Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,053 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

People already live all over the "nightclub quarter"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

Whatever happened to the proposal to build over the stone mill building on henry st? It was floating around a while ago but lost traction again, something similar could work for this possibly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭adaminho

The council has applied to take over the former Cahills pub on Mulgrave Street under the derelict sites act.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭chicorytip

The former West End bar on O'Curry St. similarly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

I think it got nicknamed the stamper.

The the look of a stationary stamper about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

25 Apartments on the old site of Shannonside Kitchens

No objections from locals

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Application (2360345) submitted to LCCC for 8-storey apartment block on Upper Mallow Street (Reeve's Path).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Youth Hostel is a good idea. Limerick doesn't have one.

So many tourists pass by or near Limerick.

This would draw people in to the city to stay a night or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Surprised the railway hotel hasn't been converted into one yet... Big trick being missed there!

The Globe was supposed to become one at one stage after it closed a a pub for the last time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

There's planning in to convert it to student accommodation.

Shock horror, O'Connell St wasn't finished by the end of May and the new official completion date is now 'mid June'.

Say a lovely one today. Guy driving up the bus lane beeping at someone for being parked in the bus lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭boetstark

Very easy for you to call people nimbys. I would call them ordinary decent people that are sick of this carry on.

We paid alot of money for our house in raheen 20 years ago. A new developement has got permission right behind us. Terrace houses and apartments to ease the homeless crisis.

We want to move but almost 100k has been wiped off value of our house because of this developement and an imposed walkway from it right outside our door. It was a cul de sac.

Everyday cars , windows and garden furniture getting covered in construction dust despite being cleaned only last week again.

So forgive me if i am a nimby or a complainer because this **** is hitting me in the pocket and thats not hearsay.

Sick to the teeth of this dump of a country

Boo hoo. You live in a city. Development happens. Where you live was a field too, probably only 30 or 40 years ago.

The idea that people living in a city are sick of development happening near them is laughable. Don't live in a city if you don't want development.

And as for your dump of a country comment, what you're experiencing is not in any way unique to Ireland. Development happens everywhere. Disruption during construction happens everywhere.

Then there's your comment on the development being given permission to ease the homeless crisis? Where do you want them to be built? Let me guess. Not in your backyard.

I actually just don't believe a word of that stuff about the value of your house.

Really. We changed mortgage provider in 2019 and the valuer appointed by bank put a value of 475k on the house.

We have got a valuation by a well known estate agent on o connell street and she valued house at 390k. Purely because she will have have to declare developement to our rear and a walkway in front of our cul de sac.

So i really dont give a crap what you do and dont believe. That is our current reality.

Would you like to see photos of our garden furniture and garden room covered in construction dust or maybe you dont buy that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭HGVRHKYY

How much was your house 20 years ago and how much is it worth now? Surely it has appreciated a lot?

Another issue in Ireland is you have people expecting their houses to continue rapidly appreciating in value, as if that's sustainable, even when the increase fat outpaces salary increases. Each year we live in a home, the home is more used and worn and requires more investment from prospective buyers to bring it to modern standards also

I agree. The house was bought for 167k but i reckon over at least100k has been spent since.

We love our house and area but are not willing to risk what it will be like in 10 years time.

It was a very quiet area on outskirts of city in a quiet cul de sac. Ok i understand houses need to be built but this permeability crap driven by the green party. Walkway , cycleways through estates will be a haven for trouble.

Also they are building huge schemes of houses without a single facility or infrastructure for kids especially. All you get are these retarded buzzwords , strengthening social fabrics , vibrant diversity , social cross community buy in , vomit inducing claptrap. We all see how moyross and southill ended up.

Sure if they built a park for kids NIMBYs like you would call them "a haven for trouble"

Also you house which is the "edge of town" was once the new development built on what was the old edge of town but I'de say you have no sympathy for the people who used to be the "edge of town"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭geotrig

everything you say is exactly what a nimby is to me , I understand your frustration but as stated if you buy in the city /estate these thing can and will be happen .

access of cycleways /walkways is a positive

also on the value of your house they go up and down for loads of reasons,I personaly think the youth buying seem to prefer to want new builds over old houses anyway you bought for 167 +100k reno and now conservatively worth 390 , that doesnt sound like losing money to me or hitting you in the pocket ..you cant loose what you never had !! many a persons house have devalued over the years .mine is only now getting close to the x00k* I bought it at pre crash and even at that may still be under what i originally payed. houses due to be built close buy which will affect it increasing as well but once they are built well i dont really care.i bought it as a home and not an investment.

Moyross and Southhill have had many problems ,some of issues I think get jumped on more than other's and don't really reflect the real reasons of issues if you ask me other private estates didn't have facilites or better infastructure but faired just grand

Anyone pretending a private estate is gonna become the next Moyross because of a lack of facilities is 100% NIMBYing.

Of course when you have to use that term your counter arguement must be pretty weak. I always find that the people using the term nimby dont have any empathy because invariably they dont own anything themselves which they wish to maintain.

Also the Grange was and is a low density developement of 26 units per hectare much like othe developments in the area.

All the new developments are 48 to 52 units per hectare. High density cheap housing to give free houses to the masses.

Anyway hoping to get out of here before it turns into a s##thole. And out of this country within next 10 years.

I have loads of empathy. Mostly reserved for a generation priced out of homes by people who's primary concern is to boast about the value of theirs.

Really hope you get out of here soon too 👍

Enjoy whatever perfect nirvana of a country you end up in.

At least your honest that is about maintaining a perceived value in your area and personal possesion.i.e house It really annoys me when I see objections with all these faux concerns sited.

also I use the term "nimby" its a perfectly valid term , I have a property that wish to maintain and would like to see gain or maintain its value at least but as i pointed out its a home foremost.

But to me a nimby is a person who just objects to something without a rational reason. I have a very rational reasoning for objecting to these huge high density developements happening on our doorstep. This is a very settled area with low density housing , roads , public transport and amenities are perfect for the area. This area didnt even need a community Garda presence.

Now our situation is roads are starting to choke , dust covering all our properties not to mention being inhaled. Our local shop now closes at 10pm mostly due to anti social activity and shoplifting since our recent brand new 100% social housing scheme. Local bars now have security on doors at weekends. I could go on and on but also cannot mention one positive aspect to all these new developements. And not even half of these are built yet. An area near us where medical professionals built dream forever homes , out of nine , four have been vacated and sold.

With regard to walkways , they are closing them at a rate of knots all over old raheen and gouldavoher due to anti social activity but LCC insist on establishing them in other areas. Walkways are fine if we lived in a responsible law abiding society , but we dont.

And LCC , Planners , NTA , Green Party and Housing Minister are presiding over all this crap. They make decisions that will never have an impact on their lives only other fools like ourselves.

Re your point on house prices. I never bought this house as an investment. It is a family home. But i feel we are being forced to move on because our living environment is about to take a nosedive.

I think its unfair to label somebody with the term nimby , just because a far lesser quality of life is being imposed on us. Democracy ???

You are in The Grange which is a new development and you can't see that you are exactly what you are protesting against now. You bought in an area everybody round here knows is gonna continue to grow.

It's called "pulling up the drawbridge" and it's exactly what you are doing.

As i said previously. The Grange and many like it are low to middle density housing.

What is being built now in the hundreds are high density cheap housing that will completely change this area for the worse.

Also the amount of unemployed being handed houses is an absolute disgrace.

I understand your frustration I've known people who were ran/or were run out of their homes because of a changing enviroments and other reasons

A lot of the issues you site seems to be stem from an area that has been expanding for years and was bound to happen in the surrounding areas your area is changing as outlined on the doctors forever homes estate ,this happens everywhere if you ask me ,places go through a golden patch of been sought after some more that others , the lawless and antisocial issue which drives me nuts isn't unique to your area or even Ireland for that matter but i'm note sure not building these house stops that .

Take this as a good sign and you can now see that you would like to be somewhere quieter maybe more rural with a larger garden etc better views it could be the best thing and you'd wonder why you didnt do it years ago. Your are in a good position your house has increased in value and is in a sought after area and will more than likely sell quiet quickly for over the estate agent valuation ,remember the estates agent valuation could be cautious due to the higher interest rates increases we are all seeing the last year so disposable income will affect house prices etc so anyone buying has higher payments to make and have to take that into consideration.

I wouldn't take NiMBY personal, its a term that describes us all at times as we all have something that we don't want built close to us at times

• Advertisement

So hoping that a certain standard of living which we bought into a number of years back is maintaintained.

I can go out my back garden and bbq and eat out in this beautiful weather.

Our windows and cars can be washed and remain relatively clean for a week or so.

Losing all of the above are faux concerns.

If the area that you bought your home turned into a crap area , house prices nosedived , anti social activity etc. It wouldnt bother you because you have your home.

Advertisement