Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

https://www.live95fm.ie/news/live95-news/revolutionary-plans-could-transform-commute-from-dooradoyle-to-limerick-city/

• Registered Users Posts: 26,050 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Can't see it happening. Personally I would love 2 way cycling on the SCR but no way people are gonna lose their parking. As for "shared space" that's practically the same fake bill sht "cycling infrastructure" I saw in London but called "quiet ways" over there. Can't see how any cyclists will feel safer because the road is coloured brown.

To be fair it's only shared space from the bridge to Fennesseys and segregated the rest of the way. Also removing traffic travelling towards town for much of its length will significantly reduce the amount of traffic currently seen on SCR.

As for parking, the majority of the houses that are losing on street parking from this plan have off-street parking either at the front or rear of their properties. But I agree that if enough residents shout about it the council are likely to shelve it.

The only part I don't like is replacing the roundabout at Fennesseys with a signalised junction, the traffic won't flow as freely.

I didn't know the SCR houses past Mary I had rear parking. A contraflow lane would be great at that section and currently I turn there and waste my time turning back so go straight at Punches all the way to the Crescent.

Yup, with the exception of the houses on the left between Quin St and Gerard St they all (with one or 2 exceptions) have someplace that would work.

Slightly more inconvenient, but definitely possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭OO7FITZY

any information around upgraded links between UL/Castletroy to city center - remember seeing something about end to end bike lanes and a dedicated bus corridor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭adaminho

Dunnes/UL Sarsfield Street. Looks stunning, it's amazing how much Limerick could be transformed by a simple coat of paint!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭geotrig

building is still an eyesore but its a vast improvement for one anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭sleepyman

Much progress on the new bus Station?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

No. They seem to be doing the new car park first.

• Advertisement

I thought the new car park was gonna be the old bus station ?

It'll be way down the back passed the current bus station. If you look up at the old railway bridge embankment on Careys Rd you'll see that they've put concrete fencing up. That's part of the new car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I think the plan is when the new station building is ready, the car park (by Carey’s road/where the buses currently park) can be used straight away freeing up the temporary car park to be used as an entrance/exit by buses. The work on this entrance is already underway at the Roxboro Road site.

Theyre still doing groundworks to the north of the existing station building where the new bus station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

Is there a link to the overall plan for the new station?

I think it's this one https://maps.limerick.ie/planningenquiry

Planning ref: 141029

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭topcat72

https://play.acast.com/s/live-95-limerick-today-podcasts/doubt-over-anchor-tenant-for-limericks-opera-project - Not the most ringing endorsement by the junior minister for plans for the Opera Centre. And a new planning application? More delay incoming. Very little to no movement onsite since the early spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

From what I remember the revenue are moving to the tower block which I don't think is due to start construction until after the basement and the office building nearest the market. It might not actually affect the overall timeline if a planning application is required as other elements of the development could be built while a decision is made.

The bigger question is what should the 2030 group do? 3 options-

They could continue as planned and hope that another tenant can be found for the surplus floorspace. Thar would only require minor changes and could be easy enough to do. You'd also like to think that the city centre is attractive enough to potential tenants but I'm not sure thats the case.

They could apply to reduce the floorspace of the tower, ie. knock 5 floors off of it. This would be incredibly disappointing and a terrible indictment of the 2030 group and the city as a whole. Again, a planning application wouldn't be too difficult to get through and wouldn't impact too much on the timeline.

The third option would be a major redesign to provide for alternative uses. Retail wouldn't be suitable due to the location and relatively small footprint. There will be widespread calls for residential uses and ideally this would happen. But I'm not sure that converting the top 5 floors to apartments is doable or feasible. Modern office buildings have large floor plans that aren't easily converted to residential use due to the lack of daylight reaching into the building. It would also mean adding balconies, separate access cores, parking, etc. It's not impossible to do but it would need a lot of extra time and given the cost of building I don't think it would be affordable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

A compromise that might satisfy the public as well as the banks is a reduction of the tower to 6 floors or so combined with a redevelopment of the existing revenue building as an apartment block for affordable rentals. There has been no official confirmation of what's actually planned for this building and a commitment to constructing high quality apartments within it could go a long way to rectifying a major flaw with the current Opera centre plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tommy249

Does anyone know who purchased the old Debenhams building and what their plan is with is?

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭godfrey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Brian Leddin announced this morning that Moyross will get a train station with 9 services each way per day and the journey to take 9 mins to/from Colbert Stations.

I think they will need to include a Park and Ride facility there too.

A park and ride for who? Who needs to go to Colbert Station from Moyross? Most people don't work or go to school/college in the city center.

The 9 services just means that the Limerick to Ennis train will stop there.

Personally I'm delighted but as it stands that train is slower than the now very good 303 bus to town.Outside of people living in Ennis and Sixmilebridge who are going to TUS I don't really see who it benefits.

There is a chance that this won't actually be in Moyross at all. A lot of Coonagh Cross stuff and anything on the new ring road is getting called investment in Moyross by politicians.

If it was outside Moyross in the middle of a brand new development that would be good.

I'm delighted though that we are finally looking at trains as a commuter service rather than just a way to get to Dublin. Cork and Galway are already way ahead of us and the fact Limerick only has 2 stations (I know some Clare and Tipp stations benefit Limerick) is a bit of a joke.

Anyone coming in from East Clare could use the P&R and travel the "last mile" by public transport.

Good thinking. Especially if they expand the Leap Card system like they have in Cork.

Or bring a bike on the train which will get you to town as quick as the bus.

Actually, when the complete the current phase of the LNDR the station and P&R could be a huge asset to commuters from all of Clare.

If they're going to the city center. Not much use to those going to Plassey/UL or Raheen where the majority will be going.

I'm well aware of that but every car you can take out of the city is a car out of the city. There's something using the car parks and on street parking in town so they're not all going out to Raheen and UL.

Not every piece of transport can be about getting people to those 2 places.

Ideally they would build a whole new track and station at UL and build a Raheen stop on a new West Limerick line but it's not a case of either those or Moyross.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

New Bishops Quay Renders

Advertisement