Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,065 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

knipex wrote: »
    Denmark St is one way. If you close it @ the entrance to Cruises St car park then it dead ends how does anyone that drives into the street get out ? Or for that matter get out of Cruises St car park ?

That section of Catherine St I actually use quite a lot but you are right it would make a nice pedestrian area. You would also need to close the lane down the side of the The Uber building (ersons lane, which would cause a problem for Duggans Glass)

I've been to a fair few cities that have a gate or barrier on streets like Catherine St. so that they can be closed from Friday night to Monday morning which I think most people would be happy with. Same for Denmark St. and the Market area

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Lidl have been granted planning permission for their new store on the Dock Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭adaminho

Sounds great

• Advertisement

Are they temporary or permanent ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭adaminho

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Are they temporary or permanent ?

Seems to be semi-permanent. They need to go through planning.

https://twitter.com/jamesjcollins/status/1393583206352424965

Looking at those photos I realise I have actually used them before and they are really good.

At first I thought they were talking about some big perspex box

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭pajoguy

It will be autumn by the time they will be erected if they have to go through part 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

It's great that they're finally doing something but why on earth has it taken so long? They've had months to get this ready, what happens if they don't get permission or funding for the canopies? There won't be enough time to sort something else

• Advertisement

pigtown wrote: »
    It's great that they're finally doing something but why on earth has it taken so long? They've had months to get this ready, what happens if they don't get permission or funding for the canopies? There won't be enough time to sort something else

Just have to use those cheap canopies the beer companies hand out. Hopefully rain wont be much of a problem in June or July if we are lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

00160878-800.jpg

The rugby museum construction site as in January (RTE).

Anyone with an update on the museum’s progress?

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

00160878-800.jpg

It's exactly the same

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭source

00160878-800.jpg

That would be classed as non essential construction, so it was shut down during the lock down, only open again the last few weeks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Cruises St to be covered with a canopy. https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/633802/multi-million-euro-plans-revealed-to-build-canopy-over-limerick-street.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
    CRUISES Street in the city centre is expected to be covered with a canopy as part of multi-million euro plans to develop the city centre.

Limerick City and County Council has secured €2.65m to install a covering on the street, with councillors hoping outdoor dining could reverse the fortunes of the thoroughfare, which has seen a spate of businesses closing in recent years.
    As well as a canopy, the funding will be used for the installation of infrastructure to support public events, for example stages and street furniture.
    Cllr O’Sullivan added: “It makes loads of sense to focus on Cruises Street and try and do something there.”

“At the moment, Cruises Street is all retail. We have to address the mix there so that after 5pm, there is something happening on that street. We need to address a retail and hospitality mix, something that would give it a bit of life after 5pm,” said the City North member.

She recalled the fact Bewley’s Coffee was once at the heart of Cruises Street, and it’s that kind of dining experience which should return.

“We need to make sure Cruises Street is safer and there is a better retail mix. Then we can get people to spend time there and turn it into a destination street,” she added
    I don't see the point really in covering a street that has no restaurants or bars. And hoping that putting a canopy over the street will get them in to replace the existing retailers is wishful thinking IMO.

Cruises St to be covered with a canopy. https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/633802/multi-million-euro-plans-revealed-to-build-canopy-over-limerick-street.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I don't see the point really in covering a street that has no restaurants or bars. And hoping that putting a canopy over the street will get them in to replace the existing retailers is wishful thinking IMO.

They could do what they did the first time they built it and offer big tax incentives to move in there.

At least all this canopy talk is finally after 100s of years going to address the fact that One of the rainiest city centres in Europe isn't fit for purpose

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Tefral

build it and they will come. fantastic idea. at the moment the place is crap. this will definitely bring business there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

The old argument on why Cruises St wasn't a successful pedestrian street was that the units were too small, something I never really bought into, there are hundreds if not thousands of successful small coffee shops, bars, ice cream parlours clothing & jewelry shops, etc around Ireland.

Hopefully, a covering will help revitalise this street but it's like the plan to build covered units on Thomas St/Catherine St, who pays and what businesses benefits?

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭The_Dave

A covered Cruise Street, anything to keep the scobes happy, wouldn't want them to get their white socks wet:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

The market is covered and I'm sure that is a good chunk of the attraction of it. Great idea IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭The_Dave

The market is covered and I'm sure that is a good chunk of the attraction of it. Great idea IMO.
    But the market can be locked when closed, a public street cannot, the ne'er do wells are the issue. But who knows how to solve that one

phog wrote: »
    The old argument on why Cruises St wasn't a successful pedestrian street was that the units were too small, something I never really bought into, there are hundreds if not thousands of successful small coffee shops, bars, ice cream parlours clothing & jewelry shops, etc around Ireland.

Hopefully, a covering will help revitalise this street but it's like the plan to build covered units on Thomas St/Catherine St, who pays and what businesses benefits?

The government pay for it says so in the article. Also we don't know who it will benefit yet as the idea is to get new business in

The_Dave wrote: »
    But the market can be locked when closed, a public street cannot, the ne'er do wells are the issue. But who knows how to solve that one

If it's canopies like the Thomas St proposal they will retract at night. The main street in Malaga has massive retractable canopies for high summer that cover the entire street

The government pay for it says so in the article. Also we don't know who it will benefit yet as the idea is to get new business in

That's the difficulty I have with it, ton of tax payers money laid out making the street more attractive for business owners but we've no idea who or how new tenants will be selected.

That's the difficulty I have with it, ton of tax payers money laid out making the street more attractive for business owners but we've no idea who or how new tenants will be selected.

Better off let it rot I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭sleepyman

Tefral wrote: »
    build it and they will come. fantastic idea. at the moment the place is crap. this will definitely bring business there.

They could do with replacing the paving aswell.It's like a high street in the North of England.
    Still encouraging to see this and the pedestrianisation.
    Would love to see the Quays down near House fully pedestrianised.

Better off let it rot I suppose

That's a huge leap there

Maybe the government could incentivise businesses to do something with the street and let those businesses benefit from their investments.

That's a huge leap there

Maybe the government could incentivise businesses to do something with the street and let those businesses benefit from their investments.

Upgrading the infrastructure is incentivising business to move to the street.

Any other form of incentive you have in mind would also cost money

Upgrading the infrastructure is incentivising business to move to the street.

Any other form of incentive you have in mind would also cost money

Well yes, I understand that an incentive costs money but it can cost a lot less than paying out in the full to do the job.

• Advertisement

Well yes, I understand that an incentive costs money but it can cost a lot less than paying out in the full to do the job.

Depends really. Just saying incentives is nice and easy it can mean anything. What would you actually propose and what would it cost in comparison

Advertisement