Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭sioda

T shirt printing place and a hair dresser is what I remember

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭geotrig

The corner unit where regatta had some sneaker shop as well at some nearer the door side of regatta ,remember it went through numerous closing down sales,that pharmacy must have been knocked through to make a bigger unit i guess , ,golden discs ,lifestyle and quinsworth were its big ones though from memory.

quick google suggest the pharmacy was quinsworth offie at one point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Things have undoubtedly ramped up over the last few years, albeit from a very low base. We shouldn't forget that there was virtually no significant private investment or development in Limerick from 2008 up until 2017/18. In a lot of ways we're playing catch up now for a lost decade.

I was mostly referring to local authority/state/ semi-state projects that promised much but never got off the ground, along with a few private sector ones. The likes of the Limerick regeneration projects, the rejuvenation of Nicholas Street and the "medieval quarter", the refurbishment of the Potato Market and Merchant's Quay area and the development of a public plaza along the Abbey River and a new pedestrian bridge replacing the current structure. The first masterplan for redeveloping Sarsfield House and the Arthur's Quay area was drawn up in 2006 but went nowhere.

A large scale redevelopment project for the docklands was published by Shannon Foynes Port company around the same time but nothing was achieved. There were various other plans and proposals devised also for the regeneration of the area around the Milk Market and for the reconfiguration of Cruise's Street. Not to mention the continually announced plans to upgrade the public realm in the city centre. We've seen a grand total of three streets remodelled over the course of 23 years! That's before we even get on to the likes of the 'Opera site' which has been in the possession of Limerick Council for 13 years and Cleeve's which is heading for 11 years now. The grand plans for the "Colbert Quarter" have also been significantly watered down 6 years after they were announced and without even a planning application being lodged.

That being said I'm fully behind the proposed redevelopment of Arthur's Quay and I sincerely hope it goes ahead. I believe if it's done properly it could play an enormous role in finally reigniting the fortunes of the city centre. A balanced mix of residential, retail and hospitality accommodation should result in a vibrant offering. Maintaining the current footprint of the park is absolutely essential though. It needs to be redesigned also but its dimensions must be preserved and protected.

To create a viable amount of extra space for the redevelopment of the Arthur's Quay centre the multistorey car park will have to go along a good chunk of the existing 3 lane road from Honan's Quay to Rutland Street. Ideally it would be run underground to create a new traffic free urban quarter but I can't see that happening given the likely costs involved. Looking forward to seeing the plans soon hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

I wouldn't be opposed to some of the park being developed in exchange for the quays being entirely pedestrianised and redesigned. A linear park along here would be a huge asset to the city.

We definitely shouldn't be at a loss for public open space as a result of the development though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭HGVRHKYY

Agreed. Redevelop that whole area and have the shopping centre lead out into a pedestrianised park and function area where Arthur's quay park currently is. Each time they do special events (like the ice skating) there, the park grass gets destroyed, so they should come up with a way to have it easily shift between being a nice, quiet third space for people to go to for lunch and in the evenings and a place where these types of events can be held without ruining the area afterwards. If they got rid of sarsfield house as well it would also enable a very nice pedestrianised zone from the bridge all along the river past the hunt and towards the council office - ideally the entire length of the river should be pedestrianised and set up in a way to host all kinds of pop-up events, and the council should then do all kinds of schemes to encourage individuals and SMEs to bring different events and temporary activities to these areas. You would see a major change in the amount of people enjoying time around this area of the city then.

That side of the shopping centre should also have external facing units for bars, cafés, restaurants etc., I've seen similar to this in other countries and it can bring a good atmosphere to the area in the evenings and nighttime, especially when the weather is nice.

If they plan and execute all of this well, and really engage with genuine talent internationally for coming up with the best ways to utilise such a space, you would see an urban space in Limerick that's nicer than probably anywhere else in Irish city centres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,713 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The simple solution would be to move AQ over and have the road go in behind on to Patrick St.

Whatever happens that road needs to be tightened because sweeping turns on a 3 lane road is just encouraging aggressive driving.

The cheapest way to address the issue of diverting traffic and removing the existing road on Arthur's Quay would be to reintroduce a left turn at the Sarsfield Street/O'Connell Street junction and return to a two way traffic arrangement from that junction onwards along Patrick Street to meet the existing outbound lanes at the Rutland Street/Francis Street junction. It would also enable the removal of one of the ludicrous four lanes along Rutland Street, allowing for a wider public footpath along the street where the new city library and refurbished Georgian townhouses will open onto.

A strictly controlled/restricted access lane could be maintained along Arthur's Quay from Liddy Street for services, deliveries, emergency services etc with an exit via Francis Street onto Rutland Street.

There isn't really much room to create a left turn on to O'Connell St.

There is absolutely no need for the 3 lanes around Arthur's Quay so they could be cut down without affecting any other road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

The original masterplan for the area was to continue the road through the park straight from Liddy St, curving right onto Francis St. The idea was to create a larger footprint for a redevelopment of Arthur's Quay and creating a linear park along the river between Sarsfied Bridge and Thomond Bridge, incorporating Arthur's Quay park, the knocking of Sarsfied house, the area behind the Hunt Museum, the Potato Market and the area behind the civic offices /castle.

Yes that was a pretty misguided plan to carve up the park, essentially to preserve the existing over-specced road capacity and facilitate a new M&S store. The plan has been refined since then. Speaking to Council officials and the consultancy group overseeing the framework plan at the participation event last year they admitted that there was significant pushback against downsizing the park. Demolition of Sarsfield House is off the table now also on sustainability grounds. That building can definitely be stripped back and reconfigured anyhow.

I could get on board with extending the footprint of the retail complex onto the site of the old tourist office and the wide footpath to the front of it. Especially if further public space can be created on Honan's Quay by removing the right turn for vehicles in front of the existing entrance to the Arthur's Quay centre.

• Advertisement

Not a hope nowadays that the road would be moved closer to the river. Limerick people actually go outside nowadays and would notice something that stupid.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I don't get the sustainability argument with Sarsfield House. Fair enough if it was to be demolished only to be replaced by a new office block, but the plan was to replace it with an open green space. How is refurbishing it (which would still involve substantial demolition and construction) more sustainable than just removing it?

I'de say knocking buildings is seen as bad optics in the current climate unless they are being rebuilt as an even bigger building.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

There's almost 4 acres of new buildings going in across the road.

I know that but I still don't think people want a perfectly good building knocked for a bit of park space.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭topcat72

Sarsfield House is so ugly, over long ( blocking views upriver) . Repurposing office buildings of this age as housing is difficult and expensive. Once Opera site has enough space to replace the office need, I'd level it were it me. My fear is ( knowing this town) is that everyone moves out into new build across the road, then Sarsfield House is left idle and deteriorating for a decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭geotrig

I stayed in a hotel in one of the nordics that was very similar style to Sarsifleild house architecturally and was pretty cool and funky. I like sarsfield house but have no strong opinions on if it gets knocked or not. the biggest problem in that section is the 3 lane road discecting the park from the city as such and any AQ development, i presume any development would need to keep the orginal georgian fronts on patrick street side ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,336 ✭✭✭✭phog

The Savoy Hotel/complex is built on a site that had a much newer building knocked to make way for it.

That was for another building though not a park.

I'm not against knocking it but I can see why not knocking building would be the politically prudent policy.

If the Greens are out of government next year I think that knocking it will be back on the cards. While we won't move away from most green policies as they're being pushed by the EU, some of the less important ones will go by the wayside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭LeoD

Haha - the few Green TDs in Dáil Eireann are to blame now for Sarsfield House? Your madcap Green Party obsession is fogging up your brain.

What 'madcap Green Party' obsession? I think you're mixing me up with someone else.

Lets have some facts though. While the Greens only have 8 TDs, they have two positions in Cabinet. And one of those is Eamonn Ryan being Minister for the Environment, Climate and Transport. You know, the guy who pushes environmental policies and legislation?

Without the Greens the current government couldn't have been formed. They pushed very hard for environmental policies to be included in the Program for Government and as they had FF/FG over a barrel they had their demands were met. And fair play to them. But your assertion that they have no power over national policy is laughable.

You seem to get a bit over the top about them alright.

Only when it comes to Ryans interference with roads. I've no issue with green policies in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Big Flannery's on Denmark Street is seeking permission to convert most of the place into office space. They will keep the small front bar, the courtyard and the open area upstairs but the big bars to the back (ground floor and first floor) will go.

No surprise there. I've no idea how that bar has survived.

Building the little bar was the only thing they got right.

Absolutely every aspect of the big bar is a disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭adaminho

Spent ages trying to think of the name on Saturday.

I know it was a "Brazilian" name but took me a while to get it. Must have been one of the first modern style cafe menus in Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭James McNulty

Nice to see the Verizon signage has gone up on the new BQ office block. Brings an air of IFSC to Limerick

Advertisement