door. Can they appeal? Or is that it.

Think the building should have been more like the apartment blocks across the road, not as high. It's a monstrosity for a suburban area.

Also working from 7am-7pm seems a bit much too.

I think it's the wrong decision, feel sorry for the people living in those lovely row of bungalows next door. Can they appeal? Or is that it.

Think the building should have been more like the apartment blocks across the road, not as high. It's a monstrosity for a suburban area.

Hard to complain about a monstrous buliding when it is going to be across the road from one of the highest buildings in Limerick that stands out in almost every panoramic shot of Limerick

It's at the bottom of the hill that the 50m tall Thomond Park is on. It'll barely be noticeable next to that.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.6727938,-8.6386539,3a,75y,274.59h,103.16t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sPfBP8FC-lAOMgUTPYii2vQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

And it can't be appealed unless the residents can afford to take ABP to the High Court. But that can only be done on a point of law.

Hard to complain about a monstrous buliding when it is going to be across the road from one of the highest buildings in Limerick that stands out in almost every panoramic shot of Limerick

The old Thomond park was there before Ballananty & Mayorstone were even built.

When the new stands went in Thomond Park paid the residents of Ballananty for their houses that they knocked.

There is a lot more free space around Thomond Park.

That row of bungalows are lovely and it's a shame for the people living there.

If it was 3 stories would fit much better to match the other apartments in area.

I don't like the building and some people do and that's ok.

The old Thomond park was there before Ballananty & Mayorstone were even built.

When the new stands went in Thomond Park paid the residents of Ballananty for their houses that they knocked.

There is a lot more free space around Thomond Park.

That row of bungalows are lovely and it's a shame for the people living there.

If it was 3 stories would fit much better to match the other apartments in area.

I don't like the building and some people do and that's ok.

Would be nice to hear from those residents. They might love a bit of development and it can't be worse than that kip of a pub.

And going back to Thomond Park the lights, noise and traffic would be way worse than those flats ever will be for the people of Kileely which is much older than Thomond Park

Would be nice to hear from those residents. They might love a bit of development and it can't be worse than that kip of a pub.

And going back to Thomond Park the lights, noise and traffic would be way worse than those flats ever will be for the people of Kileely which is much older than Thomond Park[/quote]

You can see the objections from those residents, one person got 19 pages of signatures from locals.
    https://www.limerick.ie/council/services/planning-and-property/apply-or-search-planning-application/search-planning

Parking in building, 20 parking places for medical centre & 143 residents.

You can see the objections from those residents, one person got 19 pages of signatures from locals.
    https://www.limerick.ie/council/services/planning-and-property/apply-or-search-planning-application/search-planning

Sorry I should have been clearer I just meant the residents of the bungalows as they are the only people it really impacts. I couldnt care one bit for the 171 signatures the Mayorstone Coolraine residents group got

• Advertisement

It's 31 apartments . How many students are going to drive from Hassets to LIT? The main objections from locals seems to be light obstruction but they aren't obstructed!

Sorry I should have been clearer I just meant the residents of the bungalows as they are the only people it really impacts. I couldnt care one bit for the 171 signatures the Mayorstone Coolraine residents group got

The bungalow peoples objections are there to read too.

Yes students can walk to LIT but doubt they will walk to Coonagh cross new campus, plus if the students live outside limerick most will drive to hassetts cross.

Most students drive nowadays, from all the cars parked in UL, Mary I.

A roof garden sounds great for student parties, we have all seen the carry on in Castletroy.

The bungalow peoples objections are there to read too.

Yes students can walk to LIT but doubt they will walk to Coonagh cross new campus, plus if the students live outside limerick most will drive to hassetts cross.

Most students drive nowadays, from all the cars parked in UL, Mary I.

A roof garden sounds great for student parties, we have all seen the carry on in Castletroy.

How do you find those objections. Im struggling with that site all I can find is the plans

If its just students cause parties or houses cause cars I dont care as its just pure NIMBYism. What do you want to do lock all students away in case they party and then ban them from having cars. Proposed new bus and cycle routes for that road and Coonagh Cross will be able to help along with the reduced traffic from the new NDR. Also there is nothing to say that most of those students dont currently live around town and drive that road every day already so it will not all be new traffic

And again back to the 25k capacity stadium which makes any talk of noise pollution or parties a bit rich

How do you find those objections. Im struggling with that site all I can find is the plans

If its just students cause parties or houses cause cars I dont care as its just pure NIMBYism. What do you want to do lock all students away in case they party and then ban them from having cars. Proposed new bus and cycle routes for that road and Coonagh Cross will be able to help along with the reduced traffic from the new NDR. Also there is nothing to say that most of those students dont currently live around town and drive that road every day already so it will not all be new traffic

And again back to the 25k capacity stadium which makes any talk of noise pollution or parties a bit rich
    http://pleanala.ie/documents/orders/308/D308109.pdf

http://eplan.limerick.ie/iDocsWebDPSS/listFiles.aspx?catalog=planning&id=19710

adaminho wrote: »

Thanks.

Hilarious some of the people living across the road in the new apartments complaining about the new new ones "no being in keeping with the area" or people who decide that the public road is for their car and no one else and one guy is going on about his 1800s farm

Any talk of noise, privacy or traffic is BS as all 3 are compromised every day in the city but there is a handwritten letter complaining about light being blocked and I do hope that was investigated fully because that would be unfair

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

I see the Council has been caught with their pants down using active travel funds to repave roads, in at least two cases.

In the first case, they have repaved road, removed a pedestrian crossing and insert parking spaces by Steamboat Quay with €200k meant for improving footpaths for pedestrians and cycle tracks for cyclists.
    The Leader have a very poorly put together article where the Council has denied these were active travel funds. Of course the article doesn't mention that the Council confirmed that they were when a Councillor asked about it in January.

In the second case, they were to move a cycle lane from outside parking (an idea that is beyond stupid) and placing it inside the parking by the Regional at a cost of €1.3m. Looks like they have just repaved the road and left the cycle lane outside the parking as was the previous case.

So there is now no pedestrian access from the hotel door to the riverside walk. If I was the hotel I wouldn't be happy with the crap look of the street now compared to the old way but I'm sure they are more worried about gaining an extra few parking spaces.

As for the other lane im happy it is staying where it is. A lane inside the parking would be full of muppets walking on it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

So there is now no pedestrian access from the hotel door to the riverside walk. If I was the hotel I wouldn't be happy with the crap look of the street now compared to the old way but I'm sure they are more worried about gaining an extra few parking spaces.

As for the other lane im happy it is staying where it is. A lane inside the parking would be full of muppets walking on it

Aren't the paving stones way more aesthetically pleasing? Why are they making the street uglier?

Aren't the paving stones way more aesthetically pleasing? Why are they making the street uglier?

Cheaper to put tarmac probably. I feel like the paving stones deter people from driving too fast too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

Wow. turn an area from a lovely pedestrian friendly area, something not hugely common in limerick city centre, and replace it with... that. So sad. Limerick has so much potential, decisions like this should not be happening.

Advertisement