Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The only upgrade needed at the golf links connection is a widened road/bridge and a set of traffic lights. Not cheap stuff really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

pigtown wrote: »
    The council have two Part 8 applications up for public consultation:
    The proposed pergolas to facilitate outdoor dining on Bedford Row and Thomas Street - nice idea but they're proposing to remove the limestone cubes from the street in the process thus greatly reducing the number of public seats in the city

and an upgrade of the junction of the Golf links Road and Old Ballysimon Road which is badly needed and includes an upgrade to cycle paths and footpaths

Those limestone cubes are a waste of time, something more appropriate should be replaced once the outdoor dining is installed. I'm not sure what is planned for the ó Connell St redevelopment but seating for Bedford Row should match what is being installed there

• Registered Users Posts: 26,062 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

dave 27 wrote: »
    Those limestone cubes are a waste of time, something more appropriate should be replaced once the outdoor dining is installed. I'm not sure what is planned for the ó Connell St redevelopment but seating for Bedford Row should match what is being installed there

Those blocks I always assumed were barriers to stop parking disguised as seats

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭Jofspring

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Those blocks I always assumed were barriers to stop parking disguised as seats

Ya thought they were just to stop parking too. Only seen people sitting on them a hand full of times. No loss if replaced with decent outdoor dining.

Jofspring wrote: »
    Ya thought they were just to stop parking too. Only seen people sitting on them a hand full of times. No loss if replaced with decent outdoor dining.

They really need to put electronic barriers on little Catherine St. too. Have seen people drive down it and often the wrong way too often while the street is full of seats. Same should happen at Foxes Bow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭Jofspring

breezy1985 wrote: »
    They really need to put electronic barriers on little Catherine St. too. Have seen people drive down it and often the wrong way too often while the street is full of seats. Same should happen at Foxes Bow

Absolutely. Can't think of any reason cars can still turn off William Street and go up Tomas street. Block it off and only open it for deliveries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

[HTML][/HTML]
    Berty wrote: »
    The only upgrade needed at the golf links connection is a widened road/bridge and a set of traffic lights. Not cheap stuff really.

A new bridge, widened road, footpaths, cycle lanes, some parking outside the pub are planned. I dont think lights are needed there though and none are proposed
    Jofspring wrote: »

Removing public seats and expecting people who want to sit to pay for the privilege is a loss. The cubes weren't great but there is no proposal to replace them

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭LeoD

[HTML][/HTML]
    A new bridge, widened road, footpaths, cycle lanes, some parking outside the pub are planned. I dont think lights are needed there though and none are proposed

Those black dots with arrows are signal heads so not only will there be traffic lights, some will be mounted on overhead gantries like Parnell St/Lwr Gerald Griffin St.
    555879.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭biddyearley

Best thing is the motorway bypassing Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Not sure if this is an improvement but Curragower House was knocked over the weekend, I really thought they'd be some protest to try and prevent/delay the demolition but there wasn't even a whimper.

• Advertisement

Is Curragower house such a big deal? It was falling down and defective according to the planning application.

Who would spend the money to bring it up to standard?

The Sailor's Home and the Kate O'Brien house and also old and haven't found any other viable use. Why no protests about them?

Is Curragower house such a big deal? It was falling down and defective according to the planning application.

The Sailor's Home and the Kate O'Brien house and also old and haven't found any other viable use. Why no protests about them?

Have the sailors home and Kate O'Briens house been knocked ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭adaminho

The Sailors home is used for cultural exhibitions and Kate O'Brien's house has apartments in it.

The reason Curragower House was derelict was to circumvent any objections by saying it was damaged beyond repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Didn't someone take slates of the roof to allow the rain in to assist it's deterioration.

adaminho wrote: »
    The Sailors home is used for cultural exhibitions and Kate O'Brien's house has apartments in it.

The reason Curragower House was derelict was to circumvent any objections by saying it was damaged beyond repair.

Aren't cultural events in the Sailor's home a temporary thing until a permanent use is found? I didn't realise that the Kate O'Brien house has apartments.

My point is not all old buildings are suitable for reuse, especially with the cost of repairs. I'd much prefer however many apartments are being built on the Curragower site than a derelict house

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

the same Coonagh air club who wanted to sell up to developers and close the base in 2008 are now touting their long history in the area while objecting to another development. Honestly, people in limerick need to stop objecting to low density apartment blocks. I constantly have co-workers foaming at the mouth, pressuring everyone around them to object to similar schemes

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/641290/objections-fly-over-proposed-new-apartment-complex.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook&fbclid=IwAR35lYP8cJkrr7rXJNygGJdt944AfPXIdwzgJNCsYOcN7tJPrCdLByQh_5w

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

mdmix wrote: »
    the same Coonagh air club who wanted to sell up to developers and close the base in 2008 are now touting their long history in the area while objecting to another development. Honestly, people in limerick need to stop objecting to low density apartment blocks. I constantly have co-workers foaming at the mouth, pressuring everyone around them to object to similar schemes

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/641290/objections-fly-over-proposed-new-apartment-complex.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook&fbclid=IwAR35lYP8cJkrr7rXJNygGJdt944AfPXIdwzgJNCsYOcN7tJPrCdLByQh_5w
    NIMBYs are in no way unique to Limerick. It's a national problem.

NIMBYs are in no way unique to Limerick. It's a national problem.

true, but Limerick is the only city that has not built an apartment block in the last 12 years.

true, but Limerick is the only city that has not built an apartment block in the last 12 years.
    That's not down to NIMBYs though. And very few apartment blocks have been built anywhere other than Dublin in recent years due to the costs of building them. Recently in Cork a developer decided to change a 25 storey riverside apartment block he has permission for into a 17 storey office block. It's not financially viable to build apartment blocks outside of Dublin.

It's not financially viable to build apartment blocks outside of Dublin.

Housing finance favours houses over apartments in this country as the building can be spread out over phases and the costs can be recouped as the project develops. Its financially more secure, but slower and more costly. It is incorrect to state that it is not financially viable to build apartments outside of Dublin, we just have a poor housing finance model in Ireland.

as a side note though, it is odd that Limerick stands out as the only city in Ireland that has not had any apartment developments in the last 12 years or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

as a side note though, it is odd that Limerick stands out as the only city in Ireland that has not had any apartment developments in the last 12 years or so.

Or indeed any development whatsoever aside from the odd batch of Semi-D's in Mungret or Castletroy. Despite the "unprecedented renaissance" that Limerick is apparently undergoing according to Limerick Council, the city centre in particular is littered with underused sites, vacant sites and derelict sites. Aside from a couple of small scale renovation projects there is no significant private investment or activity happening. The fact that the Bishop's Quay office and apartment scheme still hasn't got going 5 years after initially being proposed speaks volumes about how dysfunctional the situation is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭manna452121

The people are worried about the height of the crane during construction http://eplan.limerick.ie/iDocsWebDPSS/ViewFiles.aspx?docid=1272228&format=jpeg Our local TD Willie o Dea also has an objection with the building even when he was envolved in a nearby housing site.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭sleepyman

Vanquished wrote: »
    Or indeed any development whatsoever aside from the odd batch of Semi-D's in Mungret or Castletroy. Despite the "unprecedented renaissance" that Limerick is apparently undergoing according to Limerick Council, the city centre in particular is littered with underused sites, vacant sites and derelict sites. Aside from a couple of small scale renovation projects there is no significant private investment or activity happening. The fact that the Bishop's Quay office and apartment scheme still hasn't got going 5 years after initially being proposed speaks volumes about how dysfunctional the situation is here.

Yeah I wonder what the situation with that is?Is there no finance to actually built it?Will it be a site we'll still be talking about in 5 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

The people are worried about the height of the crane during construction http://eplan.limerick.ie/iDocsWebDPSS/ViewFiles.aspx?docid=1272228&format=jpeg Our local TD Willie o Dea also has an objection with the building even when he was envolved in a nearby housing site.

I can't open the link but from what I recall from the objections I did read, it is Coonagh airfield who are worried about the crane height - so a valid point for them.

From the objections submitted, there seems to be a number of discrepancies in the application submitted in so far as they have overrun the actual land of the site and encroached onto public land. The objectors in the main are concerned with the volume of traffic during and after construction using what is undeniably, a small country lane onto a recently narrowed Clonmacken Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭source

sleepyman wrote: »
    Yeah I wonder what the situation with that is?Is there no finance to actually built it?Will it be a site we'll still be talking about in 5 years?

It was discussed on here a while back, someone said they've gone back to planning again to increase the decreased "tower" section of the plans back up to sky 10 storeys I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭manna452121

I can't open the link but from what I recall from the objections I did read, it is Coonagh airfield who are worried about the crane height - so a valid point for them.

From the objections submitted, there seems to be a number of discrepancies in the application submitted in so far as they have overrun the actual land of the site and encroached onto public land. The objectors in the main are concerned with the volume of traffic during and after construction using what is undeniably, a small country lane onto a recently narrowed Clonmacken Road.
    Sorry about the link.It is the people from the airfield that are worried about the crane height.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Since when has clonmaken road been narrowed?

source wrote: »
    It was discussed on here a while back, someone said they've gone back to planning again to increase the decreased "tower" section of the plans back up to sky 10 storeys I think.
    That was given permission. They were supposed to start the basement works anyway as that wasn't changing under their revised application.

However all they did was put up hoarding before Christmas. I've seen nobody on site since on essential building was allowed to return a month ago.

Since when has clonmaken road been narrowed?
    I think they're referring to the bollards being put along the edge of the cycle lanes. The road hasn't been narrowed, you're just not able to drive on the cycle lane now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Ya the cycle lanes narrowed it considerably. The same lanes they forgot to sweep before they put in the bollards and now they can't get the sweeper into them so when they swept the road last week, a load of debris and small stones were thrown into the cycle lane. Between that and the drain covers, find them unfit for purpose

Advertisement