Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

adaminho wrote: »
    It doesn't just get the go ahead, it's already started. Connack have been onsite for the last 2 or 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭sleepyman

It doesn't just get the go ahead, it's already started. Connack have been onsite for the last 2 or 3 weeks.

I remember plans to move/build a bus depot/station to the other side of the train station.I wonder what became of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭adaminho

sleepyman wrote: »
    I remember plans to move/build a bus depot/station to the other side of the train station.I wonder what became of it?

This is phase one. It was planned over 10 years so was meant to be done piecemeal. Phase 1 is meant to move everything over from the yard on Sexton Street to where the buses turn behind Jackman park. Once that's done they will move the bus station to the car park on the railway side and then use the old Gate next to CBS as the Bus exit.

This is phase one. It was planned over 10 years so was meant to be done piecemeal. Phase 1 is meant to move everything over from the yard on Sexton Street to where the buses turn behind Jackman park. Once that's done they will move the bus station to the car park on the railway side and then use the old Gate next to CBS as the Bus exit.
    The work you linked to in the Leader in is the bus depot on Roxboro Road. It has nothing to do with Colbert Station. I haven't heard of any plans to resume work at Colbert Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mart 23

The work you linked to in the Leader in is the bus depot on Roxboro Road. It has nothing to do with Colbert Station. I haven't heard of any plans to resume work at Colbert Station.

CIE have a notice in E Tenders regarding an upgrade to Colbert Station.

• Advertisement

mart 23 wrote: »
    CIE have a notice in E Tenders regarding an upgrade to Colbert Station.
    Just had a look. The notice was posted to etenders the day after my post. Still a different contract to whats going on at the bus depot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭adaminho

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭sioda

City is crying out for good quality accommodation. That sites been empty for years. 6 stories would set a precedent for that side of the city though. Not the worst looking proposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

sioda wrote: »
    City is crying out for good quality accommodation. That sites been empty for years. 6 stories would set a precedent for that side of the city though. Not the worst looking proposal.

Where exactly is this? seems to be a fair bit of housing going in in clonmacken/condell road area as of late

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭sioda

Right at the roundabout behind Jetland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭source

Does she ever not object to new plans on that side of town?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

source wrote: »
    Does she ever not object to new plans on that side of town?

Not Jysk. :pac:

Although they appear to be 6 stories, these shouldnt pose any mad height for the area, ive seen schemes like this before and once the landscaping is done and trees are planted etc you wouldnt even notice them especially if its behind the likes of the jetland and the retail park etc

As mentioned, schemes like this is badly needed in the city and if it adds a bit more density then so be it. That whole area in a few years time will have much better transport links as the area develops (looking at the likes of Coonagh etc down the line), so it should be a welcomed development.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Landoflemon

It's pretty much bang on final approach for landing at the airstrip in Coonagh, the planes are at about 250ft altitude at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,065 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It's pretty much bang on final approach for landing at the airstrip in Coonagh, the planes are at about 250ft altitude at that point.

No way the planes are as low as 6 stories coming over the Jetland. Sure I'm over there all the time and I've never seen a plane pass over the place.

Edit:Sorry that's not what you were saying I just jumped to conclusions

Which is still likely to be about 180ft above the roof of this building. We're only talking about 6 storeys here.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    No way the planes are as low as 6 stories coming over the Jetland. Sure I'm over there all the time and I've never seen a plane pass over the place.

Edit:Sorry that's not what you were saying I just jumped to conclusions

No worries, I was just saying that the planes are kind of low, and the building is kind of high. But on a good weekend there can be 50+ landings there.

Does it mention how high they will be? The reality is the Ardhu apartments are probably taller and you wouldn't even notice them passing them on the ennis road

dave 27 wrote: »
    Does it mention how high they will be? The reality is the Ardhu apartments are probably taller and you wouldn't even notice them passing them on the ennis road

The north of the city is hilly too. Thomond Park looks massive compared to PnaG from a distance and the Ardhu is on top of a hill so in altitude would be way higher than anything built by the Jetland

24.75m at the highest point is the planned height. The difference with the Ardhu apartments is that they're about 60m back from the road and there's a big slope from the entrance down to the building itself. For the plans at Clonmacken the ground level starts at 2m above the road height. On that topic, is there there any plans for the Ardhu at all?

• Advertisement

24.75m at the highest point is the planned height. The difference with the Ardhu apartments is that they're about 60m back from the road and there's a big slope from the entrance down to the building itself. For the plans at Clonmacken the ground level starts at 2m above the road height. On that topic, is there there any plans for the Ardhu at all?
    So is your issue with this the height affecting the airfield or the fact that it's to be built near where you're living?

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭sleepyman

I know it's been only a few weeks but any progress on the pedestrianisation?

Weekly updates posted here

The road outside Brown Thomas is ripped up along with the lower part of Thomas St.

Looks like they might be using the opportunity to do some pipe work while it's all up

So is your issue with this the height affecting the airfield or the fact that it's to be built near where you're living?

Both, equally :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭geotrig

Think the plans from a quick glance look good and suit where i think it is anyway.

It did get me thinking on the ardhu, wasnt that turned down for conversion to apartments many moons ago ,or do I have that wrong I remember thinking it was silly blocking it , I wonder will they revisit that now are they still empty ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭Jofspring

The only people the apartment block will affect is the houses either side of it. I like the idea of more apartment blocks being built but a 6 story one will be towering over the houses either side of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Catherine St between Thomas St and Roches St could easily be closed. As could Thomas St up to Anne St. Most of Denmark St (between the two car parks), Robert St. and maybe Cornmarket Row could also be pedestrianised, meaning that the post popular nightlife area and the Milk Market could be linked in a pedestrian friendly area.

Not every street in Limerick is a wide boulevard or heavily trafficed. There are quite a few easy wins when it comes to pedestrianisation.

Denmark St is one way. If you close it @ the entrance to Cruises St car park then it dead ends how does anyone that drives into the street get out ? Or for that matter get out of Cruises St car park ?

That section of Catherine St I actually use quite a lot but you are right it would make a nice pedestrian area. You would also need to close the lane down the side of the The Uber building (ersons lane, which would cause a problem for Duggans Glass)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

knipex wrote: »
    Denmark St is one way. If you close it @ the entrance to Cruises St car park then it dead ends how does anyone that drives into the street get out ? Or for that matter get out of Cruises St car park ?

There is rear entrance/exit to the Denmark Street car park, and also there is a very tiny bit of Denmark street(from Patrick street to the alley) that is actually a two way. Not that anybody, or myself, is brave enough to drive against the commonly accepted flow of traffic.

Essentially you cannot park passed the alley(double yellow lines and a hatched area) so nobody should park passed the official two way anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Berty wrote: »
    There is rear entrance/exit to the Denmark Street car park, and also there is a very tiny bit of Denmark street(from Patrick street to the alley) that is actually a two way. Not that anybody, or myself, is brave enough to drive against the commonly accepted flow of traffic.

Essentially you cannot park passed the alley(double yellow lines and a hatched area) so nobody should park passed the official two way anyway.

I had forgotten about the exit onto Ellen St. The only way it would work would be to make it access to the car-park only. No room to turn so if you go into Denmark St from Patrick St you have to exit via Cruises st car park.

Advertisement