Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrJones2013

Major investment plans for Limerick to be unveiled

Looks like the 2030 plan may be about to get some flesh on its bones. Limerick Twenty Thirty DAC being set up to run the developments.

We'll see in an hour or so what the announcement entails, positive stuff though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Major investment plans for Limerick to be unveiled

Looks like the 2030 plan may be about to get some flesh on its bones. Limerick Twenty Thirty DAC being set up to run the developments.

There's precious few developments in Limerick 2030, but the report is being bandied about as if it's a detailed blueprint for the development of the city. It's clearly not. The fact that there's now a development company being set up to push through development plans that don't exist is more than a little concerning.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

zulutango wrote: »
    There's precious few developments in Limerick 2030, but the report is being bandied about as if it's a detailed blueprint for the development of the city. It's clearly not. The fact that there's now a development company being set up to push through development plans that don't exist is more than a little concerning.

You could at least wait until after the announcement and actually see what it entails before pissing on it.

You could at least wait until after the announcement and actually see what it entails before pissing on it.

There's reason enough to be concerned, given my point above, don't you agree?

I'm going to go to the press conference anyway, and see what it's all about.

There's reason enough to be concerned, given my point above, don't you agree?

I'm going to go to the press conference anyway, and see what it's all about.

I've already stated many times that the original plan is delusional, but that doesn't mean that I'm going to pre judge any announcements before I've actually heard any details.

• Advertisement

I've already stated many times that the original plan is delusional, but that doesn't mean that I'm going to pre judge any announcements before I've actually heard any details.

I'm not pre-judging anything. Just voicing reasonable concern at the setting up of a development company to drive through plans that don't exist. I'll wait to hear what they say though. Here now among the great and the good of Limerick society.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

More details here

https://www.limerick.ie/sites/default/files/atoms/files/limerick_recovery_to_accelerate_as_new_company_launched_to_deliver_eu500m_plus_in_inward_investment_assets.pdf
    The four key sites prioritised for Limerick Twenty Thirty DAC are:

The 112,000 sq ft Gardens International Office on Henry Street

The 550,000sq ft Opera Site at Rutland Street

The Cleeves Riverside Campus on the banks of the River Shannon at Fernhill
    comprising 8 acres and 100,000 sq ft of existing s
    pace

The 340,000 sq ft Troy Studios Film Hub in Castletroy, where an €8m fit out is
    nearing completion ahead of the commencement of production

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mart 23

Hi I would like to know how much these people are been paid to repeat the same announcements over and over again. When are we going to hear of actual bulding taking place. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

mart 23 wrote: »
    Hi I would like to know how much these people are been paid to repeat the same announcements over and over again. When are we going to hear of actual bulding taking place. ?

Lots. Never.

Hi I would like to know how much these people are been paid to repeat the same announcements over and over again. When are we going to hear of actual building taking place. ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Ah here, ;) do you need them to spell it out for you? (heavy sarcasm lol)

"The Designated Activity Company is channeling the required synergy now to accelerate the special purpose vehicle into the post brexit space."

We're launching a rocket! A rocket base will rise from the stalled Horizon Mall.

Conn Murray is being feted as some kind of visionary at this press conference.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrJones2013

I fell for the trap thinking that there has been a definite detailed plan put in place and announced.....how naïve

So, I'm back.

There isn't too much to report really. They've set up a company to advance the plans for the Opera site, the Hanging Gardens and Cleeves. That's not a bad thing. I think the main point of the whole thing is to sell Limerick to investors, and get the various businesses on message.

Funnily enough, every time the various speakers mentioned The Hanging Gardens, they followed by saying "from now on to be referred to as The Gardens". I can see why they want to drop the word 'hanging'. People (and by people I mean investors) will think that it was a place for public executions rather than a horticulturalist's paradise.

In terms of dates, they're talking about the new year to have contractors on site in The Gardens (formerly known as The Hanging Gardens). Money is allocated. That will definitely happen.

They don't see the Opera site (formerly The Opera Centre) progressing until the Hanging .. I mean, The Gardens is finished. 2018 at earliest. The masterplan looks pretty good though, and it's a hell of a lot better for the city than the shopping centre for that site would have been.

All the speakers made a point of impressing upon those gathered that we should start to see Limerick as a city of 200,000 people and everything we do should be with that in mind.

Overall, they're saying all the right things. They made a big play on getting people to live in the city centre again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

In terms of dates, they're talking about the new year to have contractors on site in The Gardens (formerly known as The Hanging Gardens). Money is allocated. That will definitely happen.

They don't see the Opera site (formerly The Opera Centre) progressing until the Hanging .. I mean, The Gardens is finished. 2018 at earliest. The masterplan looks pretty good though, and it's a hell of a lot better for the city than the shopping centre for that site would have been.

All the speakers made a point of impressing upon those gathered that we should start to see Limerick as a city of 200,000 people and everything we do should be with that in mind.

Overall, they're saying all the right things. They made a big play on getting people to live in the city centre again.

Overall, it seems to be a positive development, and a step in the right direction at least. Being the biggest development outside of Dublin certainly shows ambition. In relation to the Opera site, what are the plans for this now that it isn't going to be a shopping centre anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭geotrig

. In relation to the Opera site, what are the plans for this now that it isn't going to be a shopping centre anymore?

best decision ever.. I never liked that idea ...I do think the city needs a proper shopping centre though but there was always a 1000 beter places to buy to do this

ZULTANGO wrote: »
    .All the speakers made a point of impressing upon those gathered that we should start to see Limerick as a city of 200,000 people and everything we do should be with that in mind
    someone should buy them a copy of sim city on the snes to give them some ideas :pac:

Overall, it seems to be a positive development, and a step in the right direction at least. Being the biggest development outside of Dublin certainly shows ambition. In relation to the Opera site, what are the plans for this now that it isn't going to be a shopping centre anymore?

Offices and residential mainly. They're talking about the area as being Limerick's financial centre, and capitalising on Brexit, presumably to lure big financial and legal companies to the city centre.

The big point was to position Limerick as a mid-size European city, not simply an Irish one. It was quite ambitious stuff, and high time that this is coming from the top level.

Hi When in the new year do they expect to have contractors on the Gardens site and when can we expect to see building plans for the Opera site. ?

Hi When in the new year do they expect to have contractors on the Gardens site and when can we expect to see building plans for the Opera site. ?

Contractors on site immediately in the New Year, i.e. January. I think they said plans for the Opera site will be available to view in the coming months. It's only a masterplan though. It is likely to change.

• Advertisement

so are we still designing stuff and not thinking of deliveries... tbh I'm not sure what is going into that opera centre ...I take it the middle section isn't for deliveries anyway.

geotrig wrote: »
    so are we still designing stuff and not thinking of deliveries... tbh I'm not sure what is going into that opera centre ...I take it the middle section isn't for deliveries anyway.

You can tell that by looking at the arial view of a masterplan? It's already been confirmed that the Tax office is relocating from River House to a new building in the Opera development and that UL and LIT will move facilities and student accomodation here as well. I'm not sure how much space will be needed for deliveries to office blocks and college dorms.

cool, I couldn't see the detail of what was going there only the picture of the actual are,was just wandering what was planned to go there as there have been so many plans I wasn't sure anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

You can tell that by looking at the arial view of a masterplan? It's already been confirmed that the Tax office is relocating from River House to a new building in the Opera development and that UL and LIT will move facilities and student accomodation here as well. I'm not sure how much space will be needed for deliveries to office blocks and college dorms.

I think it's a great move to get a UL & LIT presence (however small) into the city centre. I know there is another thread on the Limerick forum giving about about student activities at night, but it cannot be argued that having a student population will bring some much-needed life into the city centre.

Limerick City and County Council is looking for the public’s views on plans for O’Connell Street in Limerick City Centre.
    Design Consultants Arup along with Limerick City and County Council staff will be on
    Bedford Row on Thursday, 22nd September 2016 from 12.30pm to 3pm looking for your views on O’Connell Street, and how best to improve the street
    https://t.co/ehYzGEcwm7

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Offices and residential mainly. They're talking about the area as being Limerick's financial centre, and capitalising on Brexit, presumably to lure big financial and legal companies to the city centre.

The big point was to position Limerick as a mid-size European city, not simply an Irish one. It was quite ambitious stuff, and high time that this is coming from the top level.

I do like the idea of an IFSC type area for Limerick in this area, and if done correctly, could be a great move towards revitalising the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Limerick City and County Council is looking for the public’s views on plans for O’Connell Street in Limerick City Centre.
    Design Consultants Arup along with Limerick City and County Council staff will be on
    Bedford Row on Thursday, 22nd September 2016 from 12.30pm to 3pm looking for your views on O’Connell Street, and how best to improve the street
    https://t.co/ehYzGEcwm7

I sincerely hope that they will be bringing some firm proposals and presentations to this event. It's 9 months since funding was approved and 3 months since design consultants were appointed. It's high time that we at least got an insight in to how the project is evolving.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

I was waiting for the other foot to drop re all these developments... and it has! Local Property Tax to increase by 10%.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/216411/limerick-councillors-vote-to-increase-lpt-by-10.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

I was waiting for the other foot to drop re all these developments... and it has! Local Property Tax to increase by 10%.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/216411/limerick-councillors-vote-to-increase-lpt-by-10.html

The investment plans for the city centre are being funded through other revenue sources. They are not in any way dependent on property tax receipts.

Councillors foolishly decided to cut the rate last year in a move fuelled by populism and political point scoring. Any increase in funding for local services should be welcomed.

Advertisement