Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,068 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Anyone know why the centre row of cobbles are being ripped up on Thomas st. Is it for more tarmac ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Anyone know why the centre row of cobbles are being ripped up on Thomas st. Is it for more tarmac ?
    It's the first part of the revitalisation project. The whole of Thomas St between Little William St and O'Connell St is having its paving and street furniture replaced. Works on O'Connell St between William St. and Thomas St begins next Monday. https://www.limerick.ie/sites/default/files/media/documents/2021-04/weekly-bulletin-04-04-2021.pdf

It's the first part of the revitalisation project. The whole of Thomas St between Little William St and O'Connell St is having its paving and street furniture replaced. Works on O'Connell St between William St. and Thomas St begins next Monday. https://www.limerick.ie/sites/default/files/media/documents/2021-04/weekly-bulletin-04-04-2021.pdf

It's started today the cobbles have been taken up

It's started today the cobbles have been taken up
    Read my post again.

Read my post again.

I didn't mean to question your post just to say that the Thomas St. part started today as I later realized the link also stated

• Advertisement

I didn't mean to question your post just to say that the Thomas St. part started today as I later realized the link also stated
    And that's what I said. The work you saw is Phase 1 on Thomas St. The work on O'Connell St (Phase 2) starts next Monday. Anyways, good to see that it's finally started.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

What are they replacing the pavement with?

Treepole wrote: »
    What are they replacing the pavement with?
    A different type of paving. All the plans were already posted on this thread and are available here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

A different type of paving. All the plans were already posted on this thread and are available here

"To hell with aesthetics" - LCC

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Jose Maria

"To hell with aesthetics" - LCC

I think that's the last tick on their list, lifeless granite paving and stainless bollards is whats going in, also ripping up the lovely limestone on Thomas St another travesty, it will look like a multinational factory carpark for a finish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭adaminho

Jose Maria wrote: »
    I think that's the last tick on their list, lifeless granite paving and stainless bollards is whats going in, also ripping up the lovely limestone on Thomas St another travesty, it will look like a multinational factory carpark for a finish

The paving on Thomas st was a disaster! They had to pay to have someone go around with a blowtorch and chisel to make it non-slip!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭geotrig

i wonder when the pouring of the black gooey tar stuff is scheduled to be poured over it !:pac:
    have to agree on the limestone paving that was used around bedford row thomas street /shannon street was really nice but lethal when wet when initially put down

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭sleepyman

adaminho wrote: »
    The paving on Thomas st was a disaster! They had to pay to have someone go around with a blowtorch and chisel to make it non-slip!

It was sloppy when it rained but I thought it looked really nice.So they're ripping up paving that was done what in 2006 or 2007?Seems a waste to see what they're replacing it with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭source

sleepyman wrote: »
    It was sloppy when it rained but I thought it looked really nice.So they're ripping up paving that was done what in 2006 or 2007?Seems a waste to see what they're replacing it with.

I don't think anyone is denying that it looked nice, but that doesn't change the fact that it is a completely unsuitable surface for our climate. The thing is that public realm works not only needs to look good, but also needs to be functional and appropriate to the climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

sleepyman wrote: »

Over the last few years when they were repairing the pavements on O'Connell St and they used the black tarry stuff there was an outcry because they were using a temporary and cheap method to repair our city pavements. Generally, this outcry was from people that knew O'Connell St was up for upgrading.

The council is to waive fees for outdoor seating again this summer and will install up to 10 footpath build outs in the city and 3 in each of the other districts to facilitate outdoor dining. https://www.limerickpost.ie/2021/04/15/limerick-council-waive-licence-fees-and-additional-space-for-outdoor-dining-this-summer/?utm_source=SocialAutoPoster&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Twitter

IMO they could go further and stand up to the vested interests and actually pedestrianise the streets that were due to be pedestrianised last summer. You only have to look a Cork to see how successful it could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

The council is to waive fees for outdoor seating again this summer and will install up to 10 footpath build outs in the city and 3 in each of the other districts to facilitate outdoor dining. https://www.limerickpost.ie/2021/04/15/limerick-council-waive-licence-fees-and-additional-space-for-outdoor-dining-this-summer/?utm_source=SocialAutoPoster&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Twitter

IMO they could go further and stand up to the vested interests and actually pedestrianise the streets that were due to be pedestrianised last summer. You only have to look a Cork to see how successful it could be.

Cork is a strange one. The introduction of the bus gate on Patrick's Street was panned by businesses and councillors but they then go and implement major pedestrianisation without much fuss. What changed in the meantime and can we help change the minds of those opposing similar measures in Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

The cork city centre streets being pedestrianised serve no purpose to cars except a small amount of car parking and deliveries. While having 17 new streets pedestrianised is a big deal, I don't think they're comparable to limerick's wide boulevardesque streets. All of Cork's gridded streets are rarely used by cars, bring you nowhere, are actually out of the way to get onto, have no destination, etc. The only major one is Oliver Plunkett St but that has been virtually pedestrianised for years anyway. The wider city centre streets like Washington St, Patrick St, Grand Parade, South Mall, Parnell Place, MacCurtain St, etc would have huge uproar if they were being pedestrianised. so if limerick wants more like this, they need to find equally useful easy wins like Cork's streets. They could also look at what Cork did with its wider streets. huge amounts of road space were taken away from parnell place, grand parade, anglesea st and patrick st to create wide plazas with trees and places to walk or sit, as well as bike lanes. Similar is happening on the South Mall right now.

Catherine St between Thomas St and Roches St could easily be closed. As could Thomas St up to Anne St. Most of Denmark St (between the two car parks), Robert St. and maybe Cornmarket Row could also be pedestrianised, meaning that the post popular nightlife area and the Milk Market could be linked in a pedestrian friendly area.

Not every street in Limerick is a wide boulevard or heavily trafficed. There are quite a few easy wins when it comes to pedestrianisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Catherine St between Thomas St and Roches St could easily be closed. As could Thomas St up to Anne St. Most of Denmark St (between the two car parks), Robert St. and maybe Cornmarket Row could also be pedestrianised, meaning that the post popular nightlife area and the Milk Market could be linked in a pedestrian friendly area.

Not every street in Limerick is a wide boulevard or heavily trafficed. There are quite a few easy wins when it comes to pedestrianisation.

Are you crazy? Expect World War III if Anne O’Donnell and Mike O’Connell got even a sniff of such outrageous proposals.

• Advertisement

Are you crazy? Expect World War III if Anne O’Donnell and Mike O’Connell got even a sniff of such outrageous proposals.
    I know what your saying, but this is exactly why I said in a previous post that the council needs to stand up to them. Its a disgrace that the council is bowing down to these few individuals at the expense of every other citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

I know what your saying, but this is exactly why I said in a previous post that the council needs to stand up to them. Its a disgrace that the council is bowing down to these few individuals at the expense of every other citizen.

As many people have said, do the people in the council that make these decisions even live in the city or spend lots of time in the city. Because to me it looks like they don't because why wouldn't you make the city more pedestrian friendly, unless you didn't live there or use the city centre much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

As many people have said, do the people in the council that make these decisions even live in the city or spend lots of time in the city. Because to me it looks like they don't because why wouldn't you make the city more pedestrian friendly, unless you didn't live there or use the city centre much.

I think the worst thing that happened Limerick City was its merger with the County back in 2014.

Yes, before that there were issues with the suburbs being in the county and competition between the two authorities but I really feel since the merger that the city has suffered at the expense of the county, probably due to the old county council civil servants being more powerful/influential than those who previously worked for the city council.

Limerick City and County Council is definitely full of people who do not like Limerick City.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Absolutely, bowing down to businesses that might potentially go out of business anyway or be retired in 10-15 years is ridiculous and I'm apart of a family business in town.

I think the worst thing that happened Limerick City was its merger with the County back in 2014.

Yes, before that there were issues with the suburbs being in the county and competition between the two authorities but I really feel since the merger that the city has suffered at the expense of the county, probably due to the old county council civil servants being more powerful/influential than those who previously worked for the city council.

Limerick City and County Council is definitely full of people who do not like Limerick City.

I'm really hoping having a mayor will be able to focus these projects and drown out the showboating councillors

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I should probably step back from boards a bit cause at the start of that I was thinking you were talking about the merging of the regional forums here :D:D:D:D

As someone who works in Limerick and spends a lot of time in Limerick socially I think the merging of the 2 councils have been a good thing, there used to be a hard line between the city and county now there's a blending of both, which is a good thing. I'm sure there's a lot of projects that come up for a decision and personal opinions/politics come into it but as a whole I think the merger of as much as possible is only a good thing, cuts down on so much red tape and waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

I'd imagine a lot of the senior management live well away from the city and only occasionally drive in for non-work purposes, certainly the quality of the public realm and the distinct lack of interest in any plans that give people who live in or near town enhanced space or higher quality walking or cycling infrastructure gives that impression.

Having walking the three bridgesa lot recently, the only nod to the increased numbers I can see is they put a few bins around the place and even then most of those are small ones right by City Hall plus a small number of bigger ones in random places among the stands and boardwalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

An SHD at Walker's Lane in Annacotty which was refused last year has been re submitted to An Bord Pleanala. It looks like a nice mix of houses and apartments

• Advertisement

Advertisement