Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭boetstark

Anti social activities, not amenities.

Unfortunately as a local authority has a disproportionately high ratio of unemployed compared to affordable families on the social housing list. Alot of these problem families are being dumped in the general raheen mungret area

• Registered Users Posts: 26,050 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Some people go on about it like it's a high end restaurant. It's grand but I was fairly disappointed based on the raving about it.

It's high end compared to Hungry Lyons, it's a burger place... nothing special about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭geotrig

Anyway I think that render looks nice and having properties close to the industrial park is a no brainer

• Advertisement

My only complaint is we are still allowing these things to be built with no cycle lanes. Might as well put it in even if it's only for a short stretch rather than tearing it all up in the future.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The council already have plans to put cycle lanes in from the Raheen Roundabout to the Quins Cross Roundabout. The Part 8 went through last year.

But would that not only be one side of it ?

Lots of green area all around the site that could be used to get you all the way into the parking area.

AFAIR a single segregated lane either side of the road is the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭LeoD

Nice balcony space to watch and listen to the 1000's of cars and trucks circulating Raheen roundabout. Got to admire the b**ls on developers to propose this kind of stuff.

• Advertisement

Why? Propose what kind of stuff? It seems to be a fairly standard apartment block to me. There are plenty of apartment blocks around that face onto a road. And outside of the morning and evening rush hour, the Raheen roundabout is no busier than any other roundabout.

Ide rather have a balcony on a busy road than have no balcony.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

It looks like they are proposing to put bollards down the length of the entrance road forcing all traffic to go down to little roundabout and back up if you are going to shops.

Not sure how they expect any of delivery tucks to turn around there especially centra's own big delivery trucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

The Leader are reporting that Flan Costello is applying for permission to construct a tourist hostel above the Milk Market bar on Mungret Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭sioda

Would be great to have one but the "a hostel for Limerick" thing has been going on as long as the "M&S for Limerick" story.

Article says he got planning permission for it twice before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Actually genuinely interested in those apartments, did someone say there is a leisure center being built as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭adaminho

Every street and footpath in Limerick is a scrambler lane! A cycle lane isn't going to make a difference!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Mod note: read the first post and understand the rules of this thread thank you.

"It is also not a place to engage in council/goverment bashing. It's just a thread where people can let the rest of us know if there is any movement on some projects."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,200 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Yeah but when you build a lane specifically for the scrambler bikes to use they tend to actually use them a lot more... The lane on Hyde Road/Avenue being a good example

To be completely fair though if they are taking scramblers off footpaths it's not an auful result

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,200 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Fair enough

I have tried to edit my post to remove the last line but it failed??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

Approval has been given for a garda station in Castletroy. The next step is finding a suitable site.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 rdser

I hadnt been in Limerick for a while until last weekend. The amount of work going on around the city is pretty impressive.

There is cranes all over the place and seems to be a lot of work on all sides of the city, and aside from damaged bollards O'Connel Street looks 10 times better than it was.

One question though...the road in from the Shannon side is appalling...from Shiels garage into Coonagh is a mess and not particularly inviting which is a bit crap for the main road in from the Airport. I know TUS are going in there somewhere, and theres another petrol station under construction but the other buildings around there are woeful....including the Warehouses/retail park that were never finished that are still sitting there unfinished

Are there any plans to improve that area does anyone know?

It's pretty normal for the approach to a city to be nothing but ugly industrial sites.

If you build up Coonagh roundabout all you will get is the same thing further out.

Overall I would say Limerick is experiencing a similar construction "boom" relative to the other Irish cities. Overall I'm a big fan of what's happened here in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

The city's booming at the moment. Finally recovering from the recession.

Lots of big job announcements recently. I think it's location is an advantage for attracting labour force. Close to Cork, Clare, Galway, Kerry, Tipp, the midlands. Not too far from Dublin.

If the Cleeves site and Colbert quarter get going, it would be a nice bustling little city.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Seems to have become a more attractive destination over the last few years, for industry, shopping and visiting. Imo a positive image of the city was maintained through some difficult years by Munster rugby and boosted hugely by the success of the limerick hurlers over the last 6 years. Just a personal observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Good supply of well educated graduates also who were probably leaving but can stay now.

It could do with a tourist hostel though. The 6 storey old mill on Robert Street would be perfect, near Smyth's.

The council should do it ASAP.

I bet loads of tourists pass through between Galway/Clare/Shannon/Doolin/Bunratty/Adare and Cork/Kerry but don't stay or spend money in Limerick. Maybe another tourist attraction besides the Rugby Experience could draw people in. A Cranberries and Angela's Ashes experience!

Also maybe try to condense the "going out area" into one part of the city with historic pedestrianised streets.

Also they should connect the Greenway with the city. It's about to be connected all the way to Tralee. So a hostel that caters for cyclists would do well.

Maybe with the Adare bypass, a Greenway isn't necessary as people can just cycle the old roads.

Post edited by orangerhyme on

The council won't get involved in building a hostel but someone is planning one in that area. But "a hostel for Limerick" has been on and off for 20 years.

The condensing of hospitality areas is well underway between the Market and Catherine/Thomas St.

The greenway was originally talked about as going all the way to the city but I'm not sure if the Foynes train stops that.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 rdser

Probably more the concerts that get me down to limerick these days. The castle and market are great venues and have some decent acts.

i still think they could at least demolish that retail park in coonagh. Must be like that for 10 or 12 years if not more. Complete eyesore. Surely comes under derelict site.

• Advertisement

LIT/TUS are moving their engineering dept into a section of Coonagh Cross. Work has been underway for a while.

There's also permission gone in to open a gym in another section.

It's not derelict.

Advertisement