Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭boetstark

My god you are slow.

Experience being in an ambulance that cannot get through traffic because cycle lanes blocked by bollards and kerbs. You see if traffic is heavy in both directions no room for cars to pull in to the side.

Its like being back in school again

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It's nowhere near high density, however I do stand slightly corrected. According to the RIAI 48 to 52 units would actually be medium density which they state is between 35 and 80 units per hectare. The planning docs say 45 units per hectare BTW with 17% of the site being open space.

Medium density is standard practice in places like Sweden, Denmark, Finland, the Netherlands, Germany, Australia and New Zealand.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭boetstark

Ok so take a median figure of your definition of medium density.

60 units per ha equates to 60 units per 1750 approx square feet. A very average 3 bed semi is lets say 1000 square feet , and that would be very small. That would leave 700 square feet of outdoor space , driveway back garden.

Ridiculous stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Can we move from the the back and forth over this particular estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭geotrig

So your concerned about the size of them now, ? 🤔 I'm sure if or when those kids play in said green someone wouldn't be long running them as happens in a lot of estates, I believe I could be wrong but most public greens in private estates are nearly all maintained by the committee as waiting for the council to do would never happen so cutting your estates public grass area is the same as most estates around .

Honestly I read through a good amount of planning application" and by no means am I any type of expert "to see mostly the objections and they nearly always read the same, with similar reasons to what most have said in your estate, and from what I could see there is more access planned, an estate was approved near me and we had the same type of objections going in.

You also through in about who is going to reside their, and honestly that is a totally seperate matter to this estate being built and one you should be engaging with local politicians on to hopefully

You've also suggest anything you've spent on your house was a waste because of a previous speculative valuation which is a very dangerous game and again 167+100 = 267 a hell of a lot less than the 390 value

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Formation Homes building social houses in castletroy

While the new homes are great news surely having TDs Willie O Dea and Batt O'Keefe on the board of directors of the company that will profit most from these social homes is a massive conflict of interest

Interestingly their Irish address is the same as Lonadale, the crowd involved in the Greenfields/Childers Road development that Willie O Dea himself has objected to... All very strange if you ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭LeoD

"permeability crap driven by the green party"

Hate to bust your anti-Green Party bubble but that "permeability crap" comes from the Design Manual of Urban Roads and Streets which was launched by a FG/Labour government in 2013. There were precisely zero Green Party TDs back then but shur fire ahead, blame them for it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭sleepyman

Have to say the pedestrianisation is a bit of a let down.Also it looks incredibly dirty already.

It's not in any way a pedestrianisation. There is still a road going through it.

There's supposed to be a regular council cleaning schedule in place whenever it's finally finished. They claim it's can't start until the works are finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭AnonZen

I take it if they're talking about replacing individual slabs this is more 'stuff spilled on the ground' rather than a general uniform layer of grime?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,052 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

"Potentially" is the big word in that statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

Some updates on projects around SCR from Joe Leddin.

Edit: I've no idea why they uploaded sideways and I've no time to find out. I'm sure you all will work it out

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭rathfarnhamlad

Am I mistaken/thinking about some place else or was the reason (or part of the reason) that the racecourse moved from Greenpark was because the land was liable to flood?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭djdunny

Driven through town a few times in the past few days and noticed cars in the left hand lane of O’Connell street (outside the chicken hut), with their intention of driving straight on. But should all cars be in the right hand lane (bar buses, taxis etc)?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Tefral

A friend of mine had this as an issue with her Driving Test. She got a mark against her for driving in the right lane when she was going straight on. I dunno what to make of that one. I guess they are right but you are allowed go straight on in the right hand lane too as O'Connell street after the Roches Junction is 2 lanes.

Maybe im wrong.

Isn't the left lane a bus lane all the way to Cecil St? That was the plan anyway. If so, there is no left turn possible at the Roches St Junstion so all traffic should be in the right lane.

That driving tester shouldn't be in a job if they're marking someone down for not driving in the bus lane.

Ends at the Cecil st. junction but just like everything else it works off the honour system and has zero enforcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

I don't actually think it's been officially designated as a bus lane yet. I assume there wasn't much point until the lanes were finished and no more random closures of each were happening

It has bus lane written all over it. I don't know how legal that is but 90% of car drivers seem to think it is.

It was always gonna happen. You see prcks do it on the Dublin quays too. This along with illegal parking, idiots walking on the cycle lane and moron cycling the wrong way on the cycle lanes were always going to be inevitable issues thanks to the stupidity and selfishness of humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Yeah they've signs up outside Brown Thomas that says Bus Lane 24hrs. Made the mistake of driving through town early Friday afternoon and the amount of cars in the left lane at the William St junction going straight on and trying to force their way into the right lane was a joke. Should look at cameras for that bus lane which captures cars that decide to use the left lane when passing through the lights at William St, Roches St, and Cecil St junctions. You'd easily make your money back on what it costs to install them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Buses/Taxis in the bus lane on Roches St and trying to turn right onto Shannon Street are as guilty of blocking traffic on the bus lane as much as any car driving on the bus lane

No they are not because one is actually guilty of something and the other isn't.

Which buses turn off O'Connell st. onto Shannon st. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

An awful lot of sniping on this thread.

Getting boring now

Whether they're turning legally or driving illegally they're having the same impact, traffic backlogged on the bus lane.

As for your last question - I didn't take the bus number but I've seen it happen twice in the last week or so.

It's not the same because one belongs there and the other doesn't. A bus isnt "blocking" the bus lane it is using the bus lane. A car using the bus lane is blocking the bus lane.

As for taxis I don't understand why they are allowed use a bus lane at all but that's a conversation for somewhere else.

Think the 305 turns there in terms of buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

305 is the Lynnwood Park to St Mary's Park I believe so wouldn't use the bus lane on O'Connell St. Would come down Roches St onto Shannon St.

A car driving along a bus lane is certainly not blocking the lane in the same manner that a bus is, when it's stopped in the left lane but attempting to turn right.

A very simple solution would be a yield sign on the right lane to allow buses enter the right lane to turn right

But our planners decided to put a continuous white line there so currently buses can't enter the right lane without breaking the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

That would have nothing to do with planners. That's a transport engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

The designated bus lane ends just beyond the bus stop after the Cecil Street junction.

• Advertisement

Ah. That wasn't there the last time I passed.

Bus stop got extended too. Some of the older ones are gas as they are the exact size of a bus. The Roches st. one would require the bus to crab walk into the stop.

Advertisement