Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

These will be snapped up as one block by one of the companies in the industrial estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Redliketoast

Listen we need to be realistic. There are shops all over the city who are boarding up windows, locking doors and restricting access. This is down to a certain element getting away with anything they want.

Seans shop here for example. They started keeping this shutter down at one stage and now they have bricked up that section. THEY BRICKED IT UP. How the F did they get permission to do that? Absolutely disgusting. Next door is the bookies who buzz people in. Just up the road you have an offy accross from the Church where you get buzzed in. Although I dont think the buzzer works anymore so they keep it open reluctantly.

We need more gardai around the City. The more the merrier. We can improve anything you want but unless we have that element under control, we wont get to enjoy the improvements.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,038 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

John's Square is a dump I'll give you that. Don't ever remember that off licence having a buzzer although the one used to be next to Donkey's I'm sure did.

I don't believe high street shops around Limerick are locking doors like was claimed and I don't believe Limerick is any more crime ridden than any other city like all the online Maud Flanders like to claim.

And yes we do need more Gardai actually walking around. Don't think anybody disagrees with that.

Firstly. Nobody said "high street shops". This was the quote:

"I don’t think I’d call it sheltered when shops had to lock their front
    doors during the day because of fellas trying to fleece the place/abuse
    staff."

Secondly. Why does it matter if it is a high street shop or a local owned shop in the City?

Yea that off licence had a buzzer for years as it was robbed ALOT. Because it is on a corner there was multiple get aways. Pop in the next time you are close by and you will see a door release button still inside the door.

But not just there. Look at the shop on Catherine street that was on Prime time. Look at the shops on upper Henry street. Look at Mary street. Yes its all sporadic but do these businesses not deserve to operate without some little so and so, stealing or wrecking the place?

I would welcome garda cars parked on every street. Nothing wrong with mobile units set up around the City and have gardai patrolling. When you have a garda car parked in public view, you will have people know there is a presence. That helps deter petty crime.

As for the Maud Flanders remark. Comments like that make people think that calling out petty crime is silly. You might not fear crime in the city but many older folk do. Many young folk do. I personally am not worried about anything happening regardless of where I go in the City. I grew up here and am wise enough not to rise to sillyness. But I know many people who avoid Moyross, Southill, St Marys Park and many streets in the City Centre. Thats hardly "Maud Flanders".

When you have a Garda car parked in public view people think the lads are in getting chips or too lazy to get out of the car. It has to be walking. Nothing else will do.

Again not arguing there isn't a problem with petty theft and am all for it being stopped but places like JD Sports were mentioned as having to lock doors which would be unusual and probably unique for Limerick and I see no evidence for that.

As for Moyross why wouldn't you avoid it. Nothing there but houses. I don't believe for a second people are avoiding certain city centre streets. If they are they are wrong to.

Which shop was on Prime Time out of curiosity ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭manna452121

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

Just over 10 submissions according to the article. Given the population of Raheen, and the general area surrounding the site, that's actually not a lot. I haven't had a chance to read them all or see what grounds they are objecting under, but I imagine it's the usual scale and traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭rjoe90

So because these shops aren’t on high street they should have to put up with these fellas terrorising their businesses?

You must be driving around town with blinkers on. I was driving down by donkey fords last week where a man clearly after taking something with blood pouring from his head was shouting at passerbys, trying to burst into shops. Do you really think this isn’t deterring people from coming into the city?

The fact that Sean’s shop had to close due to them and that the bookies/off license needs to buzz people in tells you all you need to know.

More guards are needed 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭geotrig

thought the same nothing big or really objectional there from a quick glance 2 are resident committees though ,just the usual nimby objections , clicked one handwritten one and " not enough parking spaces" if there was parking it would have being blah blah traffic etc. If people objecting stopped everything we'd never build anything !

capacity wise its on a well serviced bus routes close access to motorways and indusctrial estate , it makes such good sense.

Also the usual cllr letter as well ,now was mr butler not campaigning for more housing during the mayoral election

I don't get why not enough parking is such a concern for people who dont plan on living there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Just want to point out they bricked up that window after someone destroyed the shutter and window trying to break into the shop.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Residents committees are usually highly likely to appeal to ABP. Their objections may be spurious, but unfortunately they're entitled to appeal.

oh i know, i spend way too much time glancing at various objections and it they all the same for the most part.

Yes I know. So we just gonna brick up the whole town if windows get broken? Looks bad and doesn't solve the issue

It was the Spar on the corner by Glentworth Hotel.

In ALL big Cities they have police cars "parked" in busy pedestrian areas. Not in a parking spot but literally on the pavement where people take notice. Its a point were people can go and ask for help. It humanises them but interacting with the public. You can have 2 or 3 just standing around while having others walk and patrol the streets. The trouble with only walking around is it is easy to not see them.

Exactly, more guards are needed to solve the root problem.

I would say "ALL" big cities except Ireland and the UK but as you say they also have some walking around. Just in the car is no good. I wouldn't argue with the idea of doing both and I would add a few on bicycles too (probably too much to ask the Gardai).

Sitting in a car by Supermacs wont help that Spar or anyone else. People going to them for help would be no different to phoning them as the culprit is long gone. If they are walking or cycling around there is some hope they see the little scumbags running for it.

In Liverpool you will always see them parked in the center of Liverpool one. Go to any of the major tourist spots in London and you will see them parked up. Same with the big shopping areas in Manchester.

Essentially we agree with the concept. Maybe I am being more demanding with the numbers needed where you are probably being more reasonable with numbers available. Neither of us want them to sit in the car

I really don't remember seeing them parked up anywhere in London except train station (which would be welcome in Dublin) and around Parliament. I was living/working 10 minutes from the London Eye and I know from experience that Police response time is hours unless you are actively being attacked with a weapon.

I think the Gardai have a huge cultural problem with walking which is why I don't trust them to do anything from inside a car. Something mentioned a lot as the main problems is junkies or minor anti social behaviour which I have seen Garda cars drive past all the time (as well as cars blocking roads). They just don't do anything except go to Enzo's if it involves getting out of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

actually looks better than the shutter being closed all day

• Advertisement

Maybe there it does but if all of highstreets dormant shop fronts were bricked up it would look terrible.

Work has started on the empty lot on the Dock Road at the end of Courtbrack Avenue. The one with all the graffiti.

It's to be a single storey warehouse/distribution centre for Jack Fitzgerald according to the planning docs.

A couple of facts about AGS from someone who used to be one.

1. When I was in, Enzos provided prisoner meals to Henry St, that's why guards were there multiple times a day. Most of the lads I worked with (granted not all) tried to eat healthy and stay away from fast food. But sometimes nothing but a battered sausage will do.
    2. Garda numbers are dropping, we should have about 18k for the population in the country but are struggling to hit 14k.
    3. Because of the lower numbers there's fewer guards to answer calls and they now spend their tour going from call to call to call. It's not ideal and they would rather be working more proactively, but just don't have the numbers to do it. If they were to put just 2 members on beat in the city centre then that's fewer calls being answered from people reporting crimes.

The answer is more guards, but that means improving their lot, better pay and conditions, and a change at the top will help. Everyone I talk to that's still in the job have said that the amount of paper and arse covering that's started since Drew Harris became commissioner is making the job almost unmanageable.

Numbers are dropping but before they started dropping and before Drew Harris they were notorious for never being the streets.

That post sounds like someone trying to protect the culture of never getting out of the car.

Ide be all for better conditions and more Gardai but I don't trust ye to actually hit the streets when that happens. Or maybe ye will and be like the traffic wardens I see every day hiding out not doing their job

Oh sorry, I let my facts get in the way of your rant. Just a clarification, I said, former member here not current. I left in 2011 and beat was a standard duty back then. At the time we had 30 guards and 3 sergeants on a unit in Limerick, now there's between 15 to 20 to do the same job. That might sound like a lot, but you take Annual Leave, and long term sick/injury leave out you're probably left with closer to 20. 2 in the comms room, a jailer, 1 in the public office that brings it down to 16. During a weekday you'll usually have 4 or 5 in court, bringing you down to 11. When I was in there were 3 armed posts providing protection details that also came off the regular unit, that was another 6 gone, leaving only 4 or 5 members to actually police the city. Beat takes a back seat then to fill the 2 patrol cars and actually have calls answered. At night, especially at the weekends, and on weekend days there would be beat patrols out because there was no court.

Beat was always a focus, it's high visibility, and having a member slowly stroll through an area gives great impact, but in recent times it's apparently just not feasible. There is a problem within the guards, but it's not with the regular members trying to do the job, it's with management and the DoJ.

I'm just trying to point out that the person on the street doesn't have a clue what it going on day to day within the organisation or even within the car going past. The biggest issue I have with the current regime is the focus on reactive policing rather than proactive policing. Being a slave to the radio and often not having time to take a proper meal break means that the minor things that you see as you're driving around get overlooked in favour of the specific task set by control.

I want to see a drastic improvement in policing of this city, but the way to do it is not to talk down the few that have remained to do the job, but to aim the vitriol at the ones responsible for the crap conditions that have led to this situation. The Minister/DoJ who I'm sure we all agree is diabolically bad, Garda Management who are creating an environment of CYA instead of doing the job, and the Judiciary for the no door justice system where the vast majority get suspended sentences.

All the complaints about lack of "a beat" were there back in 2011 so you are being very rose tinted about your own time. It's been a well discussed issue since at least 2003 when I began working in the city centre.

I wouldn't argue with you about the rest of it and I'de say few would but it ain't linked to why we have not had a visible Garda presence in decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Even picked up by BBC 🙁 just when you think the city is on the up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

1BQ up on daft https://www.daft.ie/for-rent/apartment-the-residence-1bq-/5772006 €2600 euro a month for a 1 bed 1 bath

Thats what? 40k ish a year before tax just to be able to afford the rent before you can even buy a pot noodle

• Advertisement

Saw it last night and was astounded at how crap the daft posting is for a luxury apartment, then saw kmpm and wasn't anymore 😅 not sure we have the market yet at that level, think they would have been better off selling these instead of offering for rent

Advertisement