Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It looks like work is finally starting on the Careys Rd flats. The road and footpath in front of the flats has been closed off and a new temporary footpath created.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

Is this by the train station? Are they knocking them down or what's the plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭sioda

Full refurbishment of the existing 3 storey blocks

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

If memory serves, that block of flats were vacated due to concerns with fire safety with the walls? Would imagine that'll take several months to fix. Don't understand why the across the green and the ones on Careys Road were knocked and not these ones?

If memory serves, that block of flats were vacated due to concerns with fire safety with the walls? Would imagine that'll take several months to fix. Don't understand why the across the green and the ones on Careys Road were knocked and not these ones?

They originally were supposed to be demolished but the council had a policy change and decided to refurb rather than demolish derelict housing stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

dave 27 wrote: »
    Is this by the train station? Are they knocking them down or what's the plan?

There's an image on the barriers of the proposed plan; Redbrick type apartments - They look cheap enough. It's a pity as that square has so much potential especially after opening up the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

sioda wrote: »
    Full refurbishment of the existing 3 storey blocks

Often, I support refurbishments of buildings rather than demolitions but that terrace of flats is so ugly, I can't imagine any amount of money thrown at it would make any significant improvement. They scream ugly 60s/70s corporation and are the first thing that always greeted me when I used to get the bus to Limerick during my college years. Considering the major plaza improvements they are doing to the neighbouring Colbert station, it's a pity that they couldn't demolish and build high quality, high density mixed social and private, affordable apartments in this location to complement the plaza. (EG 4 to 5 storey). Wasted opportunity!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

ongarboy wrote: »
    Often, I support refurbishments of buildings rather than demolitions but that terrace of flats is so ugly, I can't imagine any amount of money thrown at it would make any significant improvement. They scream ugly 60s/70s corporation and are the first thing that always greeted me when I used to get the bus to Limerick during my college years. Considering the major plaza improvements they are doing to the neighbouring Colbert station, it's a pity that they couldn't demolish and build high quality, high density mixed social and private, affordable apartments in this location to complement the plaza. (EG 4 to 5 storey). Wasted opportunity!

They held up well for their age. Very solidly constructed like a lot of stuff that was built in the 60s and 70s. It is a waste of money pulling down things that have the potential to be repaired just because they don't fit in with some peoples ideas about what is aesthetically pleasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

The planning application for the Bishop's Quay redevelopment was lodged last Friday.

http://eplan.limerick.ie/AppFileRefDetails/16800/0

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

They held up well for their age. Very solidly constructed like a lot of stuff that was built in the 60s and 70s. It is a waste of money pulling down things that have the potential to be repaired just because they don't fit in with some peoples ideas about what is aesthetically pleasing.

Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong place as Google Maps calls it Hyde Road. Is it this block that you are saying has stood the test of time? If so, we'll agree to disagree on what is aesthetically pleasing.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.6578854,-8.6249089,3a,75y,136.06h,84.71t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sVpuCc2zvDd3s654F5Cco5Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong place as Google Maps calls it Hyde Road. Is it this block that you are saying has stood the test of time? If so, we'll agree to disagree on what is aesthetically pleasing.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.6578854,-8.6249089,3a,75y,136.06h,84.71t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sVpuCc2zvDd3s654F5Cco5Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Some say Dermot Bannon and Kevin mcCloud have been deadlocked in a week long twitter spat to see who can shower most praise on architectural wonders at play here.

There is some mention of pitching them against Barcelona's Gaudi architecture.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

That's the spot, we are thinking about the same buildings. The potential exists to repair and upgrade them at a fraction of the cost of tearing them down and rebuilding. A wise move I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Good to see them being renovated. Dublin very much regrets the loss of the Ballymun towers which were in perfect working order. Families in need of social housing are now put in the travel lodge down the road instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrJones2013

There's a very interesting write up on the Bishops Quay development on the Limerick Life newspaper.....cannot find the link on line but well worth a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

There's a very interesting write up on the Bishops Quay development on the Limerick Life newspaper.....cannot find the link on line but well worth a read.

So it seems Lord of the Dance Michael Flatley could be King of Limerick's waterfront revival (Twitter LimerickCityBiz)

https://twitter.com/limerickcitybiz/status/773496732135124992

Vanquished wrote: »
    The planning application for the Bishop's Quay redevelopment was lodged last Friday.

http://eplan.limerick.ie/AppFileRefDetails/16800/0
    Demolition of the former ESB premises, demolition of rear annex, circa 1868, and demolition of 20thcentury staircase additions to No. 104 Henry St., known as ‘The Bishop’s Palace’.

Change of use of No. 104 Henry Street, known as ‘The Bishop’s Palace,’ from commercial use to residential use to provide 7 no. apartments, and all ancillary development works, including refurbishment and restoration of the building, change of use of the 2-storey over basement building on Henry Street known as ‘The Coach House’ from commercial use to café/restaurant use and all ancillary development works, including refurbishment and restoration of the building.

Construction of a commercial building comprising 15-storeys over 2 basement levels fronting Lower Cecil Street and Bishop’s Quay, and comprising 4-storeys fronting Henry Street, to provide 14,325sq.m. approx. of office floor space overall and 2 no. café/restaurant units.

Construction of a residential building comprising 7-storeys over 2-basement levels fronting Bishop’s Quay to provide 35 no. apartments.

Replacement of an existing surface car-park to the front of No. 104 Henry Street with a new public plaza; and public footpath upgrade works along Bishop’s Quay, Lower Cecil Street and Henry Street.

Vehicular access serving the development via a proposed entrance point on Lower Cecil Street. Car parking spaces at ground floor level (Level 0) and 2 basement levels (Level -1 & Level -2).

Cycle parking spaces.

Communal and private open space to include a roof garden and gym pavilion to the residential building, a landscaped courtyard at podium level (Level 1) linking the new residential block with No. 104 Henry Street, and balconies.

Removal of existing sub-station and provision of new sub-station within the development fronting Lower Cecil Street.

The development will also include surface water attenuation tanks, general plant, storage areas, shower facilities and refuse management zones at basement level; signage; diversion of underground services; set-down areas; and all related site development and excavation works above and below ground all on a site of 0.4ha approx.

Received Date: 02/09/2016
    Decision Due Date: 27/10/2016
    The planning department have only 55 days to evaluate this major development!

Can only hope that the architects Healy & Partners have done their homework.

As of yet there are no scanned files uploaded for the public to view.

The refurbishment and restoration plans for the ‘Bishop’s Palace’ and ‘Coach House’ sound good. (NIAH record and images)

New public plaza: Will the existing surface car-park to the front of No. 103 Henry Street be included as well?

Definitely the further away the entrance to the underground car park is from the river, the better!

29608644725_09058ce26b_c.jpg

29318300690_7055e46d6f_c.jpg

I tried to zoom into those Bishop Quay renders but failed to get a bit more detail out of them (see larger views A, B, C + D).

Will the architects use green glass for the tower, similar to the glass they used in the City East Plaza office building?

Interesting enough, the very same architects designed the Hanging Gardens across the road, will all this be built at the one time?

The Butlers and the Healys are back in business!

29527721311_b07a69ecb5_c.jpg

29318187220_a632d12b1c_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Healy's designed the original Hanging Gardens project back in 2008 or so. They didn't do a great job of it. The new design (above) i think is done by Carr Cotter Associates and is a much improved design.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I think it looks pretty cool.

The irregular windows really capture the light in interesting ways. I like the red vertical too.

I also like the focus on the waterfront and the Shannon. Thats really got to be the future for Limerick. Its ridiculous that Dunnes havr been able to hang on to that Arthurs Quay site for example

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭DeWinterZero

I'm wondering what the back of the new tower will be. For the first time ever I've a nice view out my window and the tower will be in the middle of it. Is it windows all the way around because a plain concrete wall will be fair ugly.

• Advertisement

29077179344_6501171578_c.jpg

The council have uploaded the planning files for the public to view.

A lot of material to be read.

Surprised to see brick being used on the Henry Street side, then again red brick is a dominant building material in Limerick city.

If this goes through, then the building materials used will have to be of the best quality otherwise this tower won’t compliment the high rise Riverpoint complex in its present form.

There were also two other building options considered for this site.

Image above, taken from the old Grain Store building in the direction of the Bishops Gate building. (Carr Cotter Naessens Architects.)

Larger sizes A, B and C,

29622415651_57b3ba895a_c.jpg

29077136374_0a54f6fc4c_c.jpg

Found another perspective for the development of the former GPO incorporating the 'Hanging Gardens', Henry Street and no. 19 Henry Street.

29655719061_3a40d67a10_c.jpg

Zooming in on the tower there it says 67.25, is that the actual height of the building or what is that height taken from?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

Zooming in on the tower there it says 67.25, is that the actual height of the building or what is that height taken from?

Height of tallest point of the building

I understand that but is it from ground level or something stupid like sea level? It would mean it would be quite a bit taller than river point and the clarion even though it doesn't look it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

It looked taller than Riverpoint in one of the mock ups but shorter in another. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Anatidaephobia

I can't tell whether it's a typo or just a difficult to read font, but it's probably supposed to be 57.25m. The lower height says 54.40 and 2.8m sounds right for a storey. That would make it barely a metre shorter than riverpoint.

Major investment plans for Limerick to be unveiled

Looks like the 2030 plan may be about to get some flesh on its bones. Limerick Twenty Thirty DAC being set up to run the developments.

It's probably mentioned before but when deputies officially get the go ahead? I.e how many days does it take for a project to get through the process?

• Advertisement

It's probably mentioned before but when deputies officially get the go ahead? I.e how many days does it take for a project to get through the process?

Decision due date is 27/10/2016.

Advertisement