Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Ya the cycle lanes narrowed it considerably. The same lanes they forgot to sweep before they put in the bollards and now they can't get the sweeper into them so when they swept the road last week, a load of debris and small stones were thrown into the cycle lane. Between that and the drain covers, find them unfit for purpose

It is referenced in the leader article also:

"The latter group’s chair, Pat O’Neill said: “Currently we have a sub standard design of the Clonmacken road which poses major safety issues with the amount and positioning of the bollards and to allow more traffic would be totally unacceptable.”

You would imagine if objectors were worried about traffic they would be in favour of infrastructure which could potentially reduce traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Pat O'Neill is some laugh!

there are no issues with regards the bollards, they are actually there to protect cyclists and even better prevent parking during match days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

well there are issues with the bollards - they keep debris inside into the lane which for a motorist wouldn't be a problem but for a cyclist, a puncture can easily happen on the small debris. They also are badly designed for a cyclist going from Dunnes direction towards Tesco - there is no allowance made for the cyclist to get out of the lane unless you dismount and then end up in the wrong lane going around the roundabout. The last section of cycle lane heading towards Dunnes is dodgy due to the drains slap bang in the middle of them.

I agree they will be great on big match days whenever they come back as at least traffic and emergency services should be able to navigate safely enough

well there are issues with the bollards - they keep debris inside into the lane which for a motorist wouldn't be a problem but for a cyclist, a puncture can easily happen on the small debris.

Does no one in the Council own a sweeping brush?!

Does no one in the Council own a sweeping brush?!

I'm sure they do but not for sweeping anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I'm sure they do but not for sweeping anyway

Thems leaning brushes :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

well there are issues with the bollards - they keep debris inside into the lane which for a motorist wouldn't be a problem but for a cyclist, a puncture can easily happen on the small debris. They also are badly designed for a cyclist going from Dunnes direction towards Tesco - there is no allowance made for the cyclist to get out of the lane unless you dismount and then end up in the wrong lane going around the roundabout. The last section of cycle lane heading towards Dunnes is dodgy due to the drains slap bang in the middle of them.

I agree they will be great on big match days whenever they come back as at least traffic and emergency services should be able to navigate safely enough

Report it to the council, they usually will send someone to deal with debris if you log a call. They really should do this at the same time as regular cleaning, without having to be asked - but they usually are good to deal with an issue if reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭manna452121

Mc Love wrote: »
    Pat O'Neill is some laugh!

there are no issues with regards the bollards, they are actually there to protect cyclists and even better prevent parking during match days
    New footpath put down in front of Cluan Dara next to cycle lane/bollards but they left one section untouched,maybe Pat o Neill missed it while sweeping the road or when he is out walking with Willie o Dea.

mdmix wrote: »
    Report it to the council, they usually will send someone to deal with debris if you log a call. They really should do this at the same time as regular cleaning, without having to be asked - but they usually are good to deal with an issue if reported.

I've done this, twice. Sent them some photos too Got a case number and a promise to look into it. I know another people who also reported it. It was also reported on Fix My Street too. It's obviously not a priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,062 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Vanquished wrote: »
    Or indeed any development whatsoever aside from the odd batch of Semi-D's in Mungret or Castletroy. Despite the "unprecedented renaissance" that Limerick is apparently undergoing according to Limerick Council, the city centre in particular is littered with underused sites, vacant sites and derelict sites. Aside from a couple of small scale renovation projects there is no significant private investment or activity happening. The fact that the Bishop's Quay office and apartment scheme still hasn't got going 5 years after initially being proposed speaks volumes about how dysfunctional the situation is here.

Ive been to Dublin and Cork recently and Cork has a few but also has plenty of building sites and new buildings. Dublin is a joke though yes its got some new builds but a shocking amount of empty sites right in the centre of a city that has a housing and a traffic crisis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭sleepyman

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Ive been to Dublin and Cork recently and Cork has a few but also has plenty of building sites and new buildings. Dublin is a joke though yes its got some new builds but a shocking amount of empty sites right in the centre of a city that has a housing and a traffic crisis

It just seems things get announced again and again.How long will it take the council to get going on the Cleeves site?Why has the rowing club building still have no roof how many years on?How much longer will it take UL to get going on the Dunnes site?
    Than there's the Opera Centre-can't understand why it takes 12 months for stabilisation works and demolition.It's not a twin Towers site.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

sleepyman wrote: »
    It just seems things get announced again and again.How long will it take the council to get going on the Cleeves site?Why has the rowing club building still have no roof how many years on?How much longer will it take UL to get going on the Dunnes site?
    Than there's the Opera Centre-can't understand why it takes 12 months for stabilisation works and demolition.It's not a twin Towers site.
    The rowing club is a private entity who can't afford to replace the roof. They've been fundraising to raise the money.

UL were in front of the Public Accounts Committee yesterday admitting that there was no financial oversight with regards to their purchase of that site and that they massively overpaid for it. Questions have to be answered. They did say however that the current building will be in use in September and that a masterplan for the site will be released soon.

And the opera site will take 12 months because that's how long it takes to do that work in an area where most of the old architecturally important buildings have to be retained and stabilised. It's not just a demo job and the site is nearly 4 acres.

The three projects are all being run by different entities, so you can't lump them in together and say is a Limerick thing. It's not that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Actually 12 months for the amount of demolition and preservation work to be carried out on the opera site is very reasonable imo. Isn't it great to see work progressing on this key urban site.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭sleepyman

Glenomra wrote: »
    Actually 12 months for the amount of demolition and preservation work to be carried out on the opera site is very reasonable imo. Isn't it great to see work progressing on this key urban site.

It is in fairness.I was just having a rant!!
    I guess it's just taken a long time to get round.
    Possibly because it was dependent on EIB funding.
    I just feel the potential of the city is not being fully realised.
    I know the Council don't own them but I despair at the state of some of the Georgian buildings.
    It shouldn't fall on Limerick Civic Trust to clean a few weeks etc-that's not a costly exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Dereliction, decay and vacancy levels are a huge issue in cities and towns across Ireland not just Limerick. Ironically the starkest illustration of this is in the environs of O'Connell Street in Dublin: what should be the country's premier streetscape. My point was primarily around the lack of development and activity in Limerick city centre since the economy rebounded in the last 5 or 6 years. Cork by contrast has seen a reasonably significant degree of commercial development in their docklands area in that time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The pending transfer of King John's castle to Limerick Council will present an opportunity for the local authority to fully exploit the potential of the site, always secondary with Shannon Heritage to Bunratty etc., and proceed to develop a 'medieval quarter' in Nicholas Street. Am I overly optimistic...

The pending transfer of King John's castle to Limerick Council will present an opportunity for the local authority to fully exploit the potential of the site, always secondary with Shannon Heritage to Bunratty etc., and proceed to develop a 'medieval quarter' in Nicholas Street. Am I overly optimistic...

The worry is that funding now becomes political. Ide rather the council over Shannon Heritage but only if there are very very long term funding commitments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

What has stopped the Council developing the ‘medieval quarter’ already?

I wouldn’t trust the council to run a bath these days, let alone a tourist attraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

What has stopped the Council developing the ‘medieval quarter’ already?

I wouldn’t trust the council to run a bath these days, let alone a tourist attraction.

Exactly, you've a castle at one end and a cathedral at the other end of a street that's what 300m long. Anywhere else and they'd have it a popular tourist area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭sioda

Shannon Heritage weren't great but my massive concern is that there is no-one on the council with the slightest idea how to run a tourist site at all.

It's not just about making money but preserving our history.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

I wonder would a directly elected mayor be able to expidite ideas and plans like this to create something better for the area?

We would have more atonomy as a city with a directly elected mayor to be able to make decisions for the city

sioda wrote: »
    Shannon Heritage weren't great but my massive concern is that there is no-one on the council with the slightest idea how to run a tourist site at all.

It's not just about making money but preserving our history.

Is there anyone they can bring in to run it like Heritage Ireland or the group that run the national museums

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Toffeeboy

Maybe Shannon heritage could run it? They have the expertise. What do the council know about running a tourist site? They will probably just outsource it also.
    Anyone know why Shannon heritage is being split up? Bunratty moving to clare cc.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

Expect a number of reports to be published over the next decade about “the potential for king John’s castle to be a world class tourist destination“. Once the steering committee is formed and then dissolved by the council a new tourist strategy will define king John’s castle as the “heart of Medieval Limerick”. While the tourist strategy will never be implemented it will form a he basis for the EY report into the castles potential that the council will pursue once the new city tourism chief has been appointed without the role being advertised or interviews being held.

Contracts will be signed between the city and a developer to “realise the full the potential for king John’s castle to be a world class tourist destination in the heart of Medieval Limerick”. The next Decade will be a series of announcements about how work is due to start “imminently“, although in the end all hopes for the castle will need to be abandoned as the castle and the wider city will be fully submerged in the sea as there were similar delays in the tidal defences promised to the city.

Ironically, without doing anything the whole king John’s visitor experience will be completely redefined as a new scuba diving attraction with daily tours from the cities of Nenagh and Ennis.

Toffeeboy wrote: »
    Maybe Shannon heritage could run it? They have the expertise. What do the council know about running a tourist site? They will probably just outsource it also.
    Anyone know why Shannon heritage is being split up? Bunratty moving to clare cc.

They are linked to Shannon Airport which has practically bankrupt them. They threatened to close John's for good during lockdown

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

They are linked to Shannon Airport which has practically bankrupt them. They threatened to close John's for good during lockdown

They are also linked to Shannon Commercial Properties which is very profitable. There was a risk of all the heritage sites closing during lockdown, personally I think the local councils having control is a good thing, if nothing else it removes the thoughts that certain locations are look at less favourably than others.

Clareman wrote: »
    They are also linked to Shannon Commercial Properties which is very profitable. There was a risk of all the heritage sites closing during lockdown, personally I think the local councils having control is a good thing, if nothing else it removes the thoughts that certain locations are look at less favourably than others.

It seemed like Shannon Heritage were holding it hostage during lockdown. Overall heritage sites are better off with fully non profit groups so it's probably a good thing

In my opinion this is a wonderful opportunity for Limerick city. For understandable reasons shannon heritage had little interest in encouraging visitors to spend time or money in the city. They constantly 'pushed ' visitors to bunratty. They are a commercial company and needed to pay salaries etc. Virtually all European cities that are fortunate enough to have a city castle own and manage the site. It's part of their heritage/infrastructure. If galway or cork had a comparable castle they would fully exploit it. Limerick has an opportunity of developing a wonderful tourist area encompassing the castle, St. Mary's cathedral and the Hunt museum. The city museum could be housed in the castle. More room and would enhance both the museum and the castle. I know that many people will have doubts about the capacity of the council to develop same bbut they will have the opportunity. Maybe if they did something similar to Limerick 2030, a separate agency, it might pay dividends. Just my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

In my opinion when a group has to look after multiple things they will always be accused of prioritizing 1 over another, children will always say that their parents love the other children more, by having control handed over to a local authority will mean that more focus might be given to each individual site.

Advertisement